Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 78,321 times

Advertisements

Hi friends...i m an asian Indian (punjabi delhiite) just moved to Chicago NW suburbs. My job is in Lake Zurich, zipcode 60047...i m looking for a place to stay within 25-30 min of my workplace and closer to Chicago..need to know the best place to stay....in terms of safety...areas having more north indian punjabi population staying there...n need a utility store near by...n surely an insight of the life style and cost of living in the area..pls guys share the info n help..thnks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 03:28 PM

19 posts, read 72,155 times
Default Great Indian Buffet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows_vista_xp View Post
Hi friends...i m an asian Indian (punjabi delhiite) just moved to Chicago NW suburbs. My job is in Lake Zurich, zipcode 60047...i m looking for a place to stay within 25-30 min of my workplace and closer to Chicago..need to know the best place to stay....in terms of safety...areas having more north indian punjabi population staying there...n need a utility store near by...n surely an insight of the life style and cost of living in the area..pls guys share the info n help..thnks
Buffalo Grove has one of my favorite Indian restaurants on Old McHenry Road. I know there's many families in Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, Palatine, Buffalo Grove.

Welcome to the area, Lake Zurich is where I lived for 15 years.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 PM

Thanks! Which is the best area in terms of good schools, punjabi community, nearby local shopping centers, and for a good family life, etc...

Old 02-07-2009, 10:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The largest concentration of Indians is in the city of Chicago itself, on the north side along Devon Avenue. Whether it's specifically Punjabi or not, I don't really know. Unfortunately, the schools in that area are not very good, and the commute would be unpleasant as well. And while there are Indians scattered throughout the rest of the area, there isn't any other place except the Chicago neighborhood I mentioned where there are enough to form a critical mass or a self-contained community. As someone else said, Schaumburg has enough that you'll find a few Indian restaurants and grocery stores and all that. There's a cluster of Hindu temples just south of Schaumburg; one in Itasca, one in Medinah, and one in Bloomingdale.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 AM

Does Schaumburg have a sizeable number of Punjabi speaking North Indians?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I don't know what they speak to be honest (besides English of course)

Old 02-08-2009, 01:31 PM

How about the schools in that area, please let me know if you have any idea. If you could list out some good schools for grade 6-8, that would be great!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
There's a very significant Indian population in the NW suburbs. I've heard that there's a Sikh Gurdwara located in Palatine (close to your workplace), so you should be in good shape! If you want an excellent school district, I'd try to get a place in Buffalo Grove on the Lake County side so you have access to the Stevenson High School school district. Again, this is quite close to Lake Zurich, so your commute would be a breeze from Buffalo Grove. The schools out there are higher in caliber than the Schaumburg schools (not trying to knock Schaumburg, but the the Stevenson test scores are definitely higher).

Quote:

Old 02-09-2009, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 28,379 times
Mt. Prospect has very good schools and a lot of diversity. In fact, Business Week named it the #1 place in the U.S. to raise children

Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 19,337 times
Quote:
Palatine is a nice place and there is a huge Indian population here.There's also a beautiful and actually pretty big gurdwara here so there are a lot of punjabi people.There are 2 Indian grocery stores right around the corner.Lake Zurich is not too far from where we live it's about 15-20 mins.We are in an apt so if you need more information regarding that I can share that with you.I am also a punjabi and from delhi so would like to know more about you.If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs