Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
...York High School has such a small population of Hispanics and that info. was just found on school finder.com, which is updated yearly.
Schoolfinder.com is a Canadian website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 AM

88 posts, read 324,017 times
I have lived in Elmhurst for over 30 years and I've seen many changes to the community. The biggest difference was when Starbucks opened and the town turned yuppie. Many former downtown young families looking for an excellent school system and small town community have taken residence. That also resulted in the knock down of old homes and in their place McMansions. I do not see what is described by avengerfire and the hispanic population. Actually, IMHO it would be OK with me to see diversity in this area. With high taxes and not much home for the $ (as many DuPage suburbs) it limits the diversity. I know that when we are sizing down and leaving Elmhurst we will not be able to afford buying back into this community. As far as Democrat or Republican/Conservative - it is a good mix of both viewpoints. Here is a US Census breakdown you might find helpful: Elmhurst city, Illinois - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Last edited by Prairie; 01-10-2009 at 05:41 AM..

Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Schoolfinder.com is a Canadian website.
My fault- I meant schooldigger.com

Old 01-10-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie View Post
I have lived in Elmhurst for over 30 years and I've seen many changes to the community. The biggest difference was when Starbucks opened and the town turned yuppie. Many former downtown young families looking for an excellent school system and small town community have taken residence. That also resulted in the knock down of old homes and in their place McMansions. I do not see what is described by avengerfire and the hispanic population. Actually, IMHO it would be OK with me to see diversity in this area. With high taxes and not much home for the $ (as many DuPage suburbs) it limits the diversity. I know that when we are sizing down and leaving Elmhurst we will not be able to afford buying back into this community. As far as Democrat or Republican/Conservative - it is a good mix of both viewpoints. Here is a US Census breakdown you might find helpful: Elmhurst city, Illinois - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
The fact that there is not much diversity in Elmhurst is what might keep it a safe place with good schools. There is nothing negative about keeping a few towns with little diversity. In fact, from reading other blogs and websites, I have learned that Elmhurst is one of the most desirable areas in the Chicagoland suburbs. If it is not broke, then please dont fix it.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 AM

88 posts, read 324,017 times
promis1, I understand what you are implying however diversity is not directly related to safe neighborhoods. Perhaps you could explain?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Wheaton,Wood Dale,Elk Grove Village,Arlington Heights,Barrington,Carol Stream,Glen Ellyn,Glendale Heights,etc...
One thing I would say is that some areas are actively conservative while others are passively conservative. For example, people in Wheaton seem more politically active and vocal about issues whereas Carol Stream people may be conservative (I don't know if this is true or not) but it is more under the radar; some areas just don't seem as overtly political either way.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
promis1, I understand what you are implying however diversity is not directly related to safe neighborhoods. Perhaps you could explain?
I don't think you'll get a response. The poster tends to drops those road apples and then runs.

Skokie is pretty diverse, pretty safe and pretty Democratic.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Places like Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Geneva, St. Charles, Wayne, Elburn, etc, are heavily Republican/conservative-leaning suburbs. Those would be your best bet (if you can afford them).

Old 01-10-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
The fact is if Elmhurst is as safe and desirable as it is now, why mess with it. Adding diversity to a great town will not make it any greater. Diversity will infact make that town have a greater chance of increasing crime. Minority groups, other than Asians, will boost crime rates. Its very simple facts, just look at the numbers. The jails across this country are not minority dominated by accident.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I don't think you'll get a response. The poster tends to drops those road apples and then runs.

Skokie is pretty diverse, pretty safe and pretty Democratic.
Im not running, just left the computer for a while. Had to shovel. As for Skokie, according to the 2000 census, Skokie's Hispanic and Black population only made up 10% of the town- not a good example for what we are talking about. Asians, as stated in many posts, are a great asset to any area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs