Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times

Advertisements

Why size/type of farmland are you looking for? I may be able to recommend areas, but need more info.

Are you talking small family farm (say, 10-15 acres), or something much larger suitable for commercial farm use?

Are you talking about land that is already set up for crop-growing? Livestock? Horses? Or, just open forested land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
West - out in Wayne, straight out on north avenue past route 59. Past that through St. charles to Campton hills, and st. charles township there are farms.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:14 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
There's farmland out in Will County past Bolingbrook. Not so much anymore but some, and past Joliet is really open.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:06 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Thanks. Which area of NW IN? Any near Lake M? Which is the closest area to Chicago with farmland that is safe in IN?
Not sure what you mean by safe ... unpolluted soil, or safe as in your family will be safe.

you can go to the local MLS search engine and click on farms and see what comes up. I'll dm you the website.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:38 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
To the south there's farmland in Will County I'm sure, but I don't know specifics.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Regarding the above post...It's tough to say as far as the south is concerned because a town like Matteson has "farmland" but it has a giant billboard sign saying "Retail Space Available" meaning the southern burbs like Matteson and its' neighbors to the west (Frankfort) and south (Monee) have farmland but it's already slated as commerical or residential zones by the individual towns becuase that area's population is booming. the real farmland for the south would probably start near Monee. Which would be about 38 miles to Chicago's city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Thank you so much.

Also, how about to the south and southwest? Are those areas unsafe? When do you start to see farms there?

Is it warmer in the southern or southwestern areas?

Thanks.
It is definently warmer in will and kankakee counties opposed to the ones up north where towns like Gurnee reside. It's actually quite a large difference (on some days 5 or more degrees).

It's safe in the areas that are south of Monee. I think Peotone might be perfect for you. I have a relative that moved from Chicago Heights, about 10 years ago, to Peotone and they just love it. Of course they have an extensive gun collection so the proximity, or lack there of, to their neighbors is not a concern. If you are a farmer, you could probably have an axe wielding maniac chop your neighbors to bits and you would never hear their blood curdling screams because the houses are soooo far apart out there. That's why it is a must to have a good dog or two and some guns. Just my opinion of course...and just a little FYI section 8 types are in a lot of farm towns. Ever since Chicago knocked down the projects, the southern suburbs have been flooded with those types. Even the farm communities like Peotone.

Another thing, my Uncle who moved from the Heights to Peotone recently planted the same kind of trees that I did in my yard roughly 8-10 years ago. The Maple I planted is nearing 40 feet while his is still about 10-12 feet. This is because of decades of farming has robbed the soil of its' essential nutrients. Point being, I would test the soil in several different areas, for PH balance and so forth, before buying the property. That is, if I was going to actually grow soy beans or corn.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 03-04-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 03-04-2009, 09:57 AM

125 posts, read 380,877 times
There is still plenty of farmland, south and southwest of the city about 25 to 30 miles near Crete, Monee, Peotone, and Beecher. Even in Manteno and Bourbonais. There has been a proposed airport for those sights but it is still very controversial.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 AM

125 posts, read 380,877 times
Much of Lowell, and St. John still have land, but they are not near the lake.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,355 times
Thank you. I want to do some organic farming: nut trees, vegetables and herbs. A bit bigger than 15 acres but not the large commercial farms. Perhaps it is better to start with open forest land? Since most of the farmland probably have already been stripped of nutrients for organic farming.

Thanks for any tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNaomi View Post
Why size/type of farmland are you looking for? I may be able to recommend areas, but need more info.

Are you talking small family farm (say, 10-15 acres), or something much larger suitable for commercial farm use?

Are you talking about land that is already set up for crop-growing? Livestock? Horses? Or, just open forested land?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,355 times
Both, safety for people and unpolluted and healthy soil and clean air and clean water.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Not sure what you mean by safe ... unpolluted soil, or safe as in your family will be safe.

you can go to the local MLS search engine and click on farms and see what comes up. I'll dm you the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs