Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:29 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
C'mon Lookout, you of all people going to bat for snout-houses? Are you crackin' wise?
I didn't say I like 'em! But they do make garage burglaries more difficult. And, uh, the weather thing.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
It still amazes me that people leave their garage doors open or their side/utility doors unlocked. Yet this is often the situation according to the crime blotters.
I'm not a person who has ever kept anything of value in a garage other than my car, but I would probably get annoyed as a homeowner if I couldn't keep a lawn mower or snow blower back there...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm not a person who has ever kept anything of value in a garage other than my car, but I would probably get annoyed as a homeowner if I couldn't keep a lawn mower or snow blower back there...
Sure, I keep stuff of (some marginal) value in our garage. But we always keep the doors shut/locked when unattended.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 31,222 times
You guys are starting to make me nervous...there is a good chance I'm gonna be moving to Oak Park or Forest Park in July. I'm a little less concerned about property crime - it happens...but violent crime worries me a bit since I will be moving with my new wife (we'll both be 22 yr old). See thread //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...al-school.html

Do the "not going out by herself at night" and similar rules apply in these areas? Or is that just a general citywide smart behavior?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyolamedstudent View Post
You guys are starting to make me nervous...there is a good chance I'm gonna be moving to Oak Park or Forest Park in July. I'm a little less concerned about property crime - it happens...but violent crime worries me a bit since I will be moving with my new wife (we'll both be 22 yr old). See thread //www.city-data.com/forum/chica...al-school.html

Do the "not going out by herself at night" and similar rules apply in these areas? Or is that just a general citywide smart behavior?
Where are you coming from? The violent crime levels in Oak Park are comparable to what you might find in Lincoln Park or Lake View in the city. Oak Park is a safe community, but has more crime than other suburbs at that high price point.

Here's a little crime comparison analysis I did a while back (it's been posted before):

Old 03-02-2009, 06:33 PM

5 posts, read 31,222 times
Quote:
Where are you coming from? The violent crime levels in Oak Park are comparable to what you might find in Lincoln Park or Lake View in the city. Oak Park is a safe community, but has more crime than other suburbs at that high price point.

I'm coming from a city of 100k+ in Iowa (Cedar Rapids). I looked at some crime statistics and it looks like OP isn't much worse in terms of overall crime rate (Forest Park is a little higher). I think the main difference is that the density of crime is just that much higher - which is what I am not used to. All in good time I suppose.

From what you have seen overtime - are the fancier apartment complexes more of a target because of the assumed greater wealth?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,009 times
I don't know if the fancy apartments are more of a target or not. One thing you can do is to monitor the crime happening at the addresses where you are looking to live via Oak Park PD's website. I think coming to visit will also you give you a great sense of the town and community.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM

I wouldn't worry about standing out in a "fancy apartment". If it's an apartment in Oak Park, it's on the less-fancy side for the town as a whole. Houses in Oak Park are quite expensive, and there are many mansions in the village.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:08 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Nobody likes break-ins and armed robberies. Do you have any constructive, practical suggestions for how to reduce them.
Just blow a whistle!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
If you adjust Elmwood Park's population upward to equal Oak Park, you would average about five robberies per month. And Elmwood Park crime is down about 33% over the last ten years.
Yeah, but armed robberies are more extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs