Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 AM

5 posts, read 9,752 times

Advertisements

Greetings! My husband just got hired as a teacher at DePaul U., and we're moving in August. We are currently in Kansas City, MO. I can't get up there for a while yet to do house hunting. I know I need to narrow down my search a bit before I get there, though, and this forum looks like it could be helpful.

What we're looking for: a long-term (up to five years) rental, 4+ bedrooms, 2+ baths, dogs & cats must be OK, parking for at least one vehicle, near a greenbelt or park or other green space, walking distance to commuter train (he's willing to do a 30-45 minute commute if need be). We can go up to $1,600/mo.

Due to the size of our family and pets, we've only been in single family housing so far, but I'm willing to hear other options if they're within other constraints.

I've lived longest and most happily in Davis, California (a college community and suburb of Sacramento). We home-school our kids, so schools are not important, but easy access to libraries and open space is. A bike trail would be awesome!

We'd love to be in a neighborhood with a friendly coffee shop, bookstore, café or diner, community center with pool, community gardens, farmers' market. Austrian pastry or a good greasy spoon would be a huge bonus!

I'm not terrified of crime... we currently live in an area where I don't have the teenager walk around at night due to muggings, and we've had our license plates swiped. I know there's an element of balance... you want access to urban conveniences, you put up with some urban disadvantages. That said, we're not looking to be near bars or nightclubs, a high school, etc. We're not looking for trouble, either.

I would rather be in a busy, friendly neighborhood with fewer families than a suburb where everyone disappears and the street is a ghost town from 8 to 5.

We appreciate old houses and don't mind living in a place with some dings and quirks, but we're not against newer homes, either. We're kinda artsy and nerdy... we'd love to live amongst other computer and gamer geeks, bright colors and sculptures, murals and flowers.

Thank you so much for any info you're willing to share!

ETA: I wasn't sure whether to list this in Chicago or Chicago Suburbs... let me know if I should be posting elsewhere!

Last edited by mamagotcha; 05-04-2009 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 AM

158 posts, read 379,149 times
Have you looked into Evanston at all?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:13 AM

Yes, that name has come up in conversation, and is thusly included in our to-visit list. Are there any areas within Evanston you'd recommend?

Old 05-04-2009, 04:07 PM

198 posts, read 821,935 times
My husband works in Evanston and in the heart of the city a 4 bedroom will be difficult under 1600, especially taking animals (don't be surprised if many places have pet count and weight limits) but less difficult in other parts. Not impossible if you are willing to compromise down to 3 bedrooms. I agree that you should probably stay close to the city limits since DePaul is mainly accessed by L - the Evanston L does allow for a switch at Belmont to the red line which stops at DePaul. The DePaul area would be difficult too but there's a 3 bedroom listed right now on the MLS for 1500/month that usually rents for 1800. The broker I work for lives in Lincoln Park very close to DePaul but rented cheaply (saving money for her eventual home) by living in West Rogers Park where the apartments are huge by Lincoln Park standards and often have tandem rooms and sun porches that can be converted to 4th bedrooms. She's a runner and felt comfortable doing so solo in those areas. The area of the city south of Northeastern University east of the expressway is also an area where you could find rehabbed condos in your price range with lots of upgrades and even in-unit washer/dryers but these newly rehabbed buildings typically stop at 3 bedrooms close to the Brown L. I know that there's a single family home on the rental market right now in the area by Rosehill Cemetary east of NorthEastern and just north of the very popular Lincoln Square which is an area that has everything you mentioned you wanted. I only know of one 3 bedroom coach house on the market in the heart of that area in your price range. There are lots of forest preserves on the northwest side of the city and if you live close enough to the lake you won't beat the view from that bike train anywhere. The northern sections of the city will provide a much quicker commute. Also I would recommend looking for a single family rental in Portage Park or Jefferson Park where you could take a bus to the Red Line. Again, the 4 bedrooms will be a challenge more than the pet issue in your price range.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 PM

374 posts, read 1,035,942 times
In the City, look at Lincoln Square, North Center, and Andersonville. All three are very family friendly neighborhoods withh the type of amenities you describe. You most likely will have to go up in price. Also check out Old Irving (Six Corners) and the surrounding areas, like Independence Park. Very family friendly with a great Y and parks. Also tons of families. In the suburbs, check out Evanston, Oak Park, Lincolnwood (great pool), Skokie (great pool) and Park Ridge.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,256,307 times
Good Chicago neighborhoods mentioned, but what about school quality for the kids?!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 PM

Thank you, everyone!

I said $1600 because that's 30% of our income and we have three kids in college, two of them still at home, plus a $200/mo. car payment (not sure how I could gather groceries for this crew without a vehicle). Unfortunately I'm a journalist and newspaper editor; I hold no romantic notions of being able to find a job that's worth more than the cost of childcare for my youngest.

We're in a 3/1 less than 1 mile from where my husband works, for $800/mo. I knew it would be more expensive in Chicago, but apparently it's significantly worse than I thought. Thank you for the wake-up call... I've got a grail to find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Good Chicago neighborhoods mentioned, but what about school quality for the kids?!
We homeschool, so that's not an issue.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 PM

19 posts, read 44,271 times
Default DePaul and Chicago neighborhoods

First thing, be aware that DePaul has multiple campuses, there's no guarantee that a given course will be offered downtown or in Lincoln Park. Your husband could find himself commuting to Naperville or Rolling Meadows. Perfectly doable in any event, but some neighborhoods make for an easier trip than others. For instance, Evanston, a great place for a Californian to feel comfortable, makes for a miserable ride to Naperville.

That said, there are a couple of neighborhoods on the far northwest side of Chicago, Edison Park and North Edgebrook, that would meet the bulk of your criteria. Say, the intersection of Touhy and Harlem, plus or minus. Not as densely populated as some urban areas, both neighborhoods have high-quality houses. The current market slump has resulted in a number of places lingering unsold; possibly the owners would consider taking on a stable tenant. Not a lot of night life, but Northwest Highway does have a number of neighborhoody but high quality restaurants. And on Touhy Avenue, there are some storefront restaurants, and a classic Chicago Greek burger and gyros place, Papa Chris.

For a neighborhood center, there is the Leaning Tower YMCA. Hotel, two pools, exercise and weight rooms, Zoomba and pilates classes, you name it. Notably, there is a half-size replica of the Leaning Tower of Pisa out front.

The North Branch bike path is conveniently located in the Forest Preserves along the Chicago River. It continues northward from there about as far as you would care to pedal.

Crime rates there are extremely low. BTW, you can check out reported crimes across the city using a nicely constructed web app:
http://gis.chicagopolice.org

No Austrian pastry shops, sorry. But there are a few Polish bakeries, a great German butcher shop, and a nice Italian deli nearby.

More to your immediate concerns: from that area, all DePaul locations are reachable in 45 minutes.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your move to Chicago.

Last edited by tcubed; 05-04-2009 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: URL did not show

Old 05-05-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcubed View Post
First thing, be aware that DePaul has multiple campuses, there's no guarantee that a given course will be offered downtown or in Lincoln Park. Your husband could find himself commuting to Naperville or Rolling Meadows.
I'd be pretty surprised if this happened... he's in the new biology building, and I doubt they'd have him teach far away from either his own research lab, or from the student lab resources. As far as we've been told, all his teaching duties will take place at the Lincoln Park campus.

Thank you for all the great info! I'm looking forward to visiting the area and checking out these names you all have mentioned.

Last edited by mamagotcha; 05-05-2009 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: goofy syntax error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs