Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 AM

15 posts, read 45,581 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband just accepted a position working in Hoffman Estates. We will be relocating from Philadelphia suburbs. We have 4 children ranging in age from baby to grade 6. We are looking for a house in the $400K - $525k range. We are concerned about both Schools and Resale value. We are coming from a town of appr 50,000 with its own school district and A+ schools. Academics and athletics are key. My son plays soccer and la cross. We want to get into a family community where it will be easy to establish friendships (we don't know a soul in all of IL) and be part of the community. We have heard about Huntley and Lake in the Hills as being possible candidates. I haven't seen much posted about either. Is Huntley growing too quickly to have a strong academic program at the HS? Any suggestions/thoughts. We want a fairly short commute - appr. 30 minutes or less. P.S. Also interested in knowing how schools are funded in IL... Your thoughts are appreciated. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:59 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I would suggest Arlington Heights or Barrington. Good sought after family towns,good schools,great park dist/athletic programs,easy commute to H.Estates and metra lines to Chicago. Huntley and Lake in the Hills, are cookie cutter sub division and strip mall explosions.Maybe thats ok for you,but the commute would be longer. The growth has been so rapid that the schools are pretty crowded.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 AM

How about Geneva? Is this too far?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:45 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecisionTime View Post
How about Geneva? Is this too far?

FO-GETTABOU-IT! There is just plain old two lane everywhere trying to service exploding communities. The traffic is absolutley horrendous during rush hour. The person who suggested Arlington Heights and that area is right. You can just hop on the 90 and shoot right over to Hoffman Estates. Better yet, why not just live in H.E.? H.E. is very nice.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:56 AM

I heard the H.E. is very commercial - a lot of business, with residential areas sprouting around it.....true? We want a community, small-town feel.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
I heard the H.E. is very commercial - a lot of business, with residential areas sprouting around it.....true? We want a community, small-town feel.
Hoffman Estates is a mix bag of everything really. You may want to consider Algonquin or as someone else said, Arlington Heights. Both are very nice towns. A.H. is a HUGE town, but surprisingly has a small town feel to it's neighborhoods. A.H. is also an older town with most of it's homes being from the 1960's and 70's, but residents have some pretty good pride in their homes in that area and the houses are in good shape.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Yes it is,you heard right. Nice place to work,but my Arlington Hts,Barrington ideas are worth looking into. The downtown of Algonquin is 'small town' feel but those cookie cutter sub-divisions and strip malls are there and it will be a longer commute for you,depends where work is in HE. You might also check out Palatine. Another nice downtown with metra line and good schools. Some small pockets of section 8 housing along Hicks and Rt 12 (Rand rd),but other then that, great community that fits your requests.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Thanks all for your opinions - this really helps. Having never been to Chicago, other than for an in-and-out business trip, this board is so very helpful.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:50 AM

Good luck to you and welcome to Illinois. Hope you find "home"

Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 PM

220 posts, read 744,356 times
I would echo Arlington Heights. Hoffman Estates is Ok for living, but there is no real center (and it is not "commerical with houses around - that is Schaumburg).

Arlington Heights is also better than Barrington, becuase it is much larger and better located for access to nearby shopping (any store you can think of), amenities (great parks and has two huge forest preserves at either end), and has a nice urban small downtown area and great older house neighorhoods.

In your price range you could easily find something pretty nice within 1-2 miles of downtown Arlington Heights (which is really the best part of Arlington Heights).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs