Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 16,426 times

Advertisements

Actually work is taking me to Adventist Hosp in Hinsdale and I've been browsing around for apartments online in a variety of locations(oak brook, westmont, downers grove, la grange, willow brook etc...) yet everything i see online has a horrid review. (everyone complains about section 8's? - pray tell what is that?)

Are there any good apartment complexes in or around Hinsdale? Any recommendations of where to live? I don't mind a 20-30 minute commute if need be.

How is Hinsdale and the surround areas in general? typical suburb? made more for families rather than a single guy bumming it up?

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 PM

358 posts, read 847,333 times
Uhhhh, what? What the heck are you reading atbin? Hinsdale is insanely expensive and upper class. One of the richest towns in the burbs. Oak Brook even more so. All of the other towns you mentioned are nice suburbs. As far as apartments go, I'd recommend apartmentratings.com. Sec. 8 are govt. subsidized renters. Hinsdale has very little apartment stock. You'll probably end up in Willowbrook, La Grange, Darien or Westmont. Many of these towns have smaller apt. complexes along their metra train cooridor. Nightlife is dead. Hinsdale is dry. They are mostly quiet family towns. You probably need to go north/south or to the city for nightclubs. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 PM

i could care less about the nightlife, ill be working like a dog

perhaps more of what im seeing is just disgruntled old tennants badmouthing the management. thats mainly whats on apartmentratings for most of the major buildings

Old 12-17-2008, 02:37 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
There are some larger apartments in unincorporated eastern DuPage along Rte 83 that have Hinsdale mailing addresses. Pretty crummy reputations. They feed into Hinsdale South HS, but are really not convenient to the hospital.

As the hospital is just north of the Metra tracks and close to the east edge of Hinsdale it is convenient to take the train and rent anywhere that you can reasonably commute via BNSF. If you want to drive you can easily live in about a 10-25 mile radius that would reach Oak Park, Forest Prk, LaGrange, Downers Grove, Naperville.

Hinsdale itself is very much family oriented. Frankly the surrounding areas are too, though they are not as pricey. Depending on your age and expectation you may better off looking toward the far end of the commute circle that I outlined...

Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are some larger apartments in unincorporated eastern DuPage along Rte 83 that have Hinsdale mailing addresses. Pretty crummy reputations. They feed into Hinsdale South HS, but are really not convenient to the hospital.

As the hospital is just north of the Metra tracks and close to the east edge of Hinsdale it is convenient to take the train and rent anywhere that you can reasonably commute via BNSF. If you want to drive you can easily live in about a 10-25 mile radius that would reach Oak Park, Forest Prk, LaGrange, Downers Grove, Naperville.
Thank you bringing up the rail system, I didn't notice that actually, that does expand my horizons a bit. I'd prefer to not use my car.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:43 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
Hinsdale is a lovely place and I would love to live there. I am not sure if there are any apartments. You could also try Clarendon Hills. Hinsdale has a nice downtown center. Possibly some of the flats above the stores are apartments and might be rented out.

I looked on craigslist and there are houses and apt for rent in hinsdale right now.

1 Bedrooms Available in Hinsdale (http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/apa/961716152.html - broken link)

There are a couple of houses for rent too.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:33 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
There are a handful of apartment in Hinsdale's downtown. mostly walkups over retail. There is are some large condo /townhouse developments on Hinsdale's north edge that have rentals, very much a retiree market.

Just west of HInsdale Central High School off od 55th St there is mid sized apartment complex -- lots of folks fit to get in for the schools.

All-in-all a single guy is going to be a rarity in town, which depending on one's orientation might be a good thing...

Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 AM

358 posts, read 847,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbinthemix View Post
i could care less about the nightlife, ill be working like a dog

perhaps more of what im seeing is just disgruntled old tennants badmouthing the management. thats mainly whats on apartmentratings for most of the major buildings
Yeah, aptratings is perfect for that, the less disgruntled tenants- the better the place is.
Anyway, if your taking the train, that's perfect. The hospital is right on the Metra line, and if you don't mind the noise, there are tons of apartments along that line. You might have to drive the cooridor to find a place, because they are mostly smaller complexes and single apts., but it's probably worth it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs