Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 16,425 times

Advertisements

I live in the Weslake subdivision, I love it here but the traffic IS terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,661 times
Thumbs up romeoville not half bad

Romeoville is not a bad place to live. I have lived here for 35 years and do not plan on going anywhere anytime soon. The traffic on Weber Road is bad and I live up in Wesglen we just do not take Weber road we take Taylor out to 53 and then take 53 to joliet road to 55. It saves time a traffic on 53 is not usually to bad. The schools are not taht bad either. I would say no matter what the schools are like if your child wants to learn they will. I think that parents need to start taking some responsiblity for how well the schools are or not. There are alot of parents that do not make sure that their kids are doing their school work. Like I said I have lived here a long time and I still would go to bed at night and leave the hosue unlocked. We also have asume neighbors. Before you make a decsion you might want to come out to the area different times of day and see what the neighborhoods look like. I would also maybe suggest staying a night at the Best Western and then driving in to work in the morining and seeing how long it takes you to get to work. I really do no have nothing bad to say about Romeoville. The only complaint I ever had was we had nothing for kids and no shopping but that is no longer true we now have a ice rink bowling ally and Target , Walmart, Kohls all coming. Hope this helps .

Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 PM

384 posts, read 1,129,362 times
I live in Romeoville, it is true that the traffic is horrible. I also graduated from the high school a couple years ago, and it wasn't a horrible school. Definetely not the best, but not bad either. Rarely any fights.

However, the town is very racist. I tend to keep away from my Mexican neighbors, they do not like white people. Also, the black kids at the high school were very racist. And the whites are racist in inner-circles, they just don't openly display it. I was not used to this, coming from Kentucky. Too much ignorance going around for me to bare.

Try moving outward more, maybe towards Mokena. I know they are expanding 55 down that way, and it isn't too much more expensive compared to Romeoville.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 AM

Would also like to add that there really isn't anything to do in Romeoville. You have to drive at least 5-10 miles to get to anything interesting. Really no places to hike either, which is a major downside for me.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,487,236 times
Default Things are not going to get any better either

IDOT has now announced that it is going to rip up I-55 from Weber Road all the way to I-80 for a widening project, where they will widen the jammed roadway to a whopping THREE lanes on each side. WHOOOOO HOOOO. True it only needs to be about 5 on each side right NOW.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 PM

180 posts, read 407,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
I've heard the schools in Romeoville are not very good. I was told to avoid applying there when I was looking for a job.
speaking as an RHS graduate (10 years ago), yes, the schools are not the greatest.

if people are looking to raise a family in that area, bolingbrook is a step up... the new areas of plainfield/shorewood are better.

if you're looking for a house for 120k in the chicago area (romeoville only qualifies because of it's proximity to i-55), go with romeoville. if you have a bit more money and school aged children, look elsewhere.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:31 PM

Schools aren't bad either, just a lot of racy kids. But not really any fights, and an overall DECENT school. Not bad, not great, just decent. 6.5 out of 10.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,510 times
Default Living in Romeoville

I have lived in Romeoville since I bought my first house in 98. It was all I could afford at the time and to my pleasant surprise there was a building boom and my house is now worth about triple what I paid. How long this will last is questionable because the neighborhood is on the downturn. When I first moved in it was very working class blue collar. (I live in Hampton Park the old section of town). It stayed looking pretty crumby for years then it seemed like the neighborhood was really on an upswing. Houses were being rehabbed, a hail storm got almost everyone new roofs and siding. Now a lot of minorities are moving in. I don't have a problem with this and love other races and their cultures. The problem is their culture causes them to do some things that look bad. You have multiple families living in one house. This means you have a lot of cars around. There is a 3 bedroom ranch on my street that has 11 cars parked in front. No joke. They have a one car garage. Some of their kids are not old enough to drive. I think 13-15 people live there. There is more and more of this. To the person that posted that people don't cut their lawns they are correct. Basically about half the people on my street are like renters. There is no pride of ownership. They don't clean up trash, trim bushes, paint their houses, nothing. I realize this is not Beverly Hills and some people done have a lot of money. Do you know how much it cost me to cut my grass this year every week? About $2:50. Gas is $3.00 a gallon and I did not use up my 1 gallon tank. It cost me nothing to pick up the dead branched that fell off of my trees and nothing to trim my bushes. It is just lazyness. Romeoville has code enforcement. What a joke. There are all kinds of codes for property appearance. These vehicles drive around all day but what do they do since everyones yard looks like crap? Everyone in Romeoville has at least 1 dog too. It comes with being white trash. If you don't like to hear dogs bark Romeoville is not the place for you. If you don't like to have your house shaken at 3 am from a loud car stereo as a car drives down your street at 40mph in a 25mph zone Romeoville is not for you. If you can do without Billy Bob and the loud exhaust on his pick up truck at 3am Romeoville is not for you either. Don't get me wrong I have a few good neighbors who take car of their property and are a delight but most everyone else has no class and it grinds on you after a while. Here is the thing. You can go move to Naperville. Actually for the same size house it does not cost that much more and they will maintain their property. But now you are going to have to put up with a yuppie neighbor who has even less class becasue they think they are rich and they are not. Your choice.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,456 times
Default Horrible place to live

I recently sold my home in Romeoville and breathed a sigh of relief. It is one of the worst places to live in the Chicago area. Do not be fooled by the house size and price. The houses are all made by the same builder and have a very cardboard like appearance. Most of the people I encountered in Romeoville are very uncultured and you will find the following types of people: ghetto hip-hoppers/gangster/thugs, mexicans who think they are still living in mexico and racist white hillbilly types. The subdivision associations are very facist in that they decide what color you can paint your house or what kind of bushes you need to plant. Commuting from Romeoville to anywhere that is not a farm or prison is at best annoying. The metra trains leave three times a day (within an hour of each other) and I-55 is a death-trap. Also, there is an abundance of factories and shipping warehouses in the area that leads to really strange odors and scenes of smokestacks spewing God knows what. Thank God I am out of that area, DO NOT MAKE YOUR LIFE MISERABLE AND MOVE THERE!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 03:31 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,487,236 times
Ya just wait, Romeoville is only growing, yet they aren't really doing much with the roads to increase their capacity, so just wait. 55 is at a standstill pretty much everyday now from 355 in during either of the two rush hours, now that 355 is fully open more people will only flood into the area bringing with them more traffic. Really if anything you should write a letter to your senator or Gov. Blago, and tell them they really need to start allocating funds to widen 55, and explain your frustrations and concerns. I wrote Blago years ago and surprisingly about 3 weeks later I got a very nice letter back from his office telling me that they were considering widening 55 down by Joliet as that was the general jist of my letter and today some 4 years later I see they are actually going to do it! Apparently enough people must have complained about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs