Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 9,838 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Greater Philadelphia Area and am considering a job in the Chicago suburbs at Abbott. I really don't know much about the Chicago area (though I've heard lots of nice things --except the weather). Any thoughts from others who have moved from the East Coast to the Chicago area? Would you do it again? I am single female 35+ who enjoys living near a walkable town so that I don't have to jump in the car for absolutely everything. Yet I don't want to have more than a 30 minute commute or so. Is that possible in the vicinity of Abbott? Anyone have suggestions for a realtor who can give me a good feel for the area while I'm out there interviewing? I currently own a townhouse - so I would want to buy something out there. (price range 300-400K).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 AM

62 posts, read 224,092 times
Default Come and check things out

I might be able to give you some helpful info. The drive from Abbott Park to the north side of Chicago is about 45 min. (traffic dependent). There are some nice neighborhoods on the north side that you could check out (Lincoln Square, Andersonville). I live in Evanston, about a 40 min drive south of Abbott. It is a walkable, vibrant university town on Lake Michigan that would be fun for a single person to live in. You could get a condo for your price range in Evanston, or the north side of Chicago. Another good town nearer to Abbott is Highland park, but I don't know how it is for singles and for real estate. I like the downtown area there, and it is on the lake and near I94 which you'd probably travel to work.
I don't have a specific realtor to recommend. Coldwell Banker, Century 21, etc. all have offices in the towns I mentioned that I'm sure could be of assistance.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:47 PM

3 posts, read 9,838 times
Default Evanston come up alot!

Thanks! Someone around here mentioned Evanston too. Sounds like I'll have to look at it, even though it's actually a little more than what I would like my commute to be. It would be nice to have a place with a little bit of yard though. I do like to have at least a little garden. I'm starting to get the impression that real estate is quite more expensive in the Chicago area than the Philadelphia/Delaware Valley area.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:53 PM

374 posts, read 1,596,019 times
I live in Skokie (originally from Virginia) and I think you will like it. Skokie is just west of Evanston and is wayyyyy more reasonable in price. Its a few Minutes from I-04 which will take you North to Abbott, commute is about 30 mins or less if traffic isnt bad and you have an IPASS. Skokie has a little downtown area and it also has the Yellow line which is the Chicago "EL" train so its easy to get places without having to drive. Its probably one of the most affordable communities on the North Shore that has good schools.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:57 AM

198 posts, read 820,344 times
I think Highland Park would be a good choice. Chicago, Skokie and Evanston are too far for the desired commute. I'm an agent but deal primarily in the Western burbs, my firm has an agent in Vernon Hills that has lived on the north shore her whole life and is single so she might be able to relate to you quite well. I asked her and she said that you have a few options, you could opt for the suburbs with the cute downtowns along the lake or venture out into the chain of lakes areas (Fox Lake) and get a home on the Bay for 350-400 or a townhome (200K) on the lake with community boat, swimming and recreational facilities. A new/newer single family home up by Grayslake might be an option - In Haryan Farms there's a 4 bedrooms, 2.1 baths and a basement on a culdesac near town & train for $279,900.00. In Highland & Lake Bluff the selection would be limited but there are options - there's a cute remodeled home on Lincoln Pl in Highland Park for 397K where you could walk to the downtown & the lake or a 3 bedroom/2 bath condo in the same area. But compared to the 100's of options you will have west of the expressway you will only have a few options in the burbs on the lake if you want to be able to be in the walk to dowtown areas. Let me know if you want her contact information.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 AM

84 posts, read 427,198 times
Unfortunately, Abbott is very far out on the fringes of the Chicago burbs and doesn't lend itself very well to living in any part of the city. The 40 minutes quoted by one poster would be under perfectly pristine traffic conditions, but you could experience 2+ hours each way in rush-hour traffic. Evanston would only be an incremental improvement, and is not exactly set up for the convenience of highway commuters. You're probably going to have to resign yourself to suburban life if you want any kind of day-to-day free time.

That being said, there are plenty of pretty towns in Lake County that have some type of walkable town to them. Highland Park and Lake Forest are high on everyone's list, although they are quite expensive. Libertyville has a nice little downtown and might be a little closer to your townhouse price range. You can find even more affordable housing and some scenic areas further out in Lake County, but the settings may be a little too sleepy for what you have in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs