Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 AM

13 posts, read 44,773 times

Advertisements

Any comments on how South Plainfield, just west of 59 around Theodore Rd and Canton Farm Rd? Looking to purchase a home out there after a townhouse deal in East Aurora fell through. I know traffic is a nightmare, but I only have to commute a couple days a week. Any comments on the diversity, friendliness, neighbors? May partner and I want an area with relatively low crime and friendly neighbors. We are younger, in our late 20s and just want to find a home we can afford. This seems to be an affordable area.

Thanks,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,202 times
I'm from out of town, and when I went to visit Aurora (amongst Romeoville, Bolingbrook, Crest Hill, and Plainfield) to look for a home, the realtor told me just to stay away from the area outside Hometown Aurora, along Montgomery and 31, where there were some trailer parks. Don't know if that's credible, and anywhere near where you're looking, but that's my 2 cents. I agree there's some affordable housing out there in Aurora, some really nice, but my wife doesn't want to head out there because of its reputation (with all due respect to Aurora residents).

Old 12-11-2008, 09:18 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,068 times
I've lived in the area you mentioned (west of rt. 59/Theodore) for a little over a year and we like it. Our neighbors are really friendly and we have had no problems with crime. There's lots of new shopping popping up all the time and they are due to begin a huge outdoor mall nearby at the intersection of I80 and I55 next year. (Bridge Street Town Center) I'm not sure if you have kids and if schools are a concern, but just to let you know, Theodore serves as a school district boundary. Anything North of Theodore is going to be Plainfield Schools, anything South of Theodore is going to be Troy/Shorewood elementary schools, but Joliet West High School. (And Joliet HS's don't have the best rep, so if you have kids you may want to stay out of that district.) Once you get West of County Line Road/South of Theodore it becomes Minooka schools. (This is where I live.) So anyway, I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions about the area.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,719 times
We've lived in the area between Theodore and Caton Farm Roads, west of 59 for 8+ years. Traffic can be bad, as you've heard, but they are widening the roads all the time. Eventually, it will catch up to the population. I love our house, like our neighbors, love the bountiful shopping areas, love our clubhouse and pool, like our High School (Plainfield South--fine arts are the best, academics not so much). All-in-all, it is safe, suburban and sprawling. Kids are coddled here, wealthy parents (mostly blue collar). It's hard being a teacher here, but construction workers are king. Unions are big. Hope this gives you some idea. We have been very happy here.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 AM

358 posts, read 847,431 times
I don't think anyone really knows the answer to this. The edge of the universe is Rt. 59. I didn't realize anything existed beyond there.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:56 PM

56 posts, read 166,556 times
In addition to all of the comments that have been made, poe8, you should consider that the area you are referring to is actually Joliet. I believe the area has a Plainfield mailing adress but it is within the Joliet city limits. I don't think you would benefit from Plainfield services such as the library system, if that's something that you want.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I'd worry a lot less about the library than having the potential of buying into an area that is unlikely to match appreciation of areas that have a more stable base of value. While I do not know what the OP considers "affordable" I know there are literally DOZENS AND DOZENS of foreclosures in 60544/60586 and some of the areas are going to take a loooooooooooooooooong time to recover...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs