Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 08:12 AM

111 posts, read 381,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
A lot of Berwyn is Section 8 and its has high crime rates
No and no. As the numbers already posted show, Berwyn has a small number of Section 8 recipients and has lower crime rates than other, comparably sized suburbs. And, while I have no evidence to back this up, my guess is that a significant amount of the crime in Berwyn is retail theft, not crimes against the person. I live next door to Berwyn and spend some time there and have never felt unsafe. It's a fine community that would be a great community if it could improve its high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 09:01 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Berwyn isn't that bad

Berwyn is a solidly working class community, nothing wrong with that. There are parts of Berwyn I actually favor over Oak Park east of Ridgeland. Section 8 is clearly a small part of housing in Berwyn.

Why is it that Section 8 is a code word for African American? So sad.

People just say what you think, that you don't want to live next to a bunch of poor black people.

The 3 black families I evicted last year were all non-Section 8. They were jealous of Section 8 families (because they pay less rent) but did not want to mess with all the paperwork you need to go thru to qualify for Section 8.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
That Section 8 is two tenths of one percent of Berwyn’s population tells you a whole bunch about these statements. People throw out the term “Section 8” because it’s less offensive and guilt-invoking to a white person than saying “my friend lives across the street from a black apartment building and he’s just worried sick” or “a lot of Berwyn is black and its has high crime rates” or “if there was an apartment building that was filled with 90% plus of black folks, I’d consider that a bad place to be” or “I sure don’t want to pay $400k for a house when there may be blacks over on the next block, eeek!” Yet, that’s exactly what they’re saying, and they know it. I’m with you Humbolt – just come out and say it already, good lord!

It’s also paranoia to a large extent. The great and mighty Stat Man says that Berwyn’s African American population is relatively small and primarily renter based. School District 98 in North Berwyn, where the majority of Berwyn’s apartments are located, is 9.1% African American (2007 ISBE School Report Card). School District 100 in South Berwyn is 2.4% African American. Morton West High School is 4.1% African American. Still, these are higher than historic norms (i.e. 0) in a community that has traditionally been very hostile towards this group, which I’m afraid probably accounts for some of the animosity and fear that people from outside the community are probably picking up on and/or citing.

For nearby comparisons, Oak Park’s District 97 is 28.2% African American. Oak Park River Forest High School is 24.9%. Forest Park’s District 91 is 48.7%. Proviso East High School (Forest Park) is 73.1%.

And I note some of the folks making these comments seem to be from the Tinley/Palos/Orland area. All I have to say to you is watch out. I’m not so sure those communities will avoid African American influxes for much longer given that the migration pattern of that group seems to be trending south and southwest. Tinley Park High School is 25.8% African American now and the higher % of actual Section 8 is flowing down by you guys (heck, Tinley Park has 113 of them per the Housing Authority of Cook County, which is more than the Section 8 infested Berwyn!). Hopefully you’ll deal with the newcomers in a positive manner and not throw labels at people. Learn to love and embrace, my brothers and sisters. Don’t be a hata (sic?).

Old 09-25-2008, 11:32 AM

74 posts, read 286,036 times
Section 8 know no race, color, or creed. To me, your the only one bringing up race.
I am not so sure why your so hostile in response to my threads, I certainly don't live in Berwyn but spent several years there 4-5 days a week. I never said I disliked the area, it just wasn't my kinda place and that had nothing to do with the ethnic make-up. I was more concerned with the traffic on ogden and how narrow the streets were/are.
And your assuming I am caucasion? I am not...

Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM

57 posts, read 160,160 times
I have definitely gotten the impression that there is a lot of negativity coming from the Tinley/Orland/Palos areas on this board. My experience with the area is that alot of the people living there have already fled some neighborhood on the south side and are ultra sensitive to any (and I do mean any) minority presence. Anyone who has family on the south side probably has relatives that have done the Englewood (in the 40's) to Ashburn (in the 50's-60's) to Chicago Heights to Palos shuffle. You can only run for so long...
Anyway- Berwyn is a good community with arguably some of the best housing stock in the suburbs. I suggest anyone interested in the area actually go there and walk around. I have many times and have been nothing but impressed.
I really hope people aren't making decisions on a house purchase based on these message boards.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I'd strongly consider a move to Berwyn if the public schools were better. I love the housing stock there, the access to the Loop, and the proximity to Oak Park's ammenities. I'd like to see Berwyn's commercial sector improve a bit, but there are other options in the area. Crime in Berwyn is not a worry for me at all!

Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,301 times
Default Berwynn YES or NO.. No

Let me start by saying there is a BIG difference in North Berwyn(anything north of Cermak??) and South Berwyn.
We did not know that when we bought our house 6 years ago. We really wish we knew this. We thought North Berwyn would be great because it's close to the expressway, the El train, etc. But, the schools aren't very nice and my daughter is singled out for being "too light".
There have also been a rash of break ins. We have had our garage broken into and two bikes with baby seats stolen from our yard (at 2 PM on a Saturday). When we reported this to the police, the officer was a total jerk and told us "what do you expect me to do? All you are doing by reporting this is making your home owners insurance go up".
I would definately not buy a house here!!!! We are getting out ASAP.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:20 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerwynMom View Post
Let me start by saying there is a BIG difference in North Berwyn(anything north of Cermak??) and South Berwyn.
We did not know that when we bought our house 6 years ago. We really wish we knew this. We thought North Berwyn would be great because it's close to the expressway, the El train, etc. But, the schools aren't very nice and my daughter is singled out for being "too light".
There have also been a rash of break ins. We have had our garage broken into and two bikes with baby seats stolen from our yard (at 2 PM on a Saturday). When we reported this to the police, the officer was a total jerk and told us "what do you expect me to do? All you are doing by reporting this is making your home owners insurance go up".
I would definately not buy a house here!!!! We are getting out ASAP.
I would expect a bike to be stolen out of my yard in just about any Chicago suburb if it were unlocked. If that's your worst example about why to avoid Berwyn, it doesn't sound that bad. I don't think anyone is moving to Berwyn expecting it to be like Orland Park or Naperville!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,480 times
I grew up there and have lived there for 20 years up until last year. I've noticed more crime and sketchy characters increasing ever since 2002 or 2003, even my car got broken into in '04 after never having any problems before. I've heard gunshots growing up as a kid, but I never felt like I should be concerned for my safety up until recently. Even though they are putting up more condos and corporate businesses like Chili's and Panda Express, I wouldn't recommend buying a home in Berwyn for the long run especially if you want to raise a family. Also, when I used to take the cermak bus to work before I had a car, I would always be bothered by creepies nonstop.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbaryz View Post
I grew up there and have lived there for 20 years up until last year. I've noticed more crime and sketchy characters increasing ever since 2002 or 2003, even my car got broken into in '04 after never having any problems before. I've heard gunshots growing up as a kid, but I never felt like I should be concerned for my safety up until recently. Even though they are putting up more condos and corporate businesses like Chili's and Panda Express, I wouldn't recommend buying a home in Berwyn for the long run especially if you want to raise a family. Also, when I used to take the cermak bus to work before I had a car, I would always be bothered by creepies nonstop.
In 2009, I would not invest in Berwyn if u have young children. Yuppies may find it a nice alternative to expensive Oak Park. The schools stink and more trash from the city is finding its way into the area, mainly via apartments and section 8 vouchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs