Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 04:29 AM

26 posts, read 80,616 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to buy a home in the area, and had some very specific questions: Which village is better? Which has the better schools, what’s the best preschool, Montessori or other? (Looking for a well defined ethnic mix) Which village offers the most diversity, what are the ethnic makeups? What are the different neighborhoods for these villages, what’s the difference in them (distinctive characteristics), in addition are there any we should avoid (sections/boundaries/cross streets), which ones should we be looking at? Which areas in each of these villages are more prone to flooding? What types of activities are offered (dance, gymnastics, or other), and how diverse are they? Which village has the overall better reputation and value for the money? Have there been any major/minor crimes within the last 6 months, and if so what were they? (I'm sure overall crime is less than Chicago), but all places have crime, what type of crimes happen in these two villages? Lastly, does anyone have any negatives or bad experinces--again I'm looking for recent incidents like last 6 months to a year. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:33 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
How about Neither? Flossmoor is the better of the two but both towns are surrounded by crap. Seriously, take a ride in Harvey, Chicago Heights, Markham, East Hazel Crest, etc. Cocaine sales, gang activity, broken familiy structures, and poor property upkeep run rampant in both Homewood and Flossmoor's neighboring towns. And you are incorrect, Homewood's neighbors (such as Harvey and Chicago Heights) have much worse crime than the City of Chicago. Ever since they knocked the projects down, the south suburbs have been cemented as a cess pool (for the most part). And cess pool equates to all the things that I mentioned previously when regarding Homewood's neighboring towns. You'd be better off in Olympia Fields.

The schools are going down the crapper. This is proved by both lowered test scores and a greater amount of absentee teenagers.

The good thing that both towns have going for them is their both capable and stern police forces. Oh, and avoid 183rd and Halsted at all costs.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 04-10-2009 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Flossmoor is an extremely beautiful suburb in my opinion. Much nicer homes and better planned than now more popular suburbs west of the interstate (Tinley, Orland, etc.). I agree though that it does have multiple pressures pushing it in the wrong direction. For it to not sink into mediocrity (or worse, though I don't see it becoming a cesspool) it will have to reinvent itself. I don't see it ever retaining the relative prominence and desirability it once had, but it has enough going for it that it can conceivably emerge as a pretty decent town.

One of the key issues is H-F high school. Property taxes are so high there. If the school is as good as it once was, then it makes sense to pay. At1 is correct though that things have really gone downhill with the school. I know this from multiple colleagues whose kids went through the system. It is just a much rougher place every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
How about Neither? Flossmoor is the better of the two but both towns are surrounded by crap. Seriously, take a ride in Harvey, Chicago Heights, Markham, East Hazel Crest, etc. Cocaine sales, gang activity, broken familiy structures, and poor property upkeep run rampant in both Homewood and Flossmoor's neighboring towns. And you are incorrect, Homewood's neighbors (such as Harvey and Chicago Heights) have much worse crime than the City of Chicago. Ever since they knocked the projects down, the south suburbs have been cemented as a cess pool (for the most part). And cess pool equates to all the things that I mentioned previously when regarding Homewood's neighboring towns. You'd be better off in Olympia Fields.

The schools are going down the crapper. This is proved by both lowered test scores and a greater amount of absentee teenagers.

The good thing that both towns have going for them is their both capable and stern police forces. Oh, and avoid 183rd and Halsted at all costs.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I think the labeling of entire areas as "to be avoided" is basically the new redlining, and is a major reason for the segregation we see today. That said, I don't think I'll ever be moving to the South Suburbs. It's a delicate situation. But maybe high gas prices and increased congestion will ulitmately save the inner ring of suburbs.

Once the outer ring of suburbs faces aging housing stock and infrastructure costs that are impossible to budget for year after year, we will see another major shift in demographics in the Chicago area. I think ultimately we will find an equilibrium point where there are better housing and school choices close to the city, but that is decades off.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 AM

That and the fact that there are only so many horrible people to go around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think the labeling of entire areas as "to be avoided" is basically the new redlining, and is a major reason for the segregation we see today. That said, I don't think I'll ever be moving to the South Suburbs. It's a delicate situation. But maybe high gas prices and increased congestion will ulitmately save the inner ring of suburbs.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Instead of ALL suburbs with growing black or hispanic populations "going down the tubes", I think we're likely to see many suburbs that have mixed populations in the future. It just inevitable. There will be a "bad side of town" in many suburbs, and it will be where all of the cheap rental housing is concentrated. It's only when the poverty element gets too strong a foothold that the entire town faces a fate like Harvey or Maywood.

The only suburbs that will escape this are the most expensive ones. This is why River Forest continues to be a wealthy town even thoug many of its neighbors have declined. Places like Hinsdale and Oak Brook are unlikely to see major changes in the near future. The North Shore will remain the most expensive suburban region for decades to come becaus of it's geographic advantages (the lakefront and relative isolation from the worst parts of Chicago).

Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 AM

26 posts, read 80,616 times
Ok, ok I get it--the south suburbs aren't what they used to be . And yes I appreciate all of the feedback I've been getting however, is there anyone online who STILL lives in these areas, and hasn't moved away? I agree every area has its challanges however, it really boils down to how the residents (in conjunction with the police department), handle these issues. That being said I'm still serioulsy looking (more Flossmore than Homewood), at these two areas--can anyway shed light on the specific questions I orginally asked? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_60611 View Post
My wife and I are looking to buy a home in the area, and had some very specific questions: Which village is better? Which has the better schools, what’s the best preschool, Montessori or other? (Looking for a well defined ethnic mix) Which village offers the most diversity, what are the ethnic makeups? What are the different neighborhoods for these villages, what’s the difference in them (distinctive characteristics), in addition are there any we should avoid (sections/boundaries/cross streets), which ones should we be looking at? Which areas in each of these villages are more prone to flooding? What types of activities are offered (dance, gymnastics, or other), and how diverse are they? Which village has the overall better reputation and value for the money? Have there been any major/minor crimes within the last 6 months, and if so what were they? (I'm sure overall crime is less than Chicago), but all places have crime, what type of crimes happen in these two villages? Lastly, does anyone have any negatives or bad experinces--again I'm looking for recent incidents like last 6 months to a year. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 AM

I see where Humboldt is coming from; I just don't think he is being totally honest. I'm pretty laid back about who I hang out with/live near, but even I feel uncomfortable when it's dark and I walk past a small group of male black teenagers, even in a neighborhood with a high average income. They usually aren't doing anything bad and they never say anything to me, but I can't escape my perception that they're mostly screwed up and dangerous.

It's not because they are ghetto black and not buppie blacks, like Humboldt says. It's just because they are black. I have no idea if they are ghetto or not. They all wear the same styles and all act like teenagers. They are almost never doing anything bad.

This is a racist and probably pretty unfair perception. So I guess I'm somewhat racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Ah, it's cut-and-paste Humboldt! It's been awhile. And as usual, pulling stuff out of your behind:

Yes, Flossmoor with its whopping crime rate 116 and its horribly low median income of $107,850 is getting bad. It seems that whatever town is being talked about you have "someone that you know" who lives/lived there that can tell you about it. You must be a popular guy.

I haven't lived in Lansing since mid-November, but from what I know it's still an ok place to live.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I see where Humboldt is coming from; I just don't think he is being totally honest. I'm pretty laid back about who I hang out with/live near, but even I feel uncomfortable when it's dark and I walk past a small group of male black teenagers, even in a neighborhood with a high average income. They usually aren't doing anything bad and they never say anything to me, but I can't escape my perception that they're mostly screwed up and dangerous.

It's not because they are ghetto black and not buppie blacks, like Humboldt says. It's just because they are black. I have no idea if they are ghetto or not. They all wear the same styles and all act like teenagers. They are almost never doing anything bad.

This is a racist and probably pretty unfair perception. So I guess I'm somewhat racist.
what kinds of parents let their teens hang on the streets at night? You know those kids are the product of broken families and are without an activer Father in their life. Odds are a group of blacks will be criminals than any other group of humans. It's just the facts...

Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 AM

In Beverly the starbucks on 103rd and Longwood closes at 10 in the summer. Tons of pretty well-off white teenegers hang out there alone in large groups until closing (without their parents). They don't scare me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
what kinds of parents let their teens hang on the streets at night? You know those kids are the product of broken families and are without an activer Father in their life. Odds are a group of blacks will be criminals than any other group of humans. It's just the facts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs