Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:35 PM

82 posts, read 392,941 times

Advertisements

There are some really ugly intersections driving west from the city on North Ave heading towards Oak Park. Yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:25 PM

273 posts, read 704,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
he or she...plz, you know I am a Man. don't pull that rookie stuff with me. i grew up around that area. that's why i know. i'm sure everyone references areas that they are familar with.

it sounds to me like most of you are more familar with it than me by the way you are posting.

there are many intersections, 154th and turlington in harvey. then you have Division and 16th st. in the heights. i mean there are tons in the south burbs. no need to mention Ford Heights...
Here's something for you At1WithNature...ENJOY!!

Google Maps

Last edited by Opkl; 04-08-2009 at 04:53 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 04:29 PM

305 posts, read 1,111,074 times
The problem I have with the Golf Mill area is that it isn't ugly due to economic decay. It's just an assault on the senses. It's one thing for an intersection to be in an area that just doesn't have much going for it economically; that's almost a different issue, more sad than nervewracking. But when you drive by Golf Mill, you can't help but wonder how the hell this overdeveloped area came out looking like such a mess. For God's sake, plant a tree or build a fake waterfall or something.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,868,427 times
Any number of intersections in the Chicagoland area lead to Blues Brothers appeal. There's a lot of ugly places in-between all the pretty places, due to the size of the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yep. The area around the intersection of Green Bay Road,Ridge,and Emerson in Evanston.
I dunno, I kinda like the triangle there.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:23 AM

220 posts, read 740,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
The problem I have with the Golf Mill area is that it isn't ugly due to economic decay. It's just an assault on the senses. It's one thing for an intersection to be in an area that just doesn't have much going for it economically; that's almost a different issue, more sad than nervewracking. But when you drive by Golf Mill, you can't help but wonder how the hell this overdeveloped area came out looking like such a mess. For God's sake, plant a tree or build a fake waterfall or something.
Dittos - you nailed the problem with this intersection.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:55 PM

7 posts, read 17,415 times
Default I got one

In Lombard/villa park.

The St. Charles rd. and Grace st. intersection with the railroad tracks

Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 PM

167 posts, read 394,101 times
Default Big Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I'll go with Rt. 30 and Wentworth Ave. in Chicago Heights. boarded up houses, vacant lots, liquor stores, gang graffiti, dope boys on the blocks selling rocks...yeah, it's a wise choice.
Hi. That's a good one to point. I have recently been reading about Chicago Heights history. Very speechless and filled with anger to see a once beautiful city turn into absolute trash. Could I add something in there? Storefront churches with loudmouth, arrogant, Bible-thrashing idiots. These are the same people that appear on WJYS or even on the radio. Stereotype but truth, any area with storefront churches and erratic lives of preachers spells the underworld. I have only been through Chicago Heights a few times on road trips.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 AM

167 posts, read 394,101 times
Default See Below

How about these:
1. 127th and Cicero (pre-2001)
*Above intersection has actually improved since the reconstruction.
2. 127th and Western Ave. (Still very bad)
*Wider with better pavement. Still gets a lot of accidents.
3. 95th and Western Ave.
*Evergreen Mall; 95th narrows to four lanes east of Western Ave.
4. 95th and Cicero Ave.
*Has been terrible since the late 60s when Oak Lawn sprawled out big.
5. 95th and Roberts Rd.
*Traffic turning east to access Tollway, pedestrians to and from schools, shopping, restaurants, and a lot of apartments.
6. Michigan Ave and Wacker Drive
7. Irving Park/Cicero/Milwaukee
8. Devon Ave and Western
9. Larkin Ave and Jefferson Street in Joliet
*Sam's Club, Wal-Mart, and a lot of fast food, stores, big box retailers, and sprawl.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:01 PM

77 posts, read 299,310 times
I've seen worse.....you know it's bad when you get in an area and have to lock your door and the golf mill mall area does not give me that feeling.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:36 PM

220 posts, read 740,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBS07 View Post
I've seen worse.....you know it's bad when you get in an area and have to lock your door and the golf mill mall area does not give me that feeling.
The intent of this thread is about the ugliest suburban intersection not the least safe. Therefore, the Golf/Mil intersection is a great candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs