Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,907,110 times

Advertisements

Oak Park, and how could someone forget Evanston?

Also for far south and west: Plainfield, Flossmoor, Oswego, Tinley Park, Orland Park, etc. I've heard lots of good things about these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 01:54 AM

11 posts, read 30,496 times
Wow, you guys!! Thanks so much! I noticed no one has yet mentioned Palos Park, is it NOT a good choice because there seem to be no blacks there? Also, what about Indiana? Would love to live close to the lake with a short commute to Chicago. I here the schools are all pretty good there. NOT interested in Gary, it's rep precedes it (kind of like Harvey, IL). What about Merrillville. Is the Miller Beach area affordable? BTW, would think about Oak Park but there only seems to be bungalows and 25 foot lots...yuk.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,706,275 times
Palos Park does not have a large African American community. The south suburbs in Cook County are where the majority of the black population is located. Olympia Fields is one of the wealthiest black communities.

Not sure about any of the Indiana burbs other than don't move to Gary.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,344,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoexpat View Post
What about Merrillville. Is the Miller Beach area affordable?
All I can say about Indiana is see for yourself. We had loosely and briefy thought of parts of NW IN. before moving to Flossmoor. Many in Indiana, not all obviously are white flighters from the city. My stomach would turn as I overheard conversations about how Olympia Fields was "changing"... and "Oh, where are you guys heading?" with the answer being "Munster", and other NW Indiana towns. Some of my Flossmoor neighbors also moved to IN.

Make the drive and see. You may have an entirely different reaction than we did.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
All I can say about Indiana is see for yourself. We had loosely and briefy thought of parts of NW IN. before moving to Flossmoor. Many in Indiana, not all obviously are white flighters from the city. My stomach would turn as I overheard conversations about how Olympia Fields was "changing"... and "Oh, where are you guys heading?" with the answer being "Munster", and other NW Indiana towns. Some of my Flossmoor neighbors also moved to IN.

Make the drive and see. You may have an entirely different reaction than we did.
I applaud you.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,047,271 times
Well, you have to remember that there are still a decent number of white people who don't fit the general trend expressed on this forum and wouldn't think twice at moving to a place like Flossmoor. They seem happy to move e.g. deep into woodlawn and the eastern edges of beverly, where maybe only one or two other white families are on the block. I see them all the time and chat occasionally. They have no idea why anyone would have a problem with where they live.

It's good that there are people like this, gives some hope for progress.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Well, you have to remember that there are still a decent number of white people who don't fit the general trend expressed on this forum and wouldn't think twice at moving to a place like Flossmoor. They seem happy to move e.g. deep into woodlawn and the eastern edges of beverly, where maybe only one or two other white families are on the block. I see them all the time and chat occasionally. They have no idea why anyone would have a problem with where they live.

It's good that there are people like this, gives some hope for progress.
Most certainly.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:11 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,633,522 times
I'm shocked that it took till page 2 for someone to mention Oak Park, and page 3 for someone to mention Evanston! Are we in some sort of alternate parallel City-Data universe?

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 07-09-2009 at 11:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,111,599 times
Default It is sad

Quote:
It is definitely sad we are still having this sort of conversation. What is even sadder is when people of another race move to a neighborhood because they want a better lifestyle for themselves and their children - and they scare the people who live there. People who assume that different is bad -when we really have similar values. I spoke with my sister in a suburb of California, her neighborhood has a lovely mixture of races and religions, all living harmoniously. It seems our fair state still - overall - is segregated - even extending to the suburbs. I don't mind being a "first", I just don't want to put my children in a negative situation. I will take a look at the towns suggested again, but they are either too far, or don't have the large lots we're looking for. No Nirvana here? Really don't want to move to Cali...
ExPat, we will continue to be forced into these kinds of conversations until people learn to talk to each other. I have friends of all stripes. I have yet to meet a women who didn't like to be complimented on her clothing, hat or hair. I've yet to meet a man who didn't like to be told he looked sharp and smelled good. It doesn't hurt to make someone else feel good. I blame part of this segregation stuff on media, politicians and churches. I can show you places not in the deep south where people still act like its 1860. It is nauseating and it is frightening because these are the areas where the church (no particular religious group) overly influences politics on all levels just like it does in the deep south.

It is impossible to pry open a closed mind and convince anyone who grew up in a narrow-minded, bigoted atmosphere, that racism is not what a true religion teaches.

If you were in a position to move, I could show you an area in Illinois where segregation is not well tolerated. It does not mean that poor people do not live in poor areas. It means you can live where you want if you can afford it. There isn't that much fussing between neighbors. One of the reasons, I think, is because the true ethnic neighborhoods don't exist. We have ethic festivals and food fairs instead.

Good luck on your search.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:07 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,111,599 times
Default I've looked at Oak Park

Quote:
Wow, you guys!! Thanks so much! I noticed no one has yet mentioned Palos Park, is it NOT a good choice because there seem to be no blacks there? Also, what about Indiana? Would love to live close to the lake with a short commute to Chicago. I here the schools are all pretty good there. NOT interested in Gary, it's rep precedes it (kind of like Harvey, IL). What about Merrillville. Is the Miller Beach area affordable? BTW, would think about Oak Park but there only seems to be bungalows and 25 foot lots...yuk.
Oak Park seems to have a very good school system. There must be larger lots for those million dollar houses. Oak Park is a Frank Lloyd Wright town. You many find those 'bungalows' are larger than they look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs