Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 10:26 AM

10 posts, read 26,723 times

Advertisements

Hello- Looking for some advice for a somewhat unique relocation scenario. My husband's job is being transferred this summer and he will be working around Elk Grove Village. However, the long-range plans for his company is to re-settle the work location near Antioch. Just wondering if you have any advice as to what would be a good suburb to check into that would be a"midway" point between these two areas so that we would not have to move again in 2-3 years. We are coming from Indiana and don't have much info about the different suburbs, other than what I have researched on this forum. Is Crystal Lake or Cary a ridiculous commute for either location? We have a son who will be entering high school, so good schools are top priority. House range prob. 275K-325K, although that is flexible. Is this a do-able range for good schools? Thank you so much- I just need help narrowing my search down to be able to efficiently start house-hunting in a couple months! Thanks for all the great info on this site!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM

358 posts, read 847,636 times
On the map Crystal Lake and Cary are far west from the Midpoint. The towns at the midpoint are Hawthorn Woods, Mundelein, Vernon Hills, Long Grove, Wauconda. Not a lot of major highways up that way. The closer to 294 you are the better you will proabably be. I've never heard anything bad about the towns themselves. Grab a map!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 PM

95 posts, read 325,372 times
Vernon Hills to EGV is an OK commute and will get better if/when I-94 repairs are finished. I-94 to I-294 to Golf Road Exit--don't get on I-90. Traffic isn't too bad- probably about 45 minute commute - if decent weather. I love it here-if want to go into the city--quick drive or metra.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:30 PM

So, those towns that are midway.....how are schools, housing? Thanks!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 PM

95 posts, read 325,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethindiana View Post
So, those towns that are midway.....how are schools, housing? Thanks!
A friend of mind just bought a 3BR 2 Bath single family house in Libertyville, excellent location for $300K, in excellent condition, built in 1975, Vernon Hills Housing less than Libertyville. There is new construction to very historical homes. There are new townhomes, condos-whatever you are looking for between the two cities. I think you are OK with the price range you listed. Before I purchased, I did some research on the schools and they ranked very well with some type of silver status-but I don't remember where I got that info--sorry!!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:11 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
School wise: Buffalo Grove, Long Grove & good part of Hawthorn Woods attend Stevenson HS.
Vernon Hills and Libertyville each have their own HS but are same district. Not sure how good Mundelein HS is. Lake Zurich is decent HS as well. The good news is it will be an opposite traffic pattern commute to Antioch in the morning and back south in the evening. Bad news is Lake Co. has done a crappy job of building decent 4-lane roads that can move the traffic efficiently. They have a NIMBY, we can't ruin our rural mystique mind-set, while the local village boards continue to grant permits for more and more homes and the additional traffic it brings. Homes in Long Grove & Hawthorn Woods are pricey. When y'all coming for a visit?
Have you considered renting a house near Elk Grove and then moving closer to Antioch if/when job moves?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 PM

Prob. make our first visit just to drive thru the different areas and get a feel for things the 1st week of March or so. Renting is a great idea-except I don't want to have to move our son AGAIN in 2 yrs if that becomes neccesary. (He will be a freshman this fall) I hope I can find the right place at the half way point between the two locations so my husband's commute won't be that bad for either the Antioch or Elk Grove location. Would it be that bad of a drive to go west to a place like Cary-seems like we can get more house for the $$. I guess when we drive around in March we can maybe decide better then, as well. Thanks for all the info! Really appreciate it!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 19,603 times
Default not hawthorne woods

Stay away from hawthorne woods and Lake Zurich, too. Because the state now again is looking into extending highway 53 and one of the main plans is to cut into those towns. It's very controversial. As a realtor and appraiser I can assure you that properties values would decrease in the areas the state decides to extend 53. For now, no one knows which plan they will use butthe state expects to get some of the stimulus money once it passess.

Libertyville is a good place - could find something in the 300s. good luck
evanstonhomesandcondos.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs