Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 78,966 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously considering a move to the Chicago area. My husband would be working in Des Plains and doesn't want more than a 35 minute commute to work. I am a teacher. We'll be making around $125K combined and would like to buy a home. We don't want to live near the city. We've been looking in the northwest suburbs: Elgin, Barrington, Hoffman Estates. Any ideas, suggestions, opinions and information about these areas are welcome. Suggestions of other areas to look would be helpful too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 11:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates are decent towns, really crowded with bad traffic and tons of shopping. Elgin might be a bit far out, just by a bit if you take the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway. Sometimes it can get really congested around the Des Plaines area, particularly near the 294 exchange. Barrington is nice, but is really expensive. It offers a more "small town" feel than the others mentioned, but you pay for it.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:05 PM

28 posts, read 205,307 times
I would definitely not recommend Elgin. Besides the distance, the city has fairly high crime and that seems to be on the rise ... the city in general is not going in a good direction at all. I agree with previous poster, Hoffman Estates is a decent town. You might want to look at Elk Grove Village - it's closer to Des Plaines than the others you mentioned, but not as expensive as neighboring Arlington Heights.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 78,966 times
Default thanks and another question!

Thanks to both of your posts, the information helps a lot. It's hard to get the feel of a place over the internet....

Any thoughts about Mundelein or surrounding areas? It's on the Metra line and would only be about 30 minutes for my husband to get to work in the O'Hare area. Thanks again!

Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM

28 posts, read 205,307 times
I haven't spent much time in Mundelein but I have friends who live there and they like it. That whole area of the northern suburbs (Vernon Hills, Grayslake) seems nice overall. IMO it's better to go north than too far west, but that's just my experience.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:00 PM

76 posts, read 476,280 times
Cool I'm An Expert!

Hi,
As a former Northwest subarb resient, here are some ideas: Mount Prospect (borders Des Plaines), Des Plaines, Arlington Heights, Palatine, Rolling Meadows, Lake Zurich, and Northbrook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs