Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 AM

77 posts, read 300,973 times

Advertisements

We are a married couple here looking for houses in the 200k range. With this price range we are limited to Streamwood and Hanover Park. Can anyone tell me the good areas of Streamwood and the areas to avoid. We found a huge rehabbed house around Woodland Elementry. The house is south of Woodland Park and Directly east of Dolphin Park. This seems like a nice area with schools tons of parks and shopping. My concerns are safety and not so great school dist. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,661,500 times
Shut up.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:56 AM

759 posts, read 3,147,547 times
Have you considered a townhome? My former MIL lives in Streamwood in Concord Station subdivision, and there are currently some beautiful 2 story 3 br townhomes for that price and under. The Brittany Square subdivision has a 3 br for 185,000 (Irving Park Road between Bartlett road and Rte 59). The townhomes tend to be newer and nicer in Streamwood than in Schaumburg for a cheaper price. Oak Ridge Trails has a lot of beautiful duplexes and a lot of them have fenced in back yards. I was helping my MIL look for a house or a townhouse in Streamwood, and the duplexes and townhomes just seemed to have better neighborhoods.

I can't tell you much about the safety, but my niece and nephew both went to the Streamwood elementary schools. My niece (who is very smart atraight A), was harrassed by a group of girls once she got in the upper grades. She went to a private high school. You might want to tour the school before you buy a house.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:35 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,444,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBS07 View Post
We are a married couple here looking for houses in the 200k range. With this price range we are limited to Streamwood and Hanover Park. Can anyone tell me the good areas of Streamwood and the areas to avoid. We found a huge rehabbed house around Woodland Elementry. The house is south of Woodland Park and Directly east of Dolphin Park. This seems like a nice area with schools tons of parks and shopping. My concerns are safety and not so great school dist. Any help would be appreciated.
Just curious why you feel you have to live in Hanover Park and Streamwood only? Theyre the 2 suburbs that I would never recommend to anyone at any time. Not that theyre the worst places to live, but theyre definitely not desireable and their not the safest places either.

You should be able to find a nice new townhouse for that price in several much nicer towns.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:43 PM

145 posts, read 656,325 times
We were in a similar price range when hunting a house back in October, and we found houses in Carol Stream, which I recommend highly. True, there is no downtown, but the schools are good (I tutor for students that are just fine with the high school anyhow) and it's close enough to a lot of other suburbs with downtowns (if you want such, seems to be a big deal around here). Plenty of shopping in box stores, if you like those, and a really good mall. HTH!

Old 08-03-2009, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 10,928 times
The MOST IMPORTANT part when looking into any home when you have small children is go to the nearest POLICE STATION and question them to where sex offenders are in the area of your interest. Then check out schools, then if you are still interested then check out homes.......

Old 08-03-2009, 03:40 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,831,727 times
My sister-in-law and her husband lived in Streamwood for a while, and it is very quiet and safe. It has a crime rate similar to other suburbs according to the city-data stats. There is a growing hispanic minority there that accounts for about 20% of the population, and that concerns some people who believe gang activity will rise also. But so far crime is still very low in Streamwood.

There are certainly affordable suburbs with better school systems nearby, however. Something to consider.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:56 AM

286 posts, read 1,367,944 times
O M G - I grew up in that neighbor of Streamwood! My old stomping grounds!!! My best friend grew up at Oriole & Wildwood! Yes, I remember it well...

I lived there for 18 years, and my family was there for 22 yrs. I hated that place - the drugs, the violence, the never feeling safe at night walking down my own block (and yes, I lived 2 blocks away from Police Dept - oh, which, let me tell you a story -- another 'friend' of mine, I should say a kid that I used to play with, was later arrested and imprisoned for sitting on the side of Irving Park Road at Tefft Middle School for shooting at passing by police cars. He was caught after hitting the back window and injuring an, odd in a way, innocent passenger in the backseat being taken in for questioning. It made the news and all, but it was strange that people just thought - oh well,that's where we live and moved on. Sad). Just after I moved, all combinations of gang colors were banned from Streamwood HS (and I think lower level schools too?), as well as metal detectors being installed which were considered overly secure at the time when nobody had them (different story today). When I did go to school at SHS, we were known as the "2nd to last chance school." If you were kicked out of your school, you could go to SHS. Likely you'd be kicked out of there too, and then off to Elgin HS. After that - you were SOL as no HS would take you at that point. Dist U-46, then, was not doing so well. Can't speak for them now.

Well, that was then and this is now. I moved away in 1988, yes a LONG time ago, and I've been back to visit the area a few times and still feels the same way. I've still kept in touch with a few people who live in the area, but things just stay the same there since the early 70's. That whole area is what it is.

As for finding a home for $200k? My wife, son, and I just moved into our first home in Arlington Heights for $235k. We're quite pleased with our new home and love the area. Much better than where we both grew up (she grew up in the Carpentersville / E Dundee area - I'll let her post about that area).

Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,609 times
I lived in Streamwood from 1966 ( I was 6 months old ) to 1993. I grew up on Meadow Ln. right near the corner of Park Blvd. I went to Woodland Heights, Teft Jr. High and Streamwood High. Until my parents sold our house, we never locked our doors. Yes, there were a few incidents in the village, but for the most part it was a safe, nice place to live. My grandma still lives there on Whitewood Dr. near Canton Jr. high.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:54 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,279,993 times
If it is U-46 schools- stay away!! You can do better for your kids. Not that it's bad, but there are many better districts. Even if you have to rent a house or buy a townhome or duplex, focus on better schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs