Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 06:30 PM

36 posts, read 188,524 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am moving to the area from the east coast, and in a previous thread I mentioned my husband is getting transfered to the area. Since he is in sales (territory Northern Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota) he will drive and fly to travel. Any idea which area is better for traffic, schools, meeting nice people? We are in our early 30s and I am pregnant with our first. We would LOVE some help, advice, and perspective. Is it better to be NW or W of Chicago? How long does it take to get to O'Hare from Algonquin/Geneva? These seem to be places where we can afford the type of home we want and are curious as to which area is better. Any help is MUCH appreciated...many THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 08:02 AM

13 posts, read 51,246 times
Congrats on becoming a new mommy!!! I have a 10-month old and being a mom is so incredible...indescribable really!!!

I think both towns are excellent choices for you and about equally far from O'Hare. Both towns are full of young families with very good schools.

We live in the Lake Zurich area now but I used to live near Geneva and in Algonquin. Both are "pretty" towns because they are by the river and are hilly with trees. Geneva has more of a quaint downtown area than Algonquin and St. Charles is a very charming town just north of Geneva.

Are you planning a scouting trip at all? Will you be a stay at home mom?

I think you would definately be able to get a good feel for the towns and what you like best about each by visiting. You could also look into the different social options such as mom's groups, parent/baby activities such as Kindermusik, The Little Gym, etc. that will help you meet new people too.

Also, if you are going to use a day care, visiting the different day care facilities can definately help narrow things down too.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 28,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie707 View Post
Hi!
I am moving to the area from the east coast, and in a previous thread I mentioned my husband is getting transfered to the area. Since he is in sales (territory Northern Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota) he will drive and fly to travel. Any idea which area is better for traffic, schools, meeting nice people? We are in our early 30s and I am pregnant with our first. We would LOVE some help, advice, and perspective. Is it better to be NW or W of Chicago? How long does it take to get to O'Hare from Algonquin/Geneva? These seem to be places where we can afford the type of home we want and are curious as to which area is better. Any help is MUCH appreciated...many THANKS!!!
Hi,
I have always loved Algonquin. It's the best choice, a hometown feel with a resort atmosphere at the same time. ABout 35 minutes to OHare. Good luck

Old 04-13-2007, 07:37 PM

92 posts, read 445,679 times
I live right on the border of Algonquin/Carpentersville, and I can say that Algonquin is a nice town, very up and coming you might say. So many places to shop...I'd estimate the drive to O'Hare at around 45 min. I think Geneva might even take longer though, but is a very nice area also.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 22,195 times
Default Cook vs. non-Cook

How far northwest? Basically, it's a question of Cook County vs. non-Cook County. Cook is where Chicago is, and it has a reputation for being very pro-development, tolerant of corruption, and tone-deaf to citizens' needs. Northwest suburbs like Schaumburg and Arlington Heights are very dense, urbanized, and somewhat soul-less. Traffic is bad. Kane County, however, prides itself on its pastoral setting and on being the end of the suburbs and front line for smart growth. McHenry, which is northwest beyond Cook, is very nice, but is growing so fast I suspect it might become a Cook-lite like DuPage. But if you live in the northwest suburbs, getting to O'Hare will be a breeze.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,107 times
Smile consider West Dundee...

I live in West Dundee, so I'm a bit biased, but W.D. is much more convenient to the tollway and to all things east than Algonquin (and definitely closer than Geneva). Both are equally beautiful river towns with quaint downtown areas. Parts of Algonquin do not have access to the Dundee Township park district, which offers a large variety of programs. I've moved into my third home in West Dundee (trying to sell the last home, in case you're interested), because I don't want to leave!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:46 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
Neither of these locations is convenient to getting to O'Hare. Try and pick somewhere that is more central and nearer a main highway.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:41 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,834 times
Both would be fine. But, it sounds to me like he might do a lot of driving...if his territory is in Wisconisn and Minnesota. I would pick Algonquin just because its a little easier to go north from there on Highway 31 (to wisconsin) and your still close to I-90 if he needs to drive anywhere else, or go to O-hare.

Geneva works too but I think Algonquin, you just have less congestion to the north. Its just...I can't imagine flying to Madison or Milwaukee - you know? so that would be important to me.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:55 PM

532 posts, read 1,231,595 times
Dupage county is more affluent than Northwest suburbs of Cook. But the taxes are higher in Dupage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs