Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:57 PM

16,901 posts, read 14,231,907 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is CC about 10 years too late in adopting this? (I believe Lansing just passed it last year - not sure about any other communities.)

Basically, it's being pushed as a "nation-wide" program designed to combat crime related issues as it relates to rental properties.

Landlords (or their agents) will be required to become certified (and I'm sure pay a nice licensing fee) in crime free housing. As far as I can tell, if crime calls continue on a particular property the landlord is the one who'll ultimately end up holding the bag and they'll be required to add an addendum to their leases that states in a nutshell, that illegal activity is grounds for eviction. (I had also read a blurb somewhere that landlords were going to be required to live within a 30 mile radius. )

I can't for the life of me see how this is going to make any bit of difference in a city like Calumet City - it's like trying to bail out a sinking ocean liner with a teaspoon.

We already have an illegal activity clause in our leases, we're not slumlords, we already do background and credit checks ... and now, in addition to paying over $10K in property taxes on a building that 1) is hard to find quality tenants for and 2) is next to impossible to sell, we're going to have to sit through mandatory workshops and pay licensing fees. And lord help us if something goes down in our parking lot or alley - I bet we'll rack up some fines for things that go on that we have absolutely no control over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 02:22 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,999,391 times
It's not just you. But at least they are trying to improve their community. I give them props for that.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:12 PM

16,901 posts, read 14,231,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
It's not just you. But at least they are trying to improve their community. I give them props for that.
I'm so jaded with the interworkings of CC politics, I'm not quite sure that "improvement" is their main focus.

My money is on, well ... money.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:21 AM

It wouldn't surprise me. A town like Cal City is too far gone to ever make it back to respectability aka where it was 30 to 40 years ago. I would, sadly, guess that you are right. How can they improve their town when their residents aren't really interested in taking the necessary steps to do so? It's like people who march down town for stricter gun laws because innocent children die by the bullet but at the same time they are not willing to go to court to testify against the same criminals who make their neighborhoods difficult to live in. It's not the guns that kill people. It's the people that do.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:27 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,046,343 times
At1: If you lived in Cal City with a few young kids to protect do you think you would have the guts to testify out in the open against a gang member? Or is it more likely that you would move the hell out of there?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 AM

I wouldn't live in Cal City in the first place. See the difference? If money was an issue, I'd move out of the area. Even out of the state. I would believe in my abilities to land a job in sales or some other area of profession. And I certainly would never raise kids in an environment such as Calumet City. Unless it was 1964 because that's when many of my family members grew up in Cal City and the town was great back then. But it's not about me because I do things different than most.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Have you ever been in a position where you were called on to testify against thugs who threatened you? If you want let's pretend that you live in a lakefront mansion in Lake Forest. It's not so easy, takes a hell of a lot of guts and in some ways you never have another day of peace. I'd hesitate to pass judgment so easily on people who are afraid to do this.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 AM

The judgement has passed. It goes with the territory. If you want to complain to and in front of people who have nothing to do with you or your enviornment (such as suggesting to punish others by taking away or minimalizing their rights) then you have to quit pointing the finger at other people and point it right back at yourself. It is the people of these communities that cause them to be horrible places to live. If you don't want to step up to the plate and protect your community, then you have no right to march downtown in front of the Thompson center demanding stricter gun laws. They have to point the finger at themselves and realize that their poor educations, broken family structures, lack of employment, and poor parenting skills are the reasons as to why their streets are amuck. If they want to change things, do something about it. Either step up and set an example for others to follow or simply move to a safer neighborhood even if it is out of state. Max out credit cards, do whatever it takes to move.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 AM

I think we're talking about two different groups of people. I imagine that most people who live there are pretty normal, probably not super educated but at least law abiding, with jobs, etc. Those are the ones I'm referring to. They are victimized by a smaller population of thugs who terrorize the neighborhood. The decent residents can either snitch and risk having their kids killed, or keep their mouths shut and try to get by. Most also probably don't have the option of moving. None of us is really above being in such a situation. Sometimes you can just be stuck financially. If you were trapped there somehow I don't think you would be able to "step up" in any way either. There is really nothing you can do to change anything. Just have to get out.

The part about kids is true and I think applies to a large fraction of the community. No idea how so many people can be so incredibly stupid and shortsighted to be having three kids from three random men by the time their 20. The door is shut at that point.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:19 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,330,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Landlords (or their agents) will be required to become certified (and I'm sure pay a nice licensing fee) in crime free housing. As far as I can tell, if crime calls continue on a particular property the landlord is the one who'll ultimately end up holding the bag and they'll be required to add an addendum to their leases that states in a nutshell, that illegal activity is grounds for eviction. (I had also read a blurb somewhere that landlords were going to be required to live within a 30 mile radius. )

We already have an illegal activity clause in our leases, we're not slumlords, we already do background and credit checks ... and now, in addition to paying over $10K in property taxes on a building that 1) is hard to find quality tenants for and 2) is next to impossible to sell, we're going to have to sit through mandatory workshops and pay licensing fees. And lord help us if something goes down in our parking lot or alley - I bet we'll rack up some fines for things that go on that we have absolutely no control over.
As a landlord, I've participated in the "Crime free Housing Program" in Schaumburg for about 10 years. I think it's a good thing. But I know Schaumburg is a lot different than Cal City. Schaumburg is safer with a good rental market and the Ordinace is more preventative in nature. I agree that it may be a little late in coming for CC...

I have never actually had to invoke the statute to have police remove a tenant for illegal activity (but it's nice to know I could). I believe the police can remove tenants for a wide range of "suspected illegal activity." So, to me, it protects landlords, communities, and property values.

I also did not find the statute particularly cumbersome to landlords. I did have to attend a somewhat boring (1-time only) weekend course on it though (I think it may have been free - can't remember). But I did learn some things about how to identify crime/gangs, tenant/landlord law, and I also connected with other property owners. All in all, it wasn't a complete waste of time. And interestingly, our properties located in Schaumburg have retained higher property values than our properties in communities that do not have this ordinance (coincidence?)...

Also, in the towns where we own property, we have always been required to purchase rental business licenses. The "Crime Free Ordinance Certificate" is a requirement of the business license and I don't believe there was an increased fee for this. It was also very easy to add the "Crime Free Lease Addendum" to my existing leases. But again, I'm sure each town implements this law differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs