Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 20,977 times

Advertisements

We will be starting a search for a home in either Downers or Wheaton. We absolutely have to be near a train station no matter which way we go. My question is, are there schools or districts I should stay away from? We have a 2 year old, and are coming from Barrington (one of the best school districts from what I understand) so we'd like to be in a school that's comparable. If anyone can help me narrow down some areas to search in, that would be helpful. Oh, and I'm not interested in a tear-down. I am a preservationist, and if I can update and rehab an older home, that is my goal. Happy new year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
If you are looking at the incorporated portion of Downers Grove the majority of that is part of District 58. Those are all "making adequate progress" as defined by the weak Illinois tests. Interactive Illinois Report Card

Similarly all the majority of schools covering Wheaton are part of U200, all of them are in the "adequate progress" category. Interactive Illinois Report Card

On the same train line as Wheaton you may wish to explore Glen Ellyn:
Interactive Illinois Report Card

On the BNSF a few towns east of Downers Grove you may wish to explore the towns that are covered by D181: Interactive Illinois Report Card

Older homes are also available in those areas.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 PM

610 posts, read 2,728,163 times
I can report on Wheaton since that is where I have lived for almost 30 years and have taught school there. If you purchase within walking distance to town/train you will be in Wheaton Schools (Dist 200). Most of downtown is serviced by Longfellow Elementary but if you buy south of Roosevelt you will be in the Whittier attendance area. If you are bit east of downtown that can filter into Lowell school and a bit west of town can be Emerson School. All of the schools are very good. Roosevelt Road is the dividing line right now for Wheaton North vs. WW South High school. Your children are young enough that the boundaries could change in the next 10-15 years. Many people like the Whittier area because the grade school and middle school are very close and most kids can walk to school. Longfellow feeds into Franklin Middle school which is also in town and kids can walk but they are not as close together as Whittier and Edison. Lowell is somewhat close to Franklin Middle school. Emerson attends Monroe Middle school. You have lots of options to purchase in town and be close to the train. I would high recommend Wheaton for a young family and if you have any specific questions feel free to DM me. Good luck to you!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:33 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,199 times
I have lived in both and both are highly recommended! I don't have kids and have been out of highschool for awhile, but from what I know both towns have excellent schools although Wheaton may be better.

I would say that the downtown area of Downer's Grove is better than Wheaton. There are more restaurants, and better stores, and the Tivoli theater all in walking distance. Also, I think it will be easier to find a house to renovate, if that's what you want to do, in DG. A lot of the homes in walking distance to Wheaton's downtown have already been restored, more so than in DG, so it just depends on what you are looking for.

Another thing to consider is that Wheaton is much more conservative and church-oriented than Downer's Grove, whether that is good or bad is up to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs