Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:44 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Hey pass the "doochie" to me when your done puffing it. If it's 40-45 minutes from Arlington Heights to downtown, HOW can it be the same from Gurnee which is farther away?!! Also, if O'Hare is 20-30 minutes from Arlington Heights, how in the h@&& can it be 30 minutes from Gurnee?!! Get real or start basing it on close to speed limit driving instead of 80+ MPH blitzes. Oh and your times are WAAAAAYYY out of line during normal commuting hours. During the day from Willow Rd to Rte 132, it takes me 20-25 minutes. It takes me from Willow rd, down I-294 to Downtown about 35-40 minutes with NO traffic. Do the math. And if there is traffic the ride from Willow/Palatine Rd & I-294 can take 1HR to 1.5HRS in snow or if the expressways are really jammed. And I am only 4 miles west of I-294 off Willow/Palatine Rd AND I subtracted the time to I-294.
Signed, 44 year resident, "Rand McNAlly"

Are you some sort of agitator or something? Actually try some research and some basic math....1st grade level. If its 31 miles from Illinois 132 (mapquest dude) interchange to O'hare terminal 1.... and you average 60 miles per hour---- what does that work out to? ummmm.....30 minutes. And how many times do I have to repeat myself that I'm talking non-peak hours. Get a grip.

Also, I can't believe I have to spell this out for you--- but your freaking Rand Mcnally should show you that O'hare is about 15 miles northwest of down town---this is why Gurnee is closer to O'hare than downtown.....geesh---think before you type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
I may hold you to this

Its all good....but you do have to let me try the jetson space car---how cool would that be? lol

Last edited by lakecountylifer; 04-18-2009 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 12:51 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Are you some sort of agitator or something? Actually try some research and some basic math....1st grade level. If its 31 miles from Illinois 132 (mapquest dude) interchange to O'hare terminal 1.... and you average 60 miles per hour---- what does that work out to? ummmm.....30 minutes. And how many times do I have to repeat myself that I'm talking non-peak hours. Get a grip.

Also, I can't believe I have to spell this out for you--- but your freaking Rand Mcnally should show you that O'hare is about 15 miles northwest of down town---this is why Gurnee is closer to O'hare than downtown.....geesh---think before you type.
The OP made no mention of downtown to O'Hare. Only Arlington Heights to O'Hare, which is a valid point.

Your estimates are shaky at best.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
The OP made no mention of downtown to O'Hare. Only Arlington Heights to O'Hare, which is a valid point.

Your estimates are shaky at best.

Re-read his question....he asked the question of how Gurnee can be closer to O'Hare than it is to down town. Again I say, do the math---argue with the math not your subjective "feeling"......And someone pointed out that they map quested Gurnee to downtown as 46.67 miles---which they must have picked the furthest address north in Gurnee.... but, even at 46.67 miles to downtown---in good traffic driving at 60 miles per hour would get you downtown highway driving at in 46.67 minutes....Minimum amount of interior driving---Gurnee Mills exit to Madison st.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:06 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Re-read his question....he asked the question of how Gurnee can be closer to O'Hare than it is to down town. Again I say, do the math---argue with the math not your subjective "feeling"......And someone pointed out that they map quested Gurnee to downtown as 46.67 miles---which they must have picked the furthest address north in Gurnee.... but, even at 46.67 miles to downtown---in good traffic driving at 60 miles per hour would get you downtown highway driving at in 46.67 minutes....Minimum amount of interior driving---Gurnee Mills exit to Madison st.
Here is the posters statement:

Quote:
Also, if O'Hare is 20-30 minutes from Arlington Heights, how in the h@&& can it be 30 minutes from Gurnee?!!

Old 04-18-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Here is the posters statement:
"Also, if O'Hare is 20-30 minutes from Arlington Heights, how in the h@&& can it be 30 minutes from Gurnee?!!"

Right. And the answer is that if you mapquest Gurnee Mills to O'hare terminal one its 31 miles--99% highway driving---in good traffic....its safe to say you can average 60 miles per hour. 31/60MPH= 31 minutes.

So, that is the answer to the question. THats how the h@&& it can be.

P.S- I have already acnkowledged that if its bad traffic---week day morning or afternoon---etc. all bets are off.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 PM

77 posts, read 300,563 times
Had to jump in on this one. Gurnee to Chicago i not 2 hrs. I live off of Irving Park and it takes me about 45 min to get to the Grand Exit in good traffic both ways. But during rush hour I could def see it being closer to 1 1/2 hrs Just made the drive this morning at 11am and home around 8pm.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBS07 View Post
Had to jump in on this one. Gurnee to Chicago i not 2 hrs. I live off of Irving Park and it takes me about 45 min to get to the Grand Exit in good traffic both ways. But during rush hour I could def see it being closer to 1 1/2 hrs Just made the drive this morning at 11am and home around 8pm.
45 minutes.... and to think it didn't take a George Jetson space car to make that time. I get the feeling there are a lot of Chicago elitists that "feel" Gurnee must be somewhere in southern Wisconsin and "guess" its a two hour drive to the city......

Old 04-20-2009, 07:43 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Well next time I drive from 294 & Willow to Downtown, I will write my time, time of day and traffic level. If I'm off, I will post and re-state my numbers. I am using real time estimates, from doing the drive many times, that include the inevitable traffic slow-down due to the capricious nature of Chicago traffic. I'm not going with my best times. Yes, I have made it from AH to downtown in 35 minutes. Is this normal-NO. Does it always have heavy traffic and take 1.5 hours-NO. But guess what? If I plan on only 35 minutes every day, I will have many missed appointments due to being late. And yes I have made it to O'Hare in 17 minutes record time-driving well above the posted speed limit. However, try doing that going south on 294 after 3PM. It's a parking lot south of Golf Rd. So I am using the back-roads time of 30 minutes to get to O'Hare because it's more REALISTIC. How is it helpful for someone commuting to record, best time scenario in light traffic. What about the slowdown north on 294 around Deerfield rd or Rte22 in the afternoon? If it's not there, it occurs farther north before Gurnee. Or the traffic slow downs going north on 41?!
I am using times with some traffic slow down factored in. Most days you have patterns to the slow areas based on time of day. My numbers are based on my experience, driving the entire region for 29 years in heavy traffic and in light traffic.
And Cubs07, how long does it take to get from Downtown to Irving Park during a typical rush hour? At least 10 minutes, sometimes up to 20 minutes, no? And the 45 minutes, was it clear sailing or did you experience any stop & go traffic?

Last edited by cubssoxfan; 04-20-2009 at 07:54 AM..

Old 04-20-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Well next time I drive from 294 & Willow to Downtown, I will accurately record my time and traffic. I am using real time estimates that include the inevitable traffic slow-down due to the capricious nature of Chicago traffic. I'm not going with my best times. Yes, I have made it from AH to downtown in 35 minutes. Is this normal-NO. Does it always have heavy traffic and take 1.5 hours-NO. But guess what? If I plan on only 35 minutes every day, I will have many missed appointments due to being late. And yes I have made it to O'Hare in 17 minutes record time-driving well above the posted speed limit. However, try doing that going south on 294 after 3PM. It's a parking lot south of Golf Rd. So I am using the back-roads time of 30 minutes to get to O'Hare because it's more REALISTIC. How is it helpful for someone commuting to record, best time scenario in light traffic. What about the slowdown north on 294 around Lake-Cook or Deerfield rd in the afternoon. If it's not there, it occurs farther north before Gurnee. Or the traffic slow downs going north on 41?!
I am using average times with traffic factored in.
And Cubs07, how long does it take to get from Downtown to Irving Park during a typical rush hour? At least 10 minutes, sometimes up to 20 minutes, no?

Fine. Start a post: Worst case traffic scenarios from Gurnee and I'll support you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs