Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

Looking at Amtrak's web site it looks like the Amtrak train that passes through La Grange has a terminus in Quincy, IL. Is this really correct? If so, what in the world is the logic of this?!? Is there really a demand for passenger rail service connecting Quincy, IL to Chicago? It seems like the train should continue further into Iowa and to destinations out west, but the Amtrak route map just stops at Quincy. Unreal. And people wonder why Amtrak has low ridership.

Amtrak - Routes - Midwest

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 01-05-2009 at 08:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
These are political decisions. Once upon a time somebody connected to Politician that lived in LaGrange probably had a summer place out there and didn't want to drive...

The same tracks (BNSF) see pretty much the whole of Amtrak's western access from Union Station, but they have a hard enough time staffing that...

Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 PM

249 posts, read 685,249 times
It is probably funded in part by a state of Illinois grant (like the one that funds short-haul service between Chicago and St. Louis over the same route that the long-haul Texas Eagle runs).

The route was probably plotted to serve, among others, students at Western Illinois University, who might otherwise have no way of getting to/from Macomb. As a second-tier public university, it is among the best options for CPS students and others who wouldn't likely have access to a car.

The Quincy service is just a two-stop spur (from Galesburg) off the mainline that goes to Kansas City.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:27 PM

It seems like all of the Amtrak trains that go through La Grange skip the La Grange Road stop, but then stop in Naperville. The only Amtrak train I can find that actually stops in La Grange makes a bunch of little stops en route to Quincy. It just seems weird to me.

When I lived in Wisconsin it always ticked me off that the Amtrak line connecting Milwaukee and the Twin Cities didn't stop in Madison. Nope, it stopped in Portage instead. That's right, the tiny prison town of Portage, WI (where Jeffery Dahmer met his end), while the state capital got nothing. Amtrak could be a great thing, but it needs to be completely revamped. Many of the routes defy logic. And 53 hours to from Chicago to San Francisco is simply ridiculous.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Take away the politicians ability to give their pet towns perks and the politicians take away the subsidy. I think this is a page out a certain IL Governor's playbook...

Old 01-05-2009, 08:36 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
And 53 hours to from Chicago to San Francisco is simply ridiculous.
That is long. I once did Chicago-New Mexico..think it was 24 hours. In any case, its a really cool way to see the country and the ride is often as interesting as the destination, as well as the people you interact with. Just make sure you have a sleeper because its no fun trying to snooze in coach seats...

Old 01-05-2009, 08:39 PM

249 posts, read 685,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It seems like all of the Amtrak trains that go through La Grange skip the La Grange Road stop, but then stop in Naperville. The only Amtrak train I can find that actually stops in La Grange makes a bunch of little stops en route to Quincy. It just seems weird to me.
That would be precisely to serve WIU students from the suburbs -- so they don't have to go in to Union Station or out to Naperville on Metra to make the connection.

One thing Illinois does do better than Wisconsin is fund Amtrak service for travelers who need it. The Portage/Madison is an issue based in Wisconsin's unwillingness to chip in to the Hiawatha service to the Twin Cities. The pie in the sky that Madison is awaiting now is high-speed rail from Milwaukee to Madison:

Milwaukee to Madison High Speed Rail (http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/d1/hsrail/index.htm - broken link)

Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Northside View Post
That would be precisely to serve WIU students from the suburbs -- so they don't have to go in to Union Station or out to Naperville on Metra to make the connection.

One thing Illinois does do better than Wisconsin is fund Amtrak service for travelers who need it. The Portage/Madison is an issue based in Wisconsin's unwillingness to chip in to the Hiawatha service to the Twin Cities. The pie in the sky that Madison is awaiting now is high-speed rail from Milwaukee to Madison:

Milwaukee to Madison High Speed Rail (http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/d1/hsrail/index.htm - broken link)
I could have used that when I lived there. The more the "larger" cities of the Midwest can do to connect their transportation networks, economies, etc.--the better off the entire region will be. We need to start working together more effectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs