Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 07:02 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,763,571 times

Advertisements

I hope I'm not delving into the pithifly trivial here, but...

Does any part of Evanston feed into New Trier High School?

Since my wife is a New Trier grad and I'm one from ETHS (far too many years back than I'd like to admit), I feel I should know the answer.

Yet in some sources I've read a "small portion" of Evanston is included in New Trier's attendance area.

Here's what I always thought I knew:

Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, and Glencoe go to NTTHS entirely. Either all or virtually all of Northfield does (I'm not sure if any small part feeds into GBN/GBS. And a small portion of Glenview also goes to NTTHS.

But Evanston? If so....where? Has to be microscopic. My impression was ETHS included all of Evanston and the "Skevanston" part of Skokie. And if a part of Evanston does feed into New Trier, does it go to Evanston or Wilmette schools for K-8?

Also...does anyone know: does NT attendance area coincide with township boundaries for New Trier Twp?

For ETHS, the boundaries do not since Skevanston is part of Niles Twp, not Evanston. But what about New Trier.

And while I'm at it...hope I don't get too far astride here, do the areas of west of 41 in Highland Park still have the option of going to either HPHS or DHS?

And here's one for the ultra-trivial pursuit fan (no, I don't have an answer): are there any high schools in suburban Chicago than serve one municipality in its entirety, but do not include any portion of any other community? I'm thinking "No". I can't think of one example where municipal and high school boundary lines so line up.

ANY OTHER "BORDER DISPUTES" FOR SCHOOLS HERE ARE MORE THAN WELCOME, TOO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 11:48 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,710,119 times
I believe that it is a myth.

If there are any areas of Evanston located in NTHS' district, they must be zoned commercial, otherwise someone would have met someone who was from Evanston but went to NTHS. Lots of families have starter homes in Evanston and then plan to move to the NT district, prehaps the confusion stems from those families stating that their kids would be going to New Trier. Also, NT takes tuition students so one could live in Evanston and pay tuition to go to NT.

Its an interesting question, I do know that I heard the same thing over the years about this mysterious part of Evanston that might feed into NT but nobody knows where it is or anyone who lives there.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:25 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,644,361 times
According to the website, Evanston and Skokie are the only two communities served by ETHS (see first paragraph):

Evanston Township High School, District 202 - Welcome to Our Website (http://www.eths.k12.il.us/information/ - broken link)

Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM

1,720 posts, read 2,545,344 times
Also, if you go to the New Trier website there is a link to a district boundary map. I would link it, but their site freezes my crappy work computer.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:49 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,404,548 times
A small part of Evanston with no homes goes to New Trier. Several of the homes around Baker Demonstration are actually Evanston Township but have Wilmette addresses, services, and pay Wilmette taxes. No one at New Trier has an Evanston address though and it is not clearly defined on a map.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
A small part of Evanston with no homes goes to New Trier. Several of the homes around Baker Demonstration are actually Evanston Township but have Wilmette addresses, services, and pay Wilmette taxes. No one at New Trier has an Evanston address though and it is not clearly defined on a map.
Is the Baker development the one on Sheridan where Nat'l College used to be? I had heard that (just like NLU), the site was partially in Evanston and partially in Wilmette. It advertised ETHS and NT as the two school districts it would feed into, but I figured it was the Evanston part to ETHS and the Wilmette part to NT.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:26 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,710,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Is the Baker development the one on Sheridan where Nat'l College used to be? I had heard that (just like NLU), the site was partially in Evanston and partially in Wilmette. It advertised ETHS and NT as the two school districts it would feed into, but I figured it was the Evanston part to ETHS and the Wilmette part to NT.
That was the information I've heard too. I thought you could only use an adjoining towns post office if you were unincorporated. It doesn't make any sense that property in Evanston would have a Wilmette address & services. Services only go to incorporated areas.

It is possible that some of those homes would be built on lots that straddle both the towns.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
That was the information I've heard too. I thought you could only use an adjoining towns post office if you were unincorporated. It doesn't make any sense that property in Evanston would have a Wilmette address & services. Services only go to incorporated areas.

It is possible that some of those homes would be built on lots that straddle both the towns.
There actually is a portion of "Skanston" that has Evanston addresses but is actually in Skokie. If I remember correctly, it isn't the entire area that feeds into Evanston Public Schools and ETHS (which I believe goes south to somewhere between Dempster and Main and west to Crawford). The only part, I believe, is north of Church and east of Crawford. This area is definitely Skokie with Evanston addreses. That said, there are no other services offered by Evanston to this area (the schools, of course, being separate from the municipalities).

Old 03-08-2009, 08:21 PM

All of which brings up an interesting question:

How did "Skanston" come into existence and why did it end up using Evanston schools rather than Skokie and Niles Twp schools.

I do know that Skokie was originally Niles Center and it grew to the west, around the current downtown Skokie area. Skokie streets, I believe, were laid out before WWII but didn't get developed until after hte war when development was exceedingly rapid.

I can't think of any reason why that one region of Skokie became part of Evanston schools. Even though Skokie is unusual with the number of small school districts in one community, at least al the other parts of Skokie all fed into the Niles Twp HS (West, North, and the former East).

One other thing base on Anthera's observation that is is indeed odd to see one community provide another services:

I know Lincolnwood at one time used services provided by Chicago. I believe (not positive here) that Chicago provided both post office and library. Does anyone else remember that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs