Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 AM

131 posts, read 356,193 times

Advertisements

Keep taking the bait, guys (and gals).

Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergsyndrome View Post
Keep taking the bait, guys (and gals).
Good call Ice. The age old rule of “don’t feed the trolls” should be applied here going forward. Ignore this individual and she will go away. As a Berwyn resident, I certainly hope that her buddies in the Italian-American Civic Organization who are running for political office don’t harbor the same negative views towards 53% of the City’s population as she does.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Good call Ice. The age old rule of “don’t feed the trolls” should be applied here going forward. Ignore this individual and she will go away. As a Berwyn resident, I certainly hope that her buddies in the Italian-American Civic Organization who are running for political office don’t harbor the same negative views towards 53% of the City’s population as she does.
As long as that 53% are legal citizens- then there are no negative feelings. If they are illegal, which I am sure quite a few are, then they cant vote anyway so they are worthless in this country.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendelman View Post
Oh god, please make this stop. I don't care about this guy's views and other's opposition to it. Just stop.

Back on topic - I would agree that the future will involve "wealth flight" as opposed to "white flight".
We have been on topic- giving you reasons that whites take flight- and justification for leaving towns.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 PM

Is it wrong to want to still live in a middle class, mainly white, conservative town with good schools and little crime? Is this really a sin that I dont desire diversity in my neighborhood?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:33 PM

10 posts, read 28,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I'll give my assessment of the parts of Oak Lawn around 95th and Cicero since I disagree with the poster as well. I'd say anything near that intersection that is south or west is perfectly fine. Anything north east of that intersection is also likely fine. I'm not even sure how to assess the area north east of that intersection. There's the trailer park that has been around for several years, Hometown, Christ Hospital, Target, Home Depot, Jewel, and a giant park with new ballfields that was created a few years ago. Then there's the neighborhood in Oak Lawn north of Jewel, south of Hometown, west of Pulaski, and east of the previously mentioned park. I would say that small area has some of the nicer homes in Oak Lawn. If anything I would say that area of Oak Lawn has actually improved the past decade.
I have lived in the aformentioned area for 20 years. It is quiet, convienent, and safe. We can take the dog for a walk at night without danger of being mugged. The Target is up the street, and the Jewel is a few blocks away. Two bus lines intersect at 95th and Pulaski. It is a couple miles from 2 Metra trains, the Rock Island to the east and the Southwest line to the west. District 123 is the school district, where my two kids recieved an excellent elementary education. Oak Lawn High is ok, but we sent them to Brother Rice and Mother McAuley. My neighborhood is diverse, and believe it or not some of my non caucasion neighbors have been here for years.

I personally have been through the white flight phenomenon, so I'm not naive to it, but it just did not take hold in my little corner of Oak Lawn. I'm sure the tanking economy will put white flight on hold in vulnerable neighborhoods.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:42 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times
Two questions:

1. What is the racial breakdown in your neighborhood?
2. Are young white families still moving there?

I'm at that Target and Home Depot all the time. The neighborhood seems very safe to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacheen View Post
I have lived in the aformentioned area for 20 years. It is quiet, convienent, and safe. We can take the dog for a walk at night without danger of being mugged. The Target is up the street, and the Jewel is a few blocks away. Two bus lines intersect at 95th and Pulaski. It is a couple miles from 2 Metra trains, the Rock Island to the east and the Southwest line to the west. District 123 is the school district, where my two kids recieved an excellent elementary education. Oak Lawn High is ok, but we sent them to Brother Rice and Mother McAuley. My neighborhood is diverse, and believe it or not some of my non caucasion neighbors have been here for years.

I personally have been through the white flight phenomenon, so I'm not naive to it, but it just did not take hold in my little corner of Oak Lawn. I'm sure the tanking economy will put white flight on hold in vulnerable neighborhoods.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,483 times
yes white families are still moving in, thats a good sign but!, the question though is will it be in 5 years, im in jewel almost every few days on 95th, and yes i feel safe walking around at 1130pm, but the area's around us are changing quite fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Two questions:

1. What is the racial breakdown in your neighborhood?
2. Are young white families still moving there?

I'm at that Target and Home Depot all the time. The neighborhood seems very safe to me.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Chicagoland, most Latin Americans do have some Spanish blood in them. Yes, they may be more Indian, or black, or even other European, but most have some Spanish. (Or in the case of Brazilians, Portuguese) So, they are at least partly European.
I know that alot of them have Spanish or Portuguese blood, but most Latin Americans wouldn't be considered white in this country. Argentinians and maybe the white cubans in florida are probably the only ones that would be seen as white. My spanish teacher is Argentina and she look pretty white too me. Before I knew she was from Argentina, I thought she was from Spain or Italy. Not many Argentinians in Chicago though; mostly Mexicans & Puerto Ricans.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,918 times
Yep, you can run until you can run no more. This is America 2009 not 1932. We are a diverse nation more so than ever. This is one of the many reasons the Grand OLD Party failed so miserably relying too much on their base during the last 2 election cycles. The way some of you folks think by the way I read most of these post is mind boggling. If you don't care for Chicagoland move to Alabama and maybe Shelby could get you on one of those foreign Auto Plants he has in his State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs