Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2010, 06:07 AM

124 posts, read 277,368 times

Advertisements

I understand that a continuing care retirement community (The Mather) is being built at 425 Davis Street in Evanston, a couple of blocks south of the Northwestern campus. I live out of state and am unfamiliar with Evanston. On paper, the location looks ideal: walking distance to the NU campus, the lakeshore, the library, a Whole Foods market, a Purple Line station, etc. Are there any downsides to living in that part of Evanston (aside from cost of living)? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 11:12 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,399 times
There use to be a large portion of the city that was "zoned" section 8, but I believe the city of Evanston has passed a law that removed them from the city? I could be wrong...in any case, the majority of the former section 8 residents of Evanston now live in Skokie and other suburbs.

Evanston is a beautiful suburb and is definitely one of the best. It has an amazing downtown, great access to the lake, and is a stones throw from Chicago. There's no real downside that would be a deal breaker for Evanston. It's a vibrant North Shore community that I'm sure you'd love.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:31 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,628 times
That part of Evanston is beautiful, and there's no Section 8 or anything similar nearby. I was recently walking by the Mather (a multi-phase development, much of which is already occupied) and thought that it would be an ideal retirement spot (for the Midwest, anyway). For one, it's one of the very few places outside of downtown Chicago where you would not need a car. Evanston has a number of very good restaurants (both casual and upscale) within walking distance, and the amenities you mention are at your doorstep. NU has so many arts and culture programs, continuing ed classes, sports events, etc. that you wouldn't feel a need to go into Chicago for activity very often; but, should you wish to, you can walk to the Purple Line for a quick and enjoyable ride through many of Chicago's best neighborhoods into the Loop.

As for negatives, while crime isn't a big concern in the areas you're speaking of, Evanston is more like a small city than a suburb and does have some pockets where crime is a concern (predominantly the southern and western edges of town). And it's worth knowing that Evanston - like many college towns - tends to lean left politically, and tends to be friendly to varying lifestyles and family structures. Certainly not a negative in my book, but could be to some.

Last edited by SloopyJ; 10-13-2010 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Addition of negatives

Old 10-13-2010, 02:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
I'm not sure where you get that there is no section 8 housing in Evanston. Primm Towers on Emerson St, has section 8 for the elderly, I think and that's not far from the downtown Davis and Church Street area.

It's gone to a voucher program though and there are probably not many places for rent. Many of the section 8 programs have a long waiting list.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
The following article is not typical, but not surprising:

Evanston police charge teen in downtown shooting :: News :: PIONEER PRESS :: Evanston Review (http://www.pioneerlocal.com/evanston/news/2784954,evanston-shooting-100810-s1.article - broken link)

Evanston is essentially city living. You say you're from out of state, but don't say city, suburban or rural. The area has all the amenities the above posters have mentioned and a lot of vitality, but if car break-ins, petty thefts, and rare but occasional muggings and shootings would scare you, you need to do a little more due diligence. Some people are cut out for it, some aren't.

Use Google news to search the last 5-10 years of reports near Davis downtown. Certainly not as bad as the deep inner-city, but not Mayberry either. Make sure you're a good fit.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:32 AM

736 posts, read 1,695,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
There use to be a large portion of the city that was "zoned" section 8, but I believe the city of Evanston has passed a law that removed them from the city? I could be wrong...in any case, the majority of the former section 8 residents of Evanston now live in Skokie and other suburbs.
Lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: