Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:53 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
The public schools in LF suck? That can't be right.
I find that statement VERY hard to believe as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:52 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
"By Sarah Schulte

February 26, 2009 (WINNETKA, Ill.) (WLS) -- Several north suburban teenagers allegedly turned an unoccupied home in Winnetka into their own party house, causing more than $10,000 in damage.

Police say the teens drank alcohol, smoked and partied for several days before it was discovered they were using the home.

Pabst Blue Ribbon and Milwaukee's Best beer cans all over the house, clothes dumped everywhere along with cigarette butts. Police say the trashed Winnetka home is the work of several uninvited high school students..."

And get away with it...

Teens turn Winnetka home into party house - 2/26/09 - Chicago News - abc7chicago.com

Boy, How embarrasing for the parents. I would have thought those Winnetka parents would have raised their kids better than this - PBR and MIlwaukee's Best!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 06:44 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I find that statement VERY hard to believe as well.
The Lake Forest School System is not the best and does not have a lot of the programs or funding that the other North Shore and North Suburban schools do, but its not bad for your child to attend Lake Forest Schools. I would say about half of Lake Forest kids are enrolled in their public school system. I know a lot of Lake Forest families opt-out for Lake Forest Country Day, Willows, Lake Forest Academy, North Shore Country Day, Loyola, Baker Demostration, and Roycemore School.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,877 times
Winnetka Public Schools need to start out brand new.. From the Superintendents to the Principals... to the teachers... especially Crow Island... All of them were hired through friends, and let me tell you, they are NOT effective.... I'm tired of nepotism... It's absolutely uncalled for... especially when my child is suffering from ineffective teaching.... The response time sucks... Even when you wave up your hand and the childs problems in front of the teachers eyes, there is no response............ WE NEED A NEW WAY TO HANDLE THE SITUATIONS! Unfortunately.... the are all paid WAY TOO MUCH and most unfortunately, THEY ARE ALL TENURED.... so sadly, our hands are tied. WINNETKA PUBLIC SCHOOLS SUCK and will continue to suck until we can figure out a way to get rid of the scum.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
If Weezer was from the Chicago area instead of the LA area, this song could have very well been titled "Winnetka":

WEEZER - BEVERLY HILLS LYRICS

YouTube - Weezer - Beverly Hills

Old 07-10-2010, 02:42 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
If Weezer was from the Chicago area instead of the LA area, this song could have very well been titled "Winnetka":

WEEZER - BEVERLY HILLS LYRICS

YouTube - Weezer - Beverly Hills
No. More like Lake Forest or Highland Park.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:16 AM

114 posts, read 387,064 times
jquote=Bestmomever;14976136]Winnetka Public Schools need to start out brand new.. From the Superintendents to the Principals... to the teachers... especially Crow Island... All of them were hired through friends, and let me tell you, they are NOT effective.... I'm tired of nepotism... It's absolutely uncalled for... especially when my child is suffering from ineffective teaching.... The response time sucks... Even when you wave up your hand and the childs problems in front of the teachers eyes, there is no response............ WE NEED A NEW WAY TO HANDLE THE SITUATIONS! Unfortunately.... the are all paid WAY TOO MUCH and most unfortunately, THEY ARE ALL TENURED.... so sadly, our hands are tied. WINNETKA PUBLIC SCHOOLS SUCK and will continue to suck until we can figure out a way to get rid of the scum.[/quote]

Wow. Having 4 kids go thru the WPS, 2 graduate from NT and 2 there I can speak very truthfully about the WPS.
We have had good and bad experiences - but mostly very good. I do have a child with learning disabilities so I did have to advocate very hard for her. I also have a child who was and is exceptionally bright (dean's list, essay contest winner in college and yes they have the same father and had to advocate for her as well. The other two are "average". In the 16 years my kids were in the schools, I did notice a decline in the schools mostly due to teachers. While there are many excellent teachers in the system, you are correct there is a lot of nepotism.
What I saw with a lot of the families whose oldest was my youngest age (just graduated this year) was that they thought their kids were somehow magically going to be transformed thru osmosis just by attending the schools. It doesn't work like that and no one can depend on any public school for all of their child's needs. However, it is only going to be beneficial for the community and school board and administration to continue to work together to get things back on the right track. It is healthy and essential for improvement to have some dissention in the community. It is not productive to accuse, attack and generalize. I 've seen a lot of this at school board meetings. For example the teachers are not all tenured and they are not all overpaid.
There is work to be done and it is a good thing that the blind trust is gone and parents are asking questions, itjust needs to be done in a civilized, respectful manor and the parent's expectations need to be managed.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
I agree with Avengerfire in that I would prefer Winnetka to Beverly Hiils (CA or IL). I know there have been problems with the school system, but overall they are good. One great advantage is no railroad crossings, but good train service to downtown. Access to other destinations is not so good; there are no decent roads going west.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy Waters View Post
It's paradise. When the rest of the area is cloudy or there's rain, there's sunshine and rainbows in Winnetka. People give you money on the street and open doors for you. A wink and a nod, and you ride the train or taxi's for free. The streets of Winnetka are paved with gold. The road reflectors have Swarovski crystals in them. There are no potholes, they salt every street and they rinse your car of road salt with a big machine that drives around town.
And don't forget:

My child can do no wrong.....
My child has never worked for anything through K12....
My child has been GIVEN everything he/she has ever wanted.....
Oh, and did I mention: My child can do no wrong.......

Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM

103 posts, read 91,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy Waters View Post
It's paradise. When the rest of the area is cloudy or there's rain, there's sunshine and rainbows in Winnetka. People give you money on the street and open doors for you. A wink and a nod, and you ride the train or taxi's for free. The streets of Winnetka are paved with gold. The road reflectors have Swarovski crystals in them. There are no potholes, they salt every street and they rinse your car of road salt with a big machine that drives around town.
Sounds more like the Emerald City than a Chicago suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs