Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 PM

167 posts, read 517,983 times

Advertisements

Need information on Paris, IL. Nice town to live in, how far from a hospital, shopping, and most importantly -- how much snow does it get, and is it humid. Anything else you can think of would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
There is nearly nothing in Paris and the closest hint of a "real" city with basic amenities such as a Wal-Mart or a large grocery store or a decent restaurant is Terre Haute. And even Terre Haute is nothing to get excited about for any reason.

Apparently there is a tiny hospital in Paris itself, but Lord knows if it's staffed for anything but trivial illnesses and injuries. If you need serious care, again, you'll probably have to truck it to Terre Haute.

It snows in Paris maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and usually not more than about 3 inches at a time. And yes it gets humid in the summer. I mean, it's no Texas or anything, but you'll probably want to run the AC for much of the summer. Ceiling fans can cut down on the number of AC-necessary days.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:35 AM

167 posts, read 517,983 times
Default Paris IL

Good to know. I'm crossing that city off my list. Thanks !!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Out of curiosity, how on earth did you come up with Paris as a possible place to live? It's basically in the middle of nowhere. Where do you live now?

Old 02-27-2010, 03:28 AM

2 posts, read 9,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There is nearly nothing in Paris and the closest hint of a "real" city with basic amenities such as a Wal-Mart or a large grocery store or a decent restaurant is Terre Haute. And even Terre Haute is nothing to get excited about for any reason.

Apparently there is a tiny hospital in Paris itself, but Lord knows if it's staffed for anything but trivial illnesses and injuries. If you need serious care, again, you'll probably have to truck it to Terre Haute.

It snows in Paris maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and usually not more than about 3 inches at a time. And yes it gets humid in the summer. I mean, it's no Texas or anything, but you'll probably want to run the AC for much of the summer. Ceiling fans can cut down on the number of AC-necessary days.
Have you lived in Paris Illinois for any extent of time?
I have and am still living here, and have been so for over 15 years now.
Paris is a great town to raise your children in as there is very little crime and the schools here provide great education. We have a super WalMart and also a locally owned grocery store so yes we are content.
Besides that there is amble job offers a good affordable house pricing and a great social feeling of belonging to a nice community.
Our churches are covering most beliefs and although we do not have a college or university it is not far to the nearest bigger city for higher learning.

So all in all, those of us who chose to live in a safe and caring community are quite happy with Paris, Illinois. ;-)

Old 02-27-2010, 03:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Thanks for dredging up this year-old thread to share that with me. Last I looked, Paris' unemployment rate was more than two percentage points higher than the national average and it was experiencing both negative job growth and negative population growth. But at least now you've got a SuperWally, so there's that.

I wish we could get a SuperWally around here.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,476 times
Smile Paris.IL

My personal opinion of Paris,IL is quite simple. My family and I moved here a year ago. I love it here. There is a hospital here and they have some really good doctors. Crime rate is low and we do have a lot of job offers. I actually feel very content here. The people are wonderful here. We do have a Wal-Mart and another grocery store. We also have several pharmacies and thrift shops. I wold recommend any family to move here.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,376 times
Im looking into moving to paris with my best friend and her daughter is there any reason to be concerned about bringing a 4 yr old there? I love the fact that its a small town i live in phoneix az right now and I hate it everyone is concerned about themselves theres no jobs at all please email me with any advise at [email]simplecountrygrl06@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 05-25-2010, 11:18 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Wow! The definition of Chicago Suburbs must have grown tremendously since I last checked!!
Paris, IL south of Danville & almost 200 miles away is part of the Chicago Suburbs thread?
Perhaps it should be relocated to the Illinois forum?!

Old 07-17-2014, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,144 times
I have lived here for my entire life and it is pretty great. If you are looking for entertainment we have four parks, a roller rink, a movie theater,and it's even fun just to walk around town talk to people. Paris has a solid educational system, with good teachers, principles, guidance counselors, lunch ladies, you name it, and Paris schools have it in spades. Crime is incredibly low, in fact I haven't heard of any issues for four years. It snows every year at a comfortable depth with the kind of snow that kids love to play in and build with. If you need a well paying job and you are fine with a factory job then NAL is the best place for you. I get $30 dollars an hour with a weekly salary of over $1000! So yeah, Paris is one of the best places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs