Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 11,290 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are a military family coming to Schaumburg from San Diego mid March. My husband is being transferred out there for recruiting duty. I have been on the internet searching since we found out but there is a TON I still need to know / figure out. We have found some good rental property and would really rather have a house then an apartment / condo. We have three boys. Two are in school and the other I will need to find good daycare for. I was wondering if someone could tell me the large companies in the are that I might be able to apply for a job at as well as what exact areas of Schaumburg are better than other if at all? There is a house I am interested in off of Schaumburg Rd and Springinsguth Rd. Is that a good area? We are totally coming in blind with not much time... any suggestions or help would be appreciated very much! How about Palatine? Is that a good area as well? What other burbs around there without to far of a commute (15 -20 mins)do your reccomend? Thank You so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 AM

921 posts, read 1,095,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeleon8478 View Post
Hi. We are a military family coming to Schaumburg from San Diego mid March. My husband is being transferred out there for recruiting duty. I have been on the internet searching since we found out but there is a TON I still need to know / figure out. We have found some good rental property and would really rather have a house then an apartment / condo. We have three boys. Two are in school and the other I will need to find good daycare for. I was wondering if someone could tell me the large companies in the are that I might be able to apply for a job at as well as what exact areas of Schaumburg are better than other if at all? There is a house I am interested in off of Schaumburg Rd and Springinsguth Rd. Is that a good area? We are totally coming in blind with not much time... any suggestions or help would be appreciated very much! How about Palatine? Is that a good area as well? What other burbs around there without to far of a commute (15 -20 mins)do your reccomend? Thank You so much!!
What is your rental budget?
Are you looking for 2/3/4 bedrooms house?
Good schools?
Please provide more information.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:58 AM

Of course I am looking for a good school. We would like a 3 or 4 bedroom house to rent. Our budget would be about 1800.00. We really just need to know good areas vs. bad areas and if all of Schaumburg is okay ecspecially the area I listed off of Schaumburg Dr. and Springinguth Rd. Do you know that area?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 AM

921 posts, read 1,095,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeleon8478 View Post
Of course I am looking for a good school. We would like a 3 or 4 bedroom house to rent. Our budget would be about 1800.00. We really just need to know good areas vs. bad areas and if all of Schaumburg is okay ecspecially the area I listed off of Schaumburg Dr. and Springinguth Rd. Do you know that area?
I am not too familiar with that area, but overall Schaumburg is a good place to live in.
I will however recommend Arlington Heights and Mount Prospect, they both have excelent school districts and are only a short commute to Schaumburg.
Again, your choices will be very limited with your rental budget for that area.
I only found a few in that price range.
Arlington Heights, IL 60004 $1,650 Bedrooms: 3 Full Bath: 2 Partial Bath: 1

Arlington Heights, IL 60004 $1,800 Bedrooms: 4 Full Bath: 2 Partial Bath: 1

Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM

thank you I appreciate it.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM

180 posts, read 378,440 times
A beautiful place like San Diego to Schaumburg? Ouch. Better get your fill of scenery & beautiful weather now while you still can.

Schaumburg Rd./Springinsguth Rd. is an OK area. Typical suburbia. Schaumburg is like one giant mall. Strip malls, mini malls, mega malls, etc.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,359 times
Schaumburg it the primary hub of all shopping, dining, and activity northwest of Chicago. Because of that, it has its share of traffic woes, but by living in town you avoid most of the headaches others have trying to get into/out-of Schaumburg, and can get anywhere quickly being so close to I90 and 53/I290.

It is the largest employer in Illinois after Chicago. It is as culturally lacking as any other Chicago suburb, but does have some fine gems like Spring Valley Nature Center and the Schaumburg Library (largest library outside Chicago). There are many large forest preserves nearby.

Its residents span from low income to upper middle class, with a solid middle class base. Housing reflects this. Single-family homes range from ~$200K to $1M, with an average just over ~$300K. Best places to live are on the NE side, nearer to the Woodfield retail/dining area, library, and preserves; hence, home prices are higher east of Roselle Road.

Nearby (southern) Palatine is also nice, but it's more of a bedroom community and is otherwise attractive mostly due to its proximity to Schaumburg.

Other nearby communities such as Arlington Heights, Barrington, Des Plaines, Elk Grove, Hoffman Estates, Rolling Meadows, Roselle are options though you'd be better served by staying in Schaumburg to be closer to everything. Streamwood and Hanover Park, for the most part, are not recommended.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:50 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,613 times
Hi, I live in the Weathersfield subdivision off Schaumburg and Springinsguth. I am also a Navy veteran so I know what it's like to go to a place you aren't familiar with.

It is a safe area, the schools are above average and there are no discipline problems in my son's school (Campanelli).

The homes are a mixture of mostly older homes (1960s-1980s) in this subdivsiion, sprinkled with newer homes which were built in the past few years. It's a pretty quiet area because it's about 5 miles west of the mall. I don't find the streets that busy, but I go to work at off times since I work in a hospital.

I would also look in Elk Grove Village which feeds into the Schaumburg school system and has one of the better high schools in the area (J.B. Conant). EG is about 3.5 miles east of Schaumburg/Springinsguth Rds. Here are some links to some homes in EG with the good school districts. The one in New York Lane is in a beautiful subdivsion with a lot of families and has a great free water park in the summer (Fountain Square). If you need any more info, feel free to send me a private message.

402 New York Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL, 60007 - MLS #07373723 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/402-New-York-Lane_Elk-Grove-Village_IL_60007_1113910842 - broken link)

Old 01-26-2010, 04:08 PM

Thank you all so much for all of the great feedback. When I get home tonight we will definately sit down and take a look online at all of the places you have recomended for us. This is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs