Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I always took that to characterize a certain type of North Shore resident -- they view Evanston as slumming it.
Funny observation... Evanston does have a couple of slightly slummy areas (I won't call them outright slums), but I doubt this woman lived anywhere near them! And I wonder how long they will hold out with the rampant gentrification in Evanston. Probably longer now with the real estate meltdown...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 01:45 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Funny observation... Evanston does have a couple of slightly slummy areas (I won't call them outright slums), but I doubt this woman lived anywhere near them! And I wonder how long they will hold out with the rampant gentrification in Evanston. Probably longer now with the real estate meltdown...
Now let's put that gentrification into context. This is 2009. Peripheral real estate is losing its cache. Closer to the core, already desirable in a lifestyle sense, now takes on practical, economic, pure nuts and bolts desirability.

Real estate is about location, location, location and if Evanston had it before in considerable amounts, it is not practically bursting with it. It is not only on the North Shore, smack dab next to Chicago, but its transit infrastructure couldn't be better to get you into the city that will, once again, be the true economic engine of a Chicagoland far less dependent on cars and spread out jobs.

Anyone who looks to the future has to see that betting on Evanston is a fairly sure thing. And the areas to the west side of Evanston in question will unquestionably be debated as a prime site for expansion of CTA service by reopening the old North Shore station on the yellow line at Dodge. Kid is right that the economic melt down puts all this on hold. But it is that very meltdown and the causes that have created with that, when the hold is off, will pump inexpensive property to be developed as its value becomes more and more apparent to the market. Doing so in a socially responsible way will be the real challenge, very much like Chicago's well known struggle to do the very same thing in the Cabrini Green area today.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Now let's put that gentrification into context. This is 2009. Peripheral real estate is losing its cache. Closer to the core, already desirable in a lifestyle sense, now takes on practical, economic, pure nuts and bolts desirability.

Real estate is about location, location, location and if Evanston had it before in considerable amounts, it is not practically bursting with it. It is not only on the North Shore, smack dab next to Chicago, but its transit infrastructure couldn't be better to get you into the city that will, once again, be the true economic engine of a Chicagoland far less dependent on cars and spread out jobs.

Anyone who looks to the future has to see that betting on Evanston is a fairly sure thing. And the areas to the west side of Evanston in question will unquestionably be debated as a prime site for expansion of CTA service by reopening the old North Shore station on the yellow line at Dodge. Kid is right that the economic melt down puts all this on hold. But it is that very meltdown and the causes that have created with that, when the hold is off, will pump inexpensive property to be developed as its value becomes more and more apparent to the market. Doing so in a socially responsible way will be the real challenge, very much like Chicago's well known struggle to do the very same thing in the Cabrini Green area today.
Oh, I agree that Evanston's long-term prospects are rosy. It's a great town!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
Quote:
I always took that to characterize a certain type of North Shore resident -- they view Evanston as slumming it.
Nah, my childhood town of Skokie was the "other side of the tracks", the "armpit" of the North Shore
When taking the entire town into account Skokie is the "low-rent" district, even though Evanston has some areas that are "slummier"-by "North Shore standards".
Now when looking through a broader perspective, Skokie is decent to nice.
Ford Heights is truly slumming it.
Oh and back to original question, yes Evanston is definitely part of the North Shore. I define North Shore as any town north of Chicago and having areas east of the Edens and adding Glenview and Northbrook. Others may say east of Waukegan Rd. or even east of Green Bay Rd./Ridge Blvd.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:39 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
I completely resonated with evanston. It was an awesome place to live. Was dead-set on moving there but it was just too far from the things I need to be near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Oh, I agree that Evanston's long-term prospects are rosy. It's a great town!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
Evanston is a great blend of urban and suburban. Def. one of the top cities in Chicagoland!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:25 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
It's barely North Shore. If I could live in the North Shore suburbs, it would be Evanston.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,319 times
Evanston is very North Shore and people really should stop pushing the "diversity" characterization because we all know (at least folks that know Evanston) that it is more segregated than the City of Chicago. In Evanston you'll rarely find African-Americans and Hispanics living side by side with Whites and Asians in the affluent areas to the southeast, central, north, and northwest parts of town. Wealthy Evanstonians typically partake in the same activities that wealthy Winnetkans do. Many Evanstonians are members of the Kenilworth Club and golf at Westmoreland, etc. In that sense Evanston does have a connection to those other North Shore communities. You also must not forget that Evanston does have governmental relationships with other North Shore communities. (1/5 of Skokie has Evanston schools, Wilmette and Evanston share Fire Department staff and resources, all of the North Shore communities have a single library network, and I'm sure there are other relationships that I haven't mentioned.) I think if you study Highland Park and Highwood you'll find many similarities with Evanston.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM

86 posts, read 312,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Evanston can actually be seen this way, with part being itself and parts sharing traits with three neighboring communities:

Central Evanston, the lakefront and NU: Pure Evanston

North Evanston: very much like Wilmette in the size of homes that grow bigger when one goes up the North Shore from these first two towns

West Evanston: Skokie like in post WWII tract homes, many with little architectural distinction from each other or even having architecture in the first place

South Evanston: two and three flats are an extension of Chicago
Very well said.

South: you could also add row-upon-row of 4-story 1920s brick walkups in the south beach area as an extension of chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs