Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:37 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,047,816 times

Advertisements

To me some people's lists are useless, others are informative. The people who obviously have no idea what they're talking about are easy to spot and filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Yeah, that's one word for it. "Ridiculous" is what I call it. In what world do Oak Park, Lansing, Lockport, and Berwyn make a "worst list" and suburbs like Chicago Heights, Maywood, and Riverdale don't? That's why I think these lists are useless.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:37 AM

945 posts, read 1,981,766 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
To me some people's lists are useless, others are informative. The people who obviously have no idea what they're talking about are easy to spot and filter.
Are we to assume that the OP knows what he's talking about? I am always perplexed as to why ANYONE would put Naperville in the same catagory as the other four north shore burbs on his list. Naperville is absolutely no comparison or anywhere near the communities as places like Lake Forest, etc., are.

Naperville belongs with comparisons such as St. Charles, Geneva, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, etc... and is still "much bigger" than all of these. At least these other 4 I mention are comparible by size alone. The OP left out towns like Hinsdale, LaGrange, Burridge, etc and put Naperville? I don't get it. And the most interesting note- Aurora made a "worst list" more than once and it's Naperville's direct neighbor, where some parts blend and your not sure which town you are in. Just ask "White Eagle" subdivision if they like having an Auroroa address. Aurora and Naperville even share the same school system in many parts. Just a thought. As to the rest of the lists? Many good additions and glad to see I wasn't the only one who didn't think Naperville should be included. It's a nice place to live (they say) but it can't compare to the old north shore, timeless communities, as listed!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:11 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,898,739 times
I have a brother who lives in Naperville, and have visited the area a lot. I've also called on accounts in the Chicagoland area for a number of years. Although Naperville and Aurora are neighbors, and parts of Aurora are very nice, it has a "gritty" side that you don't find in Naperville. Their downtown areas are completely different - I do think Naperville is a lot nicer overall than Aurora, but Aurora has nice parts.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:21 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,047,816 times
The fact that Naperville borders Aurora is completely irrelevant in my view. I agree though that calling it prestigious is a major stretch. It strikes me as sort of nouveau middle and upper-middle class. Very nice town, though, and in many ways more desirable than more prestigious places.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,347,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
The fact that Naperville borders Aurora is completely irrelevant in my view..
agreed- Oak Park borders the westside, and Riverforest borders Maywood (with the exception of the Des Plaines River)

Old 05-28-2009, 02:36 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times
Well I ran the numbers and the most votes goes to:

Winnetka 13
Hinsdale 13
Lake Forest 13
Kenilworth 11
Highland Park 10
Glencoe 8
Wilmette 8
Barrington Hills 7
Lake Bluff 4
Oak Brook 4

So after 8 pages we determined that Winnetka, Hinsdale, Lake Forest, Kenilworth and Highland park are Chicago's Most Prestigious Suburbs. Just Curious Northbrook was never mentioned.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:52 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,994,729 times
The most first places votes goes to
Kenilworth and Hinsdale

Old 05-28-2009, 04:41 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,392,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Well I ran the numbers and the most votes goes to:

Winnetka 13
Hinsdale 13
Lake Forest 13
Kenilworth 11
Highland Park 10
Glencoe 8
Wilmette 8
Barrington Hills 7
Lake Bluff 4
Oak Brook 4

So after 8 pages we determined that Winnetka, Hinsdale, Lake Forest, Kenilworth and Highland park are Chicago's Most Prestigious Suburbs. Just Curious Northbrook was never mentioned.
Interesting how the term "top" evolved into "most prestigious" as the thread progressed. I suppose that's one way to define the term, though some are deciding that living in these types of communities may not be all it's cracked up to be. . .

Is Living in a High-End Suburb Worth It?

Even residents of upscale suburbs are asking if they wouldn't be better off living somewhere with lower taxes and cost-of-living expenses

By Prashant Gopal

The economic downturn, after ravaging poor and middle-class neighborhoods, is now hammering affluent enclaves. Even in the nation's priciest neighborhoods, homeowners are facing economic uncertainties, and some are beginning to wonder whether they're paying too much for prestige.

The cost of living in Atherton, Calif., Highland Park, Tex., or Scarsdale, N.Y., goes well beyond what it costs to purchase a home there. Mansions in high-end communities have oversize tax, maintenance, utility, and mortgage bills. And then there's the cost of keeping up with the Joneses: shopping at boutiques and gourmet stores, country club memberships, private school tuition, soccer for the kids, the gardener, the landscaper, and the nanny.

Is Living in a High-End Suburb Worth It? - BusinessWeek

Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,635,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Are you serious? Where's Cicero on this list- I mean the western part of Evanston is worse than eastern Oak Park anyday
I'm glad he edited his list. Eastern Oak Park is actually pretty nice, and only has a marginal crime increase over the rest of Oak Park (unless you're RIGHT ON Austin Avenue). And yeah, western Evanston (in the south and central areas--not the north) is MUCH worse.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 PM

863 posts, read 2,774,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Bottom
1.) Harvey
2.) Maywood
3.) Calumet City
4.) Bellwood
5.) Ford Heights
6.) Robbins
7.) Lansing
8.) Joliet
9.) Chicago Heights
10.) Cicero

Skye,

Lansing is not the worst, but it is certainly not the best either.
So you're going to tell me that Lansing is worse than Riverdale, Dolton, Hazelcrest, Phoenix, Posen et.al? That tells me that you really don't know much about the south suburbs and, again, you add Lansing out of spite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs