Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 08:12 PM

151 posts, read 411,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post

Olympia Fields, regardless of whatever majority race, is a very affluent, safe, and welcoming place to be/live. Although I wouldn't want to live there, as I probably wouldn't like the large homes and lack of shopping or restaurants, and so on, I would recomment that town to ANY person of any race to live there. Just remember, that place is very wealthy.
I was just pointing out the demographics, not saying it was good or bad one way or another. Oly Fields IS quite expensive and exclusive, especially for the south suburbs. You really don't think there's enough shopping or restaurants near there? It's not far at all from Homewood and Matteson, which offer plenty.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,907,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeTheRustBelt View Post
I was just pointing out the demographics, not saying it was good or bad one way or another. Oly Fields IS quite expensive and exclusive, especially for the south suburbs. You really don't think there's enough shopping or restaurants near there? It's not far at all from Homewood and Matteson, which offer plenty.
I have no problem with your post, just thought I'd reinforce that it's not a bad area. Sometimes people (not you obviously) have problems with areas that are majority African American. I do not, and I hope that no one would miss out on moving to Olympia Fields because of that.

As far as shopping and dining goes, I just notice that there isn't -much- shopping or dining compared to its neighbors: CC Hills, Homewood, Flossmoor, and Matteson.

I would definitely consider Olympia Fields, Frankfort, Mokena, Flossmoor, and Homewood to be the gems of South Chicagoland.

Honorable mentions go to Tinley Park and its twin Orland Park. I didn't mention those because of the traffic congestion, and just general busy areas. I wouldn't want to live in either suburb.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 PM

26 posts, read 80,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Did you end up in Flossmoor?
Sorry for the late reply, been kind of busy with work, but Homewood in answer to your question

Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,109 times
Yes,
by all means buy a home in Homewood or Flossmoor. The empty-nesters and retired people are moving/dying and leaving behind wonderful homes that have been well kept. The insane taxes keep the undesirables at bay. There are many parks, a downtown and the schools rank well (go to Interactive Illinois Report Card). CRIME in Homewood is mostly near I-80 where the big box stores are and not where the residential is.

I grew up in Roseland and Calumet City in the 70's and 80's and things have changed a lot. I have lived in Hyde Park and currently Pilsen. I would have stayed in Pilsen, but the developers, yuppie-hipsters, poor schools, crime and the diminishing art scene killed it for me.

Homewood is just fine for my family.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:00 AM

105 posts, read 374,719 times
Default I wouldn't choose neither

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_60611 View Post
My wife and I are looking to buy a home in the area, and had some very specific questions: Which village is better? Which has the better schools, what’s the best preschool, Montessori or other? (Looking for a well defined ethnic mix) Which village offers the most diversity, what are the ethnic makeups? What are the different neighborhoods for these villages, what’s the difference in them (distinctive characteristics), in addition are there any we should avoid (sections/boundaries/cross streets), which ones should we be looking at? Which areas in each of these villages are more prone to flooding? What types of activities are offered (dance, gymnastics, or other), and how diverse are they? Which village has the overall better reputation and value for the money? Have there been any major/minor crimes within the last 6 months, and if so what were they? (I'm sure overall crime is less than Chicago), but all places have crime, what type of crimes happen in these two villages? Lastly, does anyone have any negatives or bad experinces--again I'm looking for recent incidents like last 6 months to a year. Thanks.
You were asking for specific examples:
While sitting at the light at 183rd and Halsted about 6 months ago I witnessed a young man get shot close range in the abdomen. I thought it was a prank because the young man that shot him was so close to him I thought they were together until the offender gets in his car and drives off. And the fact that it was broad daylight 3pm outside in front of everyone driving, walking, etc. It really had me stunned because the entire scenario could have easily turned into a gang shootout as I'm sitting at the light with my 2 daughters in the backseat. I would have never believed that this would happen in Homewood.

I have lived here almost 3 years now and I will say I have seen some drastic negative changes. Lots of hanging out on the corners, at the gas stations, playing ball in the street. What happened to going in your backyard??? and why in heavens name do you think you have just cause to monopolize a street so that you can play basketball. In the last 2 years I see more trash on the street and in the park, more loud obnoxious music that you can hear 2 blocks down the street.

You might want to consider Frankfort (it's pretty diverse) but a bit more expensive. Their taxes are monstrous!!!!
People think Homewood taxes are high?? Frankfort's are 2-3 times higher.

Another example: 3 young men talked on the corner of where my house is and ate candy meanwhile they dropped every single wrapper on the ground with no regard. As I left my driveway I stopped to ask them to pick it up and we talked about respecting the neighborhood. They agreed and picked up the trash.. But why would u do that??

Old 10-06-2009, 12:06 AM

Congratulations on your move to Homewood!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,907,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeltagirl View Post
You were asking for specific examples:
While sitting at the light at 183rd and Halsted about 6 months ago I witnessed a young man get shot close range in the abdomen. I thought it was a prank because the young man that shot him was so close to him I thought they were together until the offender gets in his car and drives off. And the fact that it was broad daylight 3pm outside in front of everyone driving, walking, etc. It really had me stunned because the entire scenario could have easily turned into a gang shootout as I'm sitting at the light with my 2 daughters in the backseat. I would have never believed that this would happen in Homewood.

I have lived here almost 3 years now and I will say I have seen some drastic negative changes. Lots of hanging out on the corners, at the gas stations, playing ball in the street. What happened to going in your backyard??? and why in heavens name do you think you have just cause to monopolize a street so that you can play basketball. In the last 2 years I see more trash on the street and in the park, more loud obnoxious music that you can hear 2 blocks down the street.

You might want to consider Frankfort (it's pretty diverse) but a bit more expensive. Their taxes are monstrous!!!!
People think Homewood taxes are high?? Frankfort's are 2-3 times higher.

Another example: 3 young men talked on the corner of where my house is and ate candy meanwhile they dropped every single wrapper on the ground with no regard. As I left my driveway I stopped to ask them to pick it up and we talked about respecting the neighborhood. They agreed and picked up the trash.. But why would u do that??

What's funny is that you know that you can talk to them to get the trash up, and the problem is solved. What you just complained about is trivial.

The shooting: hard for me to believe because I did not see it on the news, in the newspaper, etc. Any links to info on this?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Default are u serious??

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post

What's funny is that you know that you can talk to them to get the trash up, and the problem is solved. What you just complained about is trivial.

The shooting: hard for me to believe because I did not see it on the news, in the newspaper, etc. Any links to info on this?
Just because something doesn't hit the news you think it didn't happen. Get a clue. Every crime doesn't get tv coverage. If you research about 6 months ago in the suburban newspaper you will find it and YES my friend I sat in my car on 183rd Halsted and witnessed a shooting.
For the record I am an african american woman, married with 2 kids and I don't find it useful or beneficial to make up stories.
The original poster asked for examples, whether trivial to you or not. It matters to me that the streets are littered with food and candy wrappers. I remember when you drove down 187th and it was quiet AND clean. Do you actually live in Homewood??? Have you driven the neighborhood??? Yes, Homewood is nice, compared to............ It is NOT what it used to be.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 AM

The article was posted May 6, 2009. It reads that a Homewood man was shot in a Glenwood eatery (even though) the restaurant is actually in Homewood. The location was at the gyros restaurant on the corner of 183rd and Halsted. Some say Glenwood, some say Homewood.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 PM

7 posts, read 16,829 times
I have some questions regarding the Homewood area. It looks like my husbands job may require us to move (he would be working in Homewood) We currently live an up north state (in a town of 27-28,000 people). I'm very nervous about making such a move. Our public schools are top rated and our class sizes are small for the most part. My kids currently go to catholic school although I'm not sure if it will be affordable where we may have to move (I haven't looked into it much yet)

The most important thing for us is SAFETY and SCHOOLS. We have 3 kids...one in preschool, one in elementary, and one in middle school. We know nothing about any areas other than reading some of your posts and looking at MLS/realty sites.

We come from a town where everybody knows everybody (or is familiar with family names) Most people have deep roots in our town. I guess we have a 95% white population. I only mention that because I do not have any prejeduce regarding race, where I live I've never had a reason to. I notice a lot of you on here have strong opinions where race is concerned.

I'm wondering if I can get some insight as far as best area for a family with kids of all ages and where we can get a house that is somewhat affordable without taxes that will be more than our mortgage payment. Also, I noticed someone else posted something about flooding concerns, is this something we should be concerned about? Any insight about whether it is wise to cross the border and look into Indiana?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs