Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,563 times

Advertisements

Generally, real estate is about location, schools and caliber of neighbors (and likely future neighbors), esp in a difficult economy in which prices are falling; buyers can be choosy; and many houses (even in NorthShore) can go into short sale/foreclosure/rental in distress mode

Would prefer Eastern Winnetka or Glencoe greatly above Wilmette....more powerful, younger (<50yo) people w/kids have chosen to reside there, w/influence upon police patrols, permits for new building, school funding, etc etc

Find it far more inspirational/educational to be least affluent guy in any area, seeing neighboring wealthier, younger traders leaving their lakefront estates at <5AM to drive down to office in Loop....lots of high achievers seem to choose Winnetka (and LF) lakefront....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 PM

60 posts, read 291,647 times
Will you/your spouse drive or take the Metra to work?
If taking Metra, look east of Ridge: you can walk to the train.
If driving, look west of Ridge: you can get an attached two-car garage.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 32,575 times
I drive everyday...so metra isn't an issue. I do like to bike....so splitting the distance between the Green Bay trail and the Skokie Lagoons is attractive.

I know that NW Evanston has a very family friendly atmosphere....lots of block parties, kids in the neighborhood, etc.

It looks like the Thornwood Park area might have the same (at least from a kids perspective). Just can't get a sense if it may feel too far away from desired retail (my proximity to central street in Evanston has been nice).

I know all about the benefits of East Wilmette -- obviously the downtown is a plus. The prices for new construction, however, are about 20% - 25% above what you can find in the Thornwood Park area.

For those cynics who weighed in earlier...this has nothing to do with "status" or "elitism" -- its just an attempt to find a nice house in a family focused neighborhood for my young kids to grow in. If the Thornwood park area has that (and people with experience there don't long for locations closer to retail) then it sounds like it could be a good choice. Otherwise I think I would skip the outrageous East Wilmette prices and look to Glencoe (which...believe it or not....is considerably cheaper).

Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 PM

9 posts, read 42,385 times
Hi, just moved here from out of state. The new homes around Thornwood are gorgeous. Kenilworth Gardens is a nice community of very kid friendly families, empty nesters and some middle age/no kids etc. It is a nice/close knit community. Everyone seems to know everyone. Irish/Catholics.
I think Harper is probably great, I really don't believe there would be a bad school in the North Shore seriously. As for the other posters they are just pulling your leg alittle. They just have that sarcastic Chicago like humor. Winnetka seems really nice also. Haven't been to Glencoe yet.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:27 PM

37 posts, read 169,089 times
East. But evanston is much better and less stuck up

Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 PM

60 posts, read 291,647 times
Do you need to move now? Because if you wait until spring, you can take your kids to parks in the neighborhoods you are interested in. See how many kids are there; try and chat with the adults and get more information about that specific neighborhood. Most parents will talk to another parent.
I haven't heard about any "bad" neighborhoods in Wilmette. I know one mom who didn't like the Harper school's services for kids with special needs, but I know other moms who love that school. I would suggest visiting the school, even though your kids are several years away from attending. I know several people with kids who rave about the Kenilworth Gardens neighborhood, and Thornwood Park is just a block or two away, so I don't think it would be that different. I would think any neighborhood in Wilmette with lots of teardowns would have families with kids.
With little kids, most of your interaction for the next few years will be on the sidewalks, at the park, and at preschool. Look for swingsets in yards, minivans, and jogging strollers on porches. Again, all these things will be more visible in the spring. Also check out the Wilmette Park District website - they have tons of classes and activities for babies and kids Wilmette Park District :: Leisure Time Guide . There is also lots to do at the library WPL Kids: Events (http://www.wilmette.lib.il.us/kids/events/index.php - broken link) . But check out Glencoe as well - they may have similar resources.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:58 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
lol you strike me as the live to work type and not the work to live type. I don't see anything appealing about leaving my house at 5 AM to race to some downtown Loop office. F that, I'd rather be wealthy without having to work so damn hard and get up so early. I'd rather be able to sleep in and wake up on a beach lol! Like the Europeans, I'd rather enjoy life, and work enough to be productive, yet not work myself to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Generally, real estate is about location, schools and caliber of neighbors (and likely future neighbors), esp in a difficult economy in which prices are falling; buyers can be choosy; and many houses (even in NorthShore) can go into short sale/foreclosure/rental in distress mode

Would prefer Eastern Winnetka or Glencoe greatly above Wilmette....more powerful, younger (<50yo) people w/kids have chosen to reside there, w/influence upon police patrols, permits for new building, school funding, etc etc

Find it far more inspirational/educational to be least affluent guy in any area, seeing neighboring wealthier, younger traders leaving their lakefront estates at <5AM to drive down to office in Loop....lots of high achievers seem to choose Winnetka (and LF) lakefront....

Old 03-13-2009, 08:44 PM

115 posts, read 291,332 times
I just gave some info on another post that may be helpful. Here's the link

https://www.city-data.com/forum/7875394-post18.html

Yes, Kenilworth Gardens has block parties, as do many other Wilmette neighborhoods. I was also warmly welcomed to our home and neighborhood with homemade or bakery cookies brought over by friendly neighbors. How sweet is that?

As for being far from retail- yes, this was a big issue for us when we came up from the city and were used to walking everywhere. I hate driving everywhere in the winter but we often ride bikes or walk a lot in the summer. As your kids get older and can keep up (or get a Burley if you don't have one already.) you can go farther. We made it to the beach last summer (Langdon, near Plaza De Lago) and there's a new Starbucks on Washington and Green Bay that's close enough now.

What's nice about being a little further from the lake is being closer to Trader Joe's in Glenview and the Target- Costco-Whole Foods area of Glenview.

I hope this is helpful. There's a lot of new construction available and it's more of a buyers' market so take your time.

Good luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs