Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,119 times

Advertisements

Which one of these would you buy in ?? I am a single mom w a baby girl. I am hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 02:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Of these three EP is the least bad...

I would really try hard to find a more affordable situation in a better town.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

This is true, but being that you are hispanic you might feel more at home in Summit or Cicero than Evergreen Park.

We lived in the Summit school district which has a large ESOL student-body. For the most part Summit was safe when we were there 6 years ago but every once in awhile they'd have some trouble. That happens in any city and I'd strongly advise you to keep your doors locked (home and car) at all times. The schools did not meet our children's needs and so we moved far, far away to South Carolina where there is no snow and no sub-zero temperatures.

Summit has got to be the smallest city of the three. Summit borders Chicago, Bedford Park and Bridgeview and Justice is right there too. All Summit, BP, and Bridgeview students go to Summit schools. Summit has a great park district and Bedford Park as well. Bridgeview does too but you would pay extra to go to Bridgeview PD functions as a non-resident.

If you'd like to hear more about this area let me know. We lived here for 11 years.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:20 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Can you elaborate on your take on EP? Is it really that bad (ie only the least of the evils?). Sad, not long ago it was considered a nice, if modest, place to raise kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 AM

939 posts, read 2,379,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Can you elaborate on your take on EP? Is it really that bad (ie only the least of the evils?). Sad, not long ago it was considered a nice, if modest, place to raise kids.
Evergreen Park is still a nice, modest place to raise kids. Most kids I know go to one of the many catholic schools that dominate the area but I think it's been that way for quite some time. Houses are well kept, access to health care is good (close to both Advocate Christ and Little Company), has all of the major retailers nearby or in the city itself. I've worked in the area for about fifteen years and I haven't noticed any decline in EP's physical appearance. There have been superficial improvements (mostly streetscape) to the business district along 95th. Several of my co-workers live in EP and seem quite content. I think the only place that's still an eyesore, and isn't what it was many years ago, is the Plaza (indoor mall).

Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
EP's fine. It's not dangerous, but will probably cost you slightly more to live there than one of the other towns for equivalent space is my guess. The elementary schools are good. Stay active in your kid's upbringing there and they will be fine. Based on the EP High School report card from last year that someone around here posted recently, the town is changing slightly, but at the same time when kids get to high school there will be some kids that start getting into trouble no matter what. I would think that if you're researching on the internet for a good place to raise your kid though that you'll care enough to keep them out of trouble.

I am not familiar with Summit too much, probably safer than Cicero.

I don't know much about Cicero, but my dad is a graffiti washer for the county and has been to Cicero many times the last few years.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM

19 posts, read 72,337 times
Back when I used to live in Chicago 20 years ago EP was a very upscale area and so were the areas surrounding it. Not sure how it is now but I would imagine its still the same and probably still very expensive.

I havent been to Cicero in probably about 10 years or so and back then I didnt care for it at all.

I lived a few miles south of Summit exactly 2 years ago and to me and my neighbors it was horrible. People in our area always referred to it as Scummit and would cringe at the thought of having to go there. The very few times I had to go to the high school for my son to play football we were in shock at the things we saw just across from the field. People beating on eachother and selling drugs right outside their front doors. People were even afraid to be sitting in their car to warm up while at the game.

Honestly I dont think cicero or summit are towns where you would want to live especially since you are a single female with a baby.

I would look into EP a bit further and or other towns. There are a lot of places you could live that are nice you just have to look really good. Maybe an agent could help as well.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:50 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Evergreen Park hands down. It's right between Beverly and Oak Lawn so there are plenty of nightlife and restaurant options, and there’s much development happening on 95th St. It’s relatively diverse and the public schools are decent, and there are great private school options in the area too. Metra runs right through neighboring Beverly and Oak Lawn. Some fear it will experience "white flight" but I don’t see this happening. People have been saying this about Beverly for decades. It has too many attributes, and many young professional families are choosing it. It will be fine.

I’m going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess that Cicero is not going to get too many positive responses. It gets an unfair bad rap in many ways, particularly crime. It's not Mayberry but neither is it the Austin or Englewood some make it out to be. It also has good (and very affordable) housing stock and is extremely convenient to the Loop. The CTA Pink Line and Metra run right through it. Unfortunately, it's not diverse -- about 84% Hispanic and 77% Mexican per the updated 2005-07 Census. The schools are also bottom tier across the board. If you’re going to live in a monocultural community, why not one with better schools and amenities like Tinley Park or Naperville?

Summit’s schools are quite a bit better than Cicero and it offers diversity – well, it was about 50% Hispanic as of the 2000 Census but there was no update for 2005-07. Unfortunately, there are no convenient public transit options to the Loop, which may not bode well for its long-term prospects. And saving for a small section near Harlem just north of Archer, the housing stock is pretty mediocre. And business development? What business development? Beyond Portillo’s and Grand Dukes on Harlem, there ain’t a whole lot going on. All the fun stuff is quite a drive away.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:06 AM

358 posts, read 847,079 times
Why did you state that you are hispanic arianae? Does it matter to you?

Old 02-28-2009, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 9,308 times
I don't know why Chet would imply that Evergreen Park is a bad neighborhood. I've worked there for years and have never experienced any type of trouble. If I could afford to move there, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs