Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 PM

57 posts, read 158,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Nice little piece about Homewood and Flossmoor businesses on 190 North tonight. Great PR!

Yeah- nice video- link is below.

190 North (http://www.190north.com/shows/053109_homewood.htm - broken link)

Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 AM

82 posts, read 254,416 times
It'll be a while before Homewood, and Flossmoor are in shambles. It's a great place to raise your family. H-F is still one of the best schools in the south suburb's and if H-F doesn't fit your standards Marian is a great private school. I think Orland Park would be more suitable if your concerned about race issues though.

That seems to be the main thing in Chicago and it's surrounding suburbs. Race. Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the U.S. Racism is a sick sad reality for African Americans, and Hispanics in the Chicago and surrounding areas.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:14 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarboy View Post
It'll be a while before Homewood, and Flossmoor are in shambles. It's a great place to raise your family. H-F is still one of the best schools in the south suburb's and if H-F doesn't fit your standards Marian is a great private school. I think Orland Park would be more suitable if your concerned about race issues though.

That seems to be the main thing in Chicago and it's surrounding suburbs. Race. Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the U.S. Racism is a sick sad reality for African Americans, and Hispanics in the Chicago and surrounding areas.
Even though Chicago is supposed to be Cosmo & liberal, it still have this race/segregation problem. It seem like most large cities in the Midwest have the segregation problem. The only minority group that get a pass from this is Asians.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:50 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,375,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecollarboy View Post

Orland Park is diverse, as are Palos Park and Palos Heights - large Arab populations.

At some point, there won't be any place left to run.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,840 times
Are either cities what they were twenty years ago? No. I have lived in Flossmoor my entire life and I can honestly say it is becoming worse. However, a city as safe and prominent as Flossmoor getting worse means little. The crime is not getting much worse each year. The school districts are still great and the teachers are just as devoted as they have every been. I just completed a project in which I studied the crime in Flossmoor over the las ten years and in many aspects it is actually getting better. Flossmoor would be a great city to start your family and I really reccomend it to you.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,047,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by admcgee01 View Post
Are either cities what they were twenty years ago? No. I have lived in Flossmoor my entire life and I can honestly say it is becoming worse. However, a city as safe and prominent as Flossmoor getting worse means little. The crime is not getting much worse each year. The school districts are still great and the teachers are just as devoted as they have every been. I just completed a project in which I studied the crime in Flossmoor over the las ten years and in many aspects it is actually getting better. Flossmoor would be a great city to start your family and I really reccomend it to you.
Flossmoor is getting worse. It's not bad to get worse when you're really great to begin with. The crime is not getting much worse. Over the last ten years in many aspects the crime are getting better.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 PM

26 posts, read 80,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by admcgee01 View Post

Again thanks to those who submitted comments to this thread, we are all moved in and very happy. Now if only we can find an IMAX or Mega screen movie theatre around here .

Old 07-11-2009, 07:40 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,344,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_60611 View Post
Again thanks to those who submitted comments to this thread, we are all moved in and very happy. Now if only we can find an IMAX or Mega screen movie theatre around here .

Did you end up in Flossmoor?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 PM

151 posts, read 411,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickPoetry View Post
Chicago Heights is NOT majority black. Last estimates say it is 41% whites, 40% blacks, and 29% hispanic or other. I expect that in the 2010 census it will be almost equally-split among the three, at 33% each. Hispanic are booming in the heights.

I believe the only suburbs that are really majority black in the south burbs are Ford Heights, Robbins, and Harvey. Others, like Olympia Fields and Park Forest, are about 50-50 with blacks and whites. Some, like tinley and orland, are 75--90% white.
I'd be pretty willing to bet that non-Hispanic whites are outnumbered in Da Heights by Hispanics and blacks now.

PF is 50-50 only according to the outdated 2000 census data. Its high school is over 80% black now, although small parts of Chicago Heights and Matteson also go to that school. Olympia Fields was majority black in 2000.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,907,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
His account was terminated when all of Gooibag's aliases and adopted personas were swiped. I thought maybe you were one of them.
Haha, and to think I just complained on some other forum about this. I am a real person, and definitely an actual resident of S Chicagoland! Lol sorry if you have it mixed up...now I need to get up and turn down the air conditioning before I totally forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeTheRustBelt View Post
I'd be pretty willing to bet that non-Hispanic whites are outnumbered in Da Heights by Hispanics and blacks now.

PF is 50-50 only according to the outdated 2000 census data. Its high school is over 80% black now, although small parts of Chicago Heights and Matteson also go to that school. Olympia Fields was majority black in 2000.

Olympia Fields, regardless of whatever majority race, is a very affluent, safe, and welcoming place to be/live. Although I wouldn't want to live there, as I probably wouldn't like the large homes and lack of shopping or restaurants, and so on, I would recomment that town to ANY person of any race to live there. Just remember, that place is very wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs