Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,443 times

Advertisements

Is the intersection of Golf Road and Milwaukee Avenue the ugliest intersection in the entire six-county area?

The last few times I've had the, um, pleasure of driving down Golf Road around Golf Mill, I have been struck by what a horrid, grotesque visual mess that intersection is. Overhead power lines everywhere, a horrendous mix of outdated storefronts oriented every which way, the banal Golf Mill water tower looming large... I think this is as bad as it gets in suburbia.

Is there an intersection that tops it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
Maybe it's not the ugliest, but 95th and Western on the Evergreen Park side has gotten pretty depressing (the Chicago side is much better). An abandoned car dealership and endless low end shopping behind a mile deep of parking lot. Any intersection with the The Plaza, a wal-mart and a sams club has to be in the running.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:41 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
I'll go with Rt. 30 and Wentworth Ave. in Chicago Heights. boarded up houses, vacant lots, liquor stores, gang graffiti, dope boys on the blocks selling rocks...yeah, it's a wise choice.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:04 PM

274 posts, read 709,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I'll go with Rt. 30 and Wentworth Ave. in Chicago Heights. boarded up houses, vacant lots, liquor stores, gang graffiti, dope boys on the blocks selling rocks...yeah, it's a wise choice.
Even though this is a good thread for your intersection, why is it always that area with you? I've seen this in other threads too. Im just wondering.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:24 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
Even though this is a good thread for your intersection, why is it always that area with you? I've seen this in other threads too. Im just wondering.
Maybe because it's one of the most run down looking areas around the burbs.
It would fit in with some of the ugly hoods in Lawndale and Englewood.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:30 PM

274 posts, read 709,262 times
I understand that its an ugly area, but on almost every thread about the south side and south suburbs, he or she, always brings up this area.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
I understand that its an ugly area, but on almost every thread about the south side and south suburbs, he or she, always brings up this area.

I wonder do he go to that area often.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
he or she...plz, you know I am a Man. don't pull that rookie stuff with me. i grew up around that area. that's why i know. i'm sure everyone references areas that they are familar with.

it sounds to me like most of you are more familar with it than me by the way you are posting.

there are many intersections, 154th and turlington in harvey. then you have Division and 16th st. in the heights. i mean there are tons in the south burbs. no need to mention Ford Heights...

Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Is the intersection of Golf Road and Milwaukee Avenue the ugliest intersection in the entire six-county area?

The last few times I've had the, um, pleasure of driving down Golf Road around Golf Mill, I have been struck by what a horrid, grotesque visual mess that intersection is. Overhead power lines everywhere, a horrendous mix of outdated storefronts oriented every which way, the banal Golf Mill water tower looming large... I think this is as bad as it gets in suburbia.

Is there an intersection that tops it?
your post is pretty funny, come to think about it. i gave you rep 4 it.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/17...ec5606.jpg?v=0

Old 04-07-2009, 10:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post

The last few times I've had the, um, pleasure of driving down Golf Road around Golf Mill, I have been struck by what a horrid, grotesque visual mess that intersection is...

...Is there an intersection that tops it?
Yep. The area around the intersection of Green Bay Road,Ridge,and Emerson in Evanston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs