Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:54 PM

143 posts, read 460,203 times

Advertisements

Until yesterday, we were planning an apt hunting trip next week to find a place downtown for my daughter. The folks on the Chicago thread have helped us out tremendously. She was going to live in the West Loop and take the train to her job in Buffalo Grove/Lincolnshire. In getting more details from her new employer yesterday, she found out that her start time would be much earlier than she had anticipated. Long story, short ... she needs to find a place to live in the suburbs. We're still coming to town next week but it won't be downtown. Any suggestions on cool places for young singles to live in northern burbs? Her budget is appx $1,250/month for an apartment. Now, she'll be bringing her car. Thanks, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
I would go with Schaumburg.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I would go with Schaumburg.

We will certainly be heading that way. Arlington Heights looks like a good area to explore, too. Based on the responses, there doesn't seem to be a lot of "cool" places. No wonder she still wants to live downtown and take a 5:40am train. Avengerfire, thanks for responding.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Evanston-It's quite a schlep but at that hour, it's no big deal. You have the lake, beaches, parks, the Northwestern scene and a heck of a lot of young adults. It's also a quick el ride to the city. There's a lot of rental in Evanston and therefore a greater likelihood to find something in her price range.

I do not consider Schaumburg to be particularily cool for young adults. AH is a big maybe, but $1250 is not going to cut it in the " cooler" parts.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:04 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
If it is going to take an hour to drive to Buffalo Grove from Evanston why even live in the burbs? She might as well live in the city and drive an hour.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Evanston-It's quite a schlep but at that hour, it's no big deal. You have the lake, beaches, parks, the Northwestern scene and a heck of a lot of young adults. It's also a quick el ride to the city. There's a lot of rental in Evanston and therefore a greater likelihood to find something in her price range.

I do not consider Schaumburg to be particularily cool for young adults. AH is a big maybe, but $1250 is not going to cut it in the " cooler" parts.

Where are the cooler parts and what's the price of entry?
middle-aged mom, haven't you recommended Arlington Heights in previous posts to young professionals? I know I read that somewhere on this thread last year when we were looking for an apt for her internship.

Last edited by millennialmom; 03-29-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: additional ?

Old 03-29-2009, 02:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
It would be quite a commute, but I recommend something near downtown Naperville. There is a "cool" scene there not found in the suburbs. Jam packed clubs, dining, arts, etc, etc. Downtown Naperville on the weekends is just as wild as any Chicago neighborhood Ive ever been to, even more so at times. And if your daughter is arriving at work that early, she should be able to avoid heavy traffic. If your daughter is really that keen at living somewhere "cool" and doesnt mind a commute, Naperville (downtown area) would probably be her best bet if she likes a big dating scene, wild parties, walkable downtown, etc.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 PM

What's the commute time from Naperville to Buffalo Grove?

Old 03-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Don't worry. I just mapped it. 36 Miles and about 50 minutes. I imagine the actual commute would be longer than that. I'm hoping she can keep her commute to about half hour tops. But then again, it's her call.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:20 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
I would say Arlington Hts is the best bet. Nice downtown,alot of restaraunts in the vibrant downtown. Easy commute to Ohare or metra to the city.I dont recommend S'burg unless you are into strip malls,mega malls,car dealerships and chain restaraunts. As 'cool' as Naperville is, the commute would be the pits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs