Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 10,191 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the SW burbs (Evergreen Park), as did my wife. We moved out of state and are currently moving back, however, we are looking for a better community to raise a family. Kind of got the list down to these two, but alway seeking more advice. Any thoughts on which community would be a better place to raise a family Tinley Park or Naperville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:56 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,921,999 times
Tinley Park has some high quality construction at very affordable prices.

Naperville is a far more established community.

There are trade-offs that some people find acceptable, especially if they do not need /want the express train service of BNSF or downtown shopping/ dining/ entertainment of Naperville with Riverwalk, Centennial Beach, North Central College Campus, the carillon concerts, the RibFest, Edwards Hospital, a well maintained Historic District, the high performing schools, the relative predicatability of DuPage politics / taxes, broad range of nearby employment opportunities...

Don't get me wrong, I think Tinley Park is the perfect choice for some, and Naperville has lots of people among its 150,00 that really do not care about the stuff I listed, but there are LOTS of obvious differences and right now not a whole lot of similarities. That may change OR they may drift further apart...

Old 05-26-2009, 01:42 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,045,329 times
All else equal it's Naperville -- not even close. Factor in price or location relative to your work, etc. and the gap might narrow, but Naperville is an awfully prosperous and family-friendly place these days.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 PM

10 posts, read 35,518 times
I've been here in Tinley Park for over 15 years and love it. Granted we are as far south as you can go without hitting the boonies, lol. But its a wonderful friendly town. We have kids in school and it has been wonderful. I feel they are getting a good education. I truly enjoy the school and its staff. My guys are doing well in class and I follow every move made, I'm a tough mom, lol. They are my top priority. Luckily for us, our home is located within walking distance of elementary, middle and high school which is so nice. I can drive them on rainy days or walk with them to school only a few blocks. We do a lot of things within our community. Free summertime bands on the weekends in our downtown area. There have been a lot of building and improvements in our downtown area and its growing quite nicely. The newer train station and many great restaurants as well, ice shoppe, candy store etc. They have plans that are in the works for more stores, condos and buildings downtown. Its very nice now but will be better once all is complete. They have music in the park, summertime movies in the park, farmers market on saturdays. We have a very nice new library with many, many great programs for the kids, teens and adults as well. I have done them for years. There is a newer community pool and waterpark with lazy river and slides. Plenty of activites going on year round. Halloween happenings during October and then in the winter the town provides free sleigh rides on weekends downtown tinley as well as a nightime Christmas light parade and free photos with Santa. We always have something to do.
We have been considering a move more north due to my husbands recent change in jobs. We so do not want to leave here but his commute is rather long. We did for a while look at Naperville prior to his new job as it was the happening "place to live" I know they have a TON of things to offer as a community however I did not feel quite homey there. Very congested is what I felt and it was much more expensive. For us to buy a house there and sell our house, we would get less of a house in naperville, dollar for dollar. But I do hear its a great place to live and they have top rated schools. Now with the economy, prices are down and foreclosures are up so you might get a GREAT DEAL on something.

Hope this helps. Don't have much to offer on Naperville but if you have Tinley questions, please let me know!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:30 PM

137 posts, read 547,225 times
Well, I vote for Naperville. I am slightly biased as I live here.

I'm sure Tinley Park is a lovely community, and I have been to visit on a number of occasions. I've attended concerts there, hockey games and ice skating competitions, which tells me there are things to do. It is pretty far south, but appears to have some nice housing stock.

When it comes to things to do though - it's hard to beat Naperville - especially for a family. There's a little something for everyone. Centennial Beach offers lazy days of summer at the beach. You can spend the day. Bring a picnic and cook out on the grills or buy your food there. Concerts at the bandshell and the labirynth, and carillon. Economical play productions and musical concerts by the numerous high schools - some of Emmy winning fame. North Central College also offers productions at the the new Wentz hall. If gardening is your thing - there's the garden plots that can be rented from the Park District. Any sport imaginable is available probably both at the competitive level and the house level. Festivals and Art shows, the train with Santa, the list goes on. All this in addition to top level schools. Also, it's not just about the kids - great dining and shopping, wine festival and more.

If you're looking for more specific answers simply ask and I will answer. Love Naperville!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:34 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,624,552 times
Naperville.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,552,933 times
Naperville, for all the reasons given and as an investment in housing. It is a very sought after community. I also like the neighboring towns much better then around TP. You are an easy drive to Geneva,St Charles, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton etc.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,976 times
Default Tinley Park vs Naperville

All things being equal? They are both wonderful towns but housing in Naperville is much, much, much, much more expensive. Did I say much?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 AM

82 posts, read 254,331 times
Naperville is one of the best places in the country to raise your children modestly. Go there.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,485,803 times
You can't compare the two. Palos Park to Naperville or the western side of Orland Park to Naperville maybe, but come on Tinley Park to Naperville? Why not compare Joliet to Winnetka while we're at it? Sure Tinley is nice and a great place to raise a family, but it is NO where near as rich as Naperville. And I need to emphasize NO WHERE. Tinley is mostly younger blue collar families with incomes averaging around $60K-$85K a year while Naperville is more white collar workers with incomes ranging on average from $85K and up. Both are nice towns, but if you are looking for more upscale then compare Naperville to Palos Park or Orland Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs