Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

I was out driving around the western suburbs today, and after spending some time in Berwyn and Brookfield I ended up in LaGrange looking at houses from the street. Going north from the Metra tracks I ventured into LaGrange Park for perhaps the first time (other than driving through), and I noticed that the area just north of the LaGrange border looks quite similar to the historic heart of LaGrange. Exploring further, I noticed that the balance of newer to older homes is more in favor of newer homes in LaGrange Park, but there are still some great historic ones too within walking distance of downtown LaGrange!

I don't know much about LaGrange Park, but notice that it feeds into Lyons Township High School. Can anyone provide more information on this town? How does it differ from LaGrange and Western Springs? Are the elementary schools good? What's the culture like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 AM

111 posts, read 381,260 times
I've mentioned this before, but it seems to me the LaGrange Park is one of the hidden gems of the western suburbs, particularly from a value perspective. The homes aren't--as a rule--as large as those in LaGrange, but there are some very attractive areas. The other parts of the village are nice as well--perhaps smaller lots, but very well-maintained. The schools are also first-rate--the elementary schools have a fine reputation, part of the village feeds into Lyons Township, another part into Riverside-Brookfield. Nazarath High School provides a private school option as well. There's no real downtown to speak of--31st street is the main commercial area, but LaGrange is very close, and that provides a downtown area. The only downside is transportation, as the northern section of the village is not realistic walking distance to the Metra stops at LaGrange and Stone Park. Still, it's a short drive, and I think there is parking available. Home prices also seem reasonable--350K to 600k range. I'm not sure how to describe the culture--I think it identifies with LaGrange (that is, people look to LaGrange for entertainment and shopping), even if they are in the RB district (of course, people in the RB district also look to LaGrange for a lot of this as well). There's a YMCA on 31st street, and a private swim club in town (for some reason, private swim clubs are the order of the day in the western burbs from Riverside out to Hinsdale--not many public pools). In sum, it's a very nice little town, and if one is looking for a home in the western suburbs, it merits a close look.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
There are a number of different parts of LaGrange Park, most are pretty pricey and the housing stock in some parts is pretty much identical to LaGrange. Just east of Nazareth Academy, north of Ogden and west of LaGrange is probably the most desirable part of LGP -- close to forest preseve. There is very little 'cut through' traffic and nice mix of housing. Some of the lots are MUCH larger than the typical in-town LaGrange lot, others are about the same. The variability hurts some folks on their tax bills, but it is trade-off. North of 31st there is another "traditional" subdivision that has a Sherwood Forest / Robin Hood theme and somewhat newer housing. Lots of stuff is never expanded. The LGP post office is near there. Downside are the freight tracks that run N-S across 31st -- longish tie-ups are common. Section east of LaGrange Rd and south of 31st is mostly 50's bungalows/ranches/capes. Most are in good shape, but not roomy. Plus is there is a Jewel that is walking distance, and the LGP Public Library.

All-in-all you give up the "walk to train" set-up of most of LaGrange, though in good weather a bicycle is feasible to the Metra station (and certin portions of LaGrange itslef are farther to the train anyhow). There is probably some trade-off with regard to Country Club and Churches too -- a little different feel than having things as laid out as in LaGrange.
Schools are at least as good as LaGrange, though selling prices / property are about the same as LaGrange, so for many it just comes down to the "right mix" of housing styles they like and an acceptable tradeoff for commute and other aspects...

Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 PM

I think for our purposes we will treat La Grange, La Grange Park, and Western Springs equally in terms of a home search, but will focus instead on the individual property's distance to the Metra stops and distance to ammenities like stores and schools. We're hoping to live with one car (or at least mostly with one car), and feel this could be done near the intersection of La Grange Road and Hillgrove/Burlington Avenues. We're focussing on the western suburb corridor between Oak Park and Western Springs, but seem to be turning away from Brookfield and Berwyn for now. I still think a move is two or three years away for us, however, and we're still not sure we're leaving the city. My wife REALLY likes La Grange right now, though.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 PM

Subtle differences -- if you want the breakdown on the best school attendance area, that does influence folks. I know more than few folks that have practically a fetish about living SQUARELY inside the approved attendance zone for the best school, for fear that home very a dividing line might end up on the wrong end of redrawing of attendance areas. Personally I think this is little nuts, but with some folks...

I also have to think that the pluses and minuses of individual houses has at least as much to do with how your kids turn out as the schools within a good distrint -- if place has nice yard and good neighbor kids it is certainly going to be better than having "best in district" school but a yard that kids refuse to enter as it is not equipped with any swingset as dad sunk every last dime into "best in neighborhood" house...

You should keep an eye for the foreclosures, not many, but some are really good values. When people did good work but got in too deep to afford the rates on maxed out loans no reason to let somebody else take advantage...

Old 01-02-2009, 05:32 PM

I'm noticing a significant difference between the test scores of elementary schools in District 102. That will probably be the most significant factor in determining location--along with the walkability to trains and stores. Luckily some of the best schools are quite close to the train.

And of course, the individual house is a huge factor! I'm an architect, after all!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:08 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are a number of different parts of LaGrange Park, most are pretty pricey and the housing stock in some parts is pretty much identical to LaGrange. Just east of Nazareth Academy, north of Ogden and west of LaGrange is probably the most desirable part of LGP -- close to forest preseve. There is very little 'cut through' traffic and nice mix of housing. Some of the lots are MUCH larger than the typical in-town LaGrange lot, others are about the same. The variability hurts some folks on their tax bills, but it is trade-off. North of 31st there is another "traditional" subdivision that has a Sherwood Forest / Robin Hood theme and somewhat newer housing. Lots of stuff is never expanded. The LGP post office is near there. Downside are the freight tracks that run N-S across 31st -- longish tie-ups are common. Section east of LaGrange Rd and south of 31st is mostly 50's bungalows/ranches/capes. Most are in good shape, but not roomy. Plus is there is a Jewel that is walking distance, and the LGP Public Library.

All-in-all you give up the "walk to train" set-up of most of LaGrange, though in good weather a bicycle is feasible to the Metra station (and certin portions of LaGrange itslef are farther to the train anyhow). There is probably some trade-off with regard to Country Club and Churches too -- a little different feel than having things as laid out as in LaGrange.
Schools are at least as good as LaGrange, though selling prices / property are about the same as LaGrange, so for many it just comes down to the "right mix" of housing styles they like and an acceptable tradeoff for commute and other aspects...
I wouldn't say the lots in LGP are "much" larger than La Grange, there are a few large ones, but for the most part they are smaller than La Grange homes. Also, it's not that bad of a walk to the train station as long as you're east of 31st and closer to Ogden ave. It's also cheaper to live in LGP than in La Grange.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 AM

The particular section of LGP that I was referring to is the desirable section that backs up to Nazareth Academy and the Foresst Perserves -- it has some uncharacteristically large lots. On average LGP is very similar to Lagrange as well as Brookfield, and there a variety of lots sizes depending who developed the parcels, when they were developed and what the surrounding lots were like...

Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 AM

Any reason that you're reviving old threads from five years ago, CCrest182?

Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The particular section of LGP that I was referring to is the desirable section that backs up to Nazareth Academy and the Foresst Perserves -- it has some uncharacteristically large lots. On average LGP is very similar to Lagrange as well as Brookfield, and there a variety of lots sizes depending who developed the parcels, when they were developed and what the surrounding lots were like...
West of Brainard does have a few mansions and larger lots. Still, those for the most part mirror LG very closely. In a sense, both are identical, but La Grange is known especially west of La Grange Rd as being a "snobbier" area, not so much in LGP, except yes, that back section butting up against Naz and the forest preserve. I also believe LGP has a larger area of smaller residences east of La Grange RD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs