Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:12 AM

4 posts, read 45,227 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I'm moving to Gurnee in the next few month's, and am trying to figure out what the best way to commute to Chicago is. I work basically right downtown, and have never been a fan of the train.

I am new to Gurnee so am not too sure where the train stations are located etc, but does anyone out there have some advice? How long is the train ride? Is the commute really that bad if I wanted to drive?

Any advise appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
Gurnee is a 2 hour drive from downtown at minimum in traffic. The train is probably 90 minutes or slightly longer, but it is easier than driving since no traffic and you can relax. Why are you moving all the way up to Gurnee if you are working in the city?

Gurnee is closer to downtown Milwaukee than Chicago

Old 04-17-2009, 07:31 AM

My husband works works in Milwaukee, and I work in Chicago. We were trying to pick somewhere in between where at least we'd get more house for our money, and also more space (i.e: big yard...) so we ended up there after looking around at various different areas & houses! Thankfully I'll be travelling alot for work so won't always be in the office, but I still find the commute to be a little long. Since i've never taken the train to get to/from work, I was going to try and drive.

I'm trying to figure out what train stations are the closest, how the parking is?!

I'm actually totally new to the Illinois area, so I'm a little scared to move!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:53 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
The Edens is LITERALLY at a standstill right now because of an accident. Gotta love the unpredictability of the expressways.

Metra / Union Pacific District North Line
I don't know about the parking situation, but this is the Metra train you'd be taking... i would guess from the Waukegan stop.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 AM

Metra is so easy. All the stations are park and ride, meaning you park at the station and then ride. It's best to take the train. IF there is a problem on the Edens, you are looking at way over 2 hours each way.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 AM

I definitely would not be looking forward to 2 hours of traffic each way!! I guess the train would be a good option.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to drive close enough to reach one of the metro stops somewhere outside of the city and then just take the subway in? I guess somewhere along the route where the traffic is still ok...just to avoid getting on the train, then the subway...

Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagorette View Post
I definitely would not be looking forward to 2 hours of traffic each way!! I guess the train would be a good option.

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to drive close enough to reach one of the metro stops somewhere outside of the city and then just take the subway in? I guess somewhere along the route where the traffic is still ok...just to avoid getting on the train, then the subway...
Driving to the nearest el stop would probably be over an hour, then probably an additional hour on the el to get to the Loop. Your best option, by far, is to take the Metra. Its a smooth, pleasant, stress-free ride.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:41 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
You could be riding either the Milwaukee North, the North Central or the Union Pacific North line into downtown depending on the parking situation, and which part of Gurnee you'll be residing in. I'm thinking the Grayslake or Prairie Crossing stops on the Milwaukee North are options, as well as Lake Bluff on the Union Pacific North line (decent amount of parking available here) if you're living in eastern Gurnee closer to Highway 41.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagorette View Post
Hi all

I'm moving to Gurnee in the next few month's, and am trying to figure out what the best way to commute to Chicago is. I work basically right downtown, and have never been a fan of the train.

I am new to Gurnee so am not too sure where the train stations are located etc, but does anyone out there have some advice? How long is the train ride? Is the commute really that bad if I wanted to drive?

Any advise appreciated!

Thanks

Old 04-17-2009, 07:58 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,869 times
Ok, lots of inaccuracies and generalizations here. First, Gurnee is not closer to Milwaukee than Chicago. Chicago is appx. 40 miles to the south and Milwaukee is 50 miles to the north. In good traffic, you can make the drive downtown is 45 minutes. That said, if your going to drive in during peak rush hours, you probably want to take Metra.

The closest Metra station is Prairie Crossing. Prairie Crossing actually has two stations in the parking lot---one for the Milwaukee North Line (Fox Lake-Union Station) and one for the North Central line (Antioch-Union Station). Prairie Crossing to downtown is a 1:08 minute to 1:16 minute ride in depending on the train you take.

I do have a neighbor that makes the Gurnee - Chicago commute each day via Metra and never complains. That said, many, if not the majority of people in Gurnee work for Abbott, Baxter, Cardinal Health and Motorola, all based in the area here, so typically most residents have under a 30 minute commute to work. Second to that Uline has explosive growth, Wal-Greens Corporate, Hewitt, CDW, etc. etc. etc. are all based in the area.

You'll like Gurnee. You can get a house here that would cost you $550K in Deerfield-Northbrook for about $300K and less than 20 years old (if that). People are not as uptight super-competitive as they are on the north shore. There are great parks, the Des Plaines River Trail-Independence Grove, good schools (Woodland is better than Gurnee 56) and lots of things to do (though most people in town stay away from Gurnee Mills). You can get a Season Pass to Six Flags and take your kids every night after work if you want.

If I were you, I would ask to tele-commute a couple of days a week or look at driving in after 9 am or go in super early like arrive for 6 am. Good Luck.....

Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 PM

There is no possible way to make the trip from Gurnee to the Loop driving in 45 minutes unless you have the George Jetson aerocar. Gurnee does have great home values and a good mall. If you like roller coasters that's an added bonus with Six Flags there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs