Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times

Advertisements

No, it isn't. 1,400th post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,649 times
Can somebody please explain me why there's a conception of Berwyn as an unsafe town even though its crime rate is lower than Oak Park and Forest Park, and very near to River Forest's? I'm looking for a place to live in the area (not buying) and I can't understand what the problem with Berwyn is, after hearing from so many people to stay away? And yes I've read all of the posts on this thread and "Is Berwyn potentially the next Oak Park?" thread.
Also I would appreciate it if anyone can give me some information about the area between 16th - Cermak and Harlem Ave - Oak Park Ave.

Last edited by demirhan13; 05-10-2011 at 12:38 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Safety is probably pretty good, the real question in my mind is whether the long term prices will be at least as stable as Oak Park. Those that believe it will, which I think include Richard Bruen, Berwyn eyes giving bungalows a boost - Chicago Tribune (?Bru67) cite the unique prominence of hospital right inn the core of town, well organized home owners and similar pluses.

Negatives include trends of towns to the east and south that have seen erosion of employment options and declines in school performance.

If you get a deal on house that needs work you sorta bake in some value...

Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Safety is probably pretty good, the real question in my mind is whether the long term prices will be at least as stable as Oak Park. ...
I think this will depend on residents Chet -- long term, recent, and newcomers -- deciding what they want and then getting involved to execute the vision. We’re now seeing programs like the one cited in the Tribune article (housing), Berwyn CARES and District 100's DACEE (education), a very active Berwyn Development Corporation (economic development), an active arts scene, and a local government (political administration) that is very open to all of these movements and trying to facilitate them.

This is what you would call the HEAAD Approach to community revitalization – housing, education, administration, arts, and development. Actually, I just made this up but it sounds good, doesn't it! That these multiple movements have emerged so quickly and are working in concert are signs that the community is developing a collective vision.

You have cited to obstacles, and they do exist -- though I’m still honestly having trouble wrapping my head around the employment opportunity one. What about the Loop and the I-294 and I-88 job corridors?? Berwyn is like 15 minutes from these, plus about 5 major medical centers that I could practically hit with a rock standing on my front lawn! These would seem to present strong employment opportunities. The HEAAD community involvement, coupled with “natural advantages” (housing stock, name recognition, proximity to job centers, national trend towards “livable communities”), give it a good shot of reinventing itself in a positive way and, ultimately, replicating the momentum and reputation that Oak Park has.

In any event, I’ve never seen anything like this before in terms of community involvement in so many different areas. Whatever the ultimate result turns out to be, it’s a lot of fun to be involved in!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
I tend to think that there are lots of reasons for Berwyn to do well. The biggest thing that could be a "millstone around their necks" (or more likely concrete boots...) is the long time association with criminal types that is tolerated by the Cicero side of the Morton High School district.

Editorial: Pesek must resign from D-201 board - Cicero, IL - Cicero Life

Going back decades the notorious criminally connected types have managed to win election in Cicero. That undoubtedly scares away good people that would fight for more tranparent and efficient operation of the schools. Heck the well known "thriftinesss" of those that flocked to Berwyn and once made their stretch of Cermack a veritable "roach motel for savings and loans" where hard working families who only "made deposit, not withdrawals" stood in contrast to the section of lawless Cicero to the east where crime families ran prostitution in "by the hour" motels...

Last edited by chet everett; 05-11-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 AM

D201 is the biggest hurdle the community faces. That's the bad news. Good news is everyone pretty much knows it. Tolerance for status quo over there seems to be getting thin.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,867,960 times
Bru,

Everytime the expressway is backed up I drive thru Berwyn on my way to Oakbrook. It is well-located. It does have challenges, but location is not one of them, given its close proximity to a number of major high-paying job corridors (Oakbrook, downtown Chicago).

Still, it will never be another Oak Park and should not aspire to be. It should aspire to be a solid middle to lower-middle class suburb, which it is, similar to Elmwood Park.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 PM

358 posts, read 846,933 times
Has Svengoolie chimed in yet, or his son?

Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
I lived in Berwyn once upon a time. It was a solidly blue collar and a gnerally very decent area to raise a family. It was conveniently located and I had great neighbors. I have not lived there in a very long time, but I would go back because I liked the area. I would go back because of several articles i read in the past about the various groups that formed for the betterment of the community and the schools.

If you like an area, take the time to drive four blocks around said area in every direction on aSunday afternoon. It will probably tell you as much about the area as any realtor or any forum.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Bru,

Everytime the expressway is backed up I drive thru Berwyn on my way to Oakbrook. It is well-located. It does have challenges, but location is not one of them, given its close proximity to a number of major high-paying job corridors (Oakbrook, downtown Chicago).

Still, it will never be another Oak Park and should not aspire to be. It should aspire to be a solid middle to lower-middle class suburb, which it is, similar to Elmwood Park.
I don't think it should (or even could) try to be another Oak Park either. I wouldn't want that anyway. I lived in Oak Park for 5 years and it's a great community. But in many ways, Berwyn is more interesting, particularly now. It has a younger, more active vibe. Oak Park's success has definitely slowed some of the activism it was once known for.

However, I think most who are active in the community strive for something a little better than a middle to lower-middle class suburb. This isn't to say that anyone wants it to totally gentrify and become exclusive to one type of demographic. That would kill its character. But it can be a unique suburb with a diverse population, strong schools, interesting businesses, and high levels of involvement that you don't see in your typical middle class and below community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs