U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,905 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are planning to move to Chicago. My husbands work would be at Elgin, and mine at Buffalo Grove.

Here is what we are looking for:

1. Short commute for both of us ( <30 mins. If possible, I would prefer taking the Metra?)

2. Very Good school district

3. House in the range of 600K in a safe/cosmopolitan neighborhood

4. Good Montessori School/ Day Care close to either our future residence or close to my work at buffalo grove.

Please advise on the possible neighborhoods that we should be looking at.

Also, any information/review on the daycares that would suit our locations would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 12:06 AM

28,460 posts, read 80,799,966 times
You probably can't get everything you want.

My top choice based on commute and school quality would probably be towns served by either Stevenson High or Barrington High.

You won't find your dollar goes far in those towns, but there are some good options under >$600K.

I don't know that I would characterize most of those towns in the districts as 'cosmopolitan' but they are VERY safe and there are good to excellent day care choices.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 AM

4,722 posts, read 14,933,370 times
I live in the Barrington area and my kids went to Montessori thru kindegarten. We have a wonderful,safe community with many activities and very good schools. It would be an easy commute for both of you. There is also a Montessori in Long Grove that goes up to grade 6 I believe. Long Grove borders Buffalo Grove.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:34 AM

4,722 posts, read 14,933,370 times
I should add that my kids went to Barringtons Montessori school. There are two here. We went thru grade/middle/high schools in Barrington and we can honestly say, no complaints. Good education, good prep for college.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 AM

5,479 posts, read 11,568,659 times
Arlington Heights is worth considering. You will do a "reverse commute" to Elgin and the drive will be 30-45 minutes depending where in AH and Elgin you are. Arlington Heights to Buffalo Grove is 10-30 minutes again, depending where in AH you are. Schools are very good to excellent, as are the Park Districts and Library. Arlington Heights has a vibrant(for the suburbs) downtown with restaurants, shops, movie thaeter and live theater. It has a mix of homes, some built 100 years ago, to new construction and everything in between. It is an established community so there are many mature trees and lush greenery EVERYWHERE. Buffalo Grove is also a good choice, but puts you farther from Elgin. The previous posters have suggested some very nice areas as well.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:09 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,647,036 times
Schaumburg could work as well. It's easy to get to a lot of places, including the city from Schaumburg. You'd hop on 90 for Elgin and 53 for BG. Depending on where in Buffalo Grove you work, Arlington Hts might be better. Is one of you going to be primarily responsible for kid/school stuff, i.e. picking up the kid if they get sick during the day or need to go to the dr? Maybe you should live closer to that person's work.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,524 times
Default Buffalo Grove to Barrington via Lake-Cook Road

The reason nobody is mentioning Metra is that it is not practical for the cities that have been mentioned. The Buffalo Grove station is on the Metra North-Central line. This line runs SE from Buffalo Grove thru Wheeling--past O'Hare airport and ends in downtown Chicago. Going NW it goes to Vernon Hills, Mundelein, Grayslake which are too far North to be practical for you. (Elgin has a different Metra line that runs West into Chicago.
I get the feeling that you may want the residence and school closer to Buffalo Grove than to Elgin...as the mention of the Metra usually means that someone is not too keen on driving around much in rush hours and on days with lots of snow...

Last edited by rc60015; 05-17-2009 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Disregard mention of Barrington.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 AM

16 posts, read 56,772 times
I have heard that housing is very affordable in Elgin and just was at this open house event there (why not? when they give you a $50 gift card for your time?) and it looked like you get a lot more for your money with houses there. The prices were about 1/2 what you would pay in Schaumburg and the drive to Buffalo Grove isn't too bad from there.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:39 PM

5,479 posts, read 11,568,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWeekendFun View Post
I have heard that housing is very affordable in Elgin and just was at this open house event there (why not? when they give you a $50 gift card for your time?) and it looked like you get a lot more for your money with houses there. The prices were about 1/2 what you would pay in Schaumburg and the drive to Buffalo Grove isn't too bad from there.
Look at requirement #2 in OP.
I do not consider Elgin schools very good!

Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,647,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWeekendFun View Post

Cubsoxfan, I think it's pretty likely this person works for the builder or is some other interested party. They posted almost the exact same thing in another thread that they resurrected for the purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs