Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 PM

172 posts, read 316,240 times

Advertisements

Frankfort. I have many gay friends and there is a gay couple across the street. They'll ever it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:57 PM

39 posts, read 77,914 times
Thanks for the suggestion. Anything closer to the city? Frankfort seems really far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drss01 View Post
Frankfort. I have many gay friends and there is a gay couple across the street. They'll ever it here.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:34 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I suspect there are now gay couples living in pretty much every town in the region. Seven years have seen lots of changes in attitudes toward gay marriage.

I would also add that towns like Skokie have attracted lots of Muslim immigrants and may not be ideal for single gay men.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:41 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
There are a lot of gay couples in Berwyn who live in historic bungalows. The city is known for being gay friendly.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 AM

172 posts, read 316,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I suspect there are now gay couples living in pretty much every town in the region. Seven years have seen lots of changes in attitudes toward gay marriage.

I would also add that towns like Skokie have attracted lots of Muslim immigrants and may not be ideal for single gay men.
Muslims are literally everywhere

Old 12-30-2014, 06:08 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

I suspect you're right. Gays now have a "positive stereotype" of enhancing overall property condition and raising property values, which probably stems from their involvement in the revitalization of some Chicago neighborhoods, most notably Lakeview/Boystown.

Many communities are even actively try to target them, as ToriaT points out. Berwyn, which once famously excluded gays from protection in its human relations ordinance after some major political drama, is one example which jumped on board late. It is really going after this demographic with a marketing campaign. There are others which are more subtly trying to attract them I'm sure.

In any case, I think the vast majority of middle and upper middle class suburbs in Chicagoland would welcome a gay couple at this point, without having to spring for Oakparkevanston "progressiveness."

Old 12-30-2014, 08:03 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I would definitely say that gay adults are underrepresented where I live in Glen Ellyn, but I do still know several and believe they are mostly accepted by the community at large. I did recently hear a story of an eighth grader who was bullied a little bit in Wheaton, but that's Wheaton. I personally would like to see more gay couples and parents out in our neck of the woods. Gay kids grow up in literally every corner of the world, and it would be nice to have more positive gay role models around--though I understand the appeal of clustering in "gayborhoods"--or even the idea of safety in numbers, which was once essential for survival before gay rights became more recognized.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:03 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I would definitely say that gay adults are underrepresented where I live in Glen Ellyn, but I do still know several and believe they are mostly accepted by the community at large. I did recently hear a story of an eighth grader who was bullied a little bit in Wheaton, but that's Wheaton. I personally would like to see more gay couples and parents out in our neck of the woods. Gay kids grow up in literally every corner of the world, and it would be nice to have more positive gay role models around--though I understand the appeal of clustering in "gayborhoods"--or even the idea of safety in numbers, which was once essential for survival before gay rights became more recognized.
Haha! I wonder how long it will take Hollandsworth to respond to that one. In any case, I still think the gayborhood is obsolete at this point, at least in Chicagoland. If he was going to move to a suburb of, say, a big city in a Bible Belt state, I could see the concern. Heck, maybe even in 1995 Chicago, I could see the concern. But today, I think the vast majority of communities worth iving in would accept a gay couple with open arms.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:00 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Haha! I wonder how long it will take Hollandsworth to respond to that one. In any case, I still think the gayborhood is obsolete at this point, at least in Chicagoland. If he was going to move to a suburb of, say, a big city in a Bible Belt state, I could see the concern. Heck, maybe even in 1995 Chicago, I could see the concern. But today, I think the vast majority of communities worth iving in would accept a gay couple with open arms.
That a jab? I haven't heard the story and couldn't find it after a quick search. Bullying is an issue everywhere though.

Regardless, there are gay adults living in Wheaton too. Even Wheaton College a vocal community of LGBTQs that is generally supported by the community at large -- despite being labeled one of the least friendly colleges for gays. A couple churches around town fly the colors. Prolly not right to pigeonhole a community of 50,000 because of the actions of a few moth-eaten knuckleheads....

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 12-30-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 10:09 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
That a jab? I haven't heard the story and couldn't find it after a quick search. Bullying is an issue everywhere though.
It's not a news story. It's an incident that was brought up among some parents I know as a reason they quit their church in Wheaton and started attending a "gay-friendly" church in Glen Ellyn. It occurred in a public middle school on the north side of town, and several kids used religious justification to tell a student he was going to hell for being gay. Multiple straight students did stand up for their gay friend, however.

It wasn't a serious incident of violence or "bashing", but it was enough for some parents to be concerned and for a child to feel ostracized. I was happy to hear that he had some friends to have his back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs