Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 AM

8 posts, read 30,100 times

Advertisements

I've lived in EP for the past 3 years and when I first moved in, I barely noticed any thug looking characters around town but in the past year I've started to see a sharp increase of blacks and Latinos who wear shirts that are 3 sizes too big and baggy pants around town. I understand that males from those cultures who are in their 20's and younger tend to dress more urban but some of the males that I've seen were also wearing hats cocked to the side. So to anyone else who lives there, do you think there is a gang problem in EP? I heard about an attempted driveby shooting on Fullerton Ave not too far from where I live a year ago but I just viewed that as an isolated incident at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 11:59 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,234 times
^^ You haven't seen any whites dressed in big shirts and baggy pants w/cocked hats? FYI, they are thugs, too. I live in a town that's 95% white and the only kids I see dressed like that are white.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:18 PM

333 posts, read 1,147,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
^^ You haven't seen any whites dressed in big shirts and baggy pants w/cocked hats? FYI, they are thugs, too. I live in a town that's 95% white and the only kids I see dressed like that are white.
I live in Elmwood Park- for the past 32 years- and have seen a huge increase in gang activity. There was a gang fight on the 2000 block of 75th avenue on may 24th,2009. A bunch of Spanish Cobras, who now live in Elmwood Park, that came from cicero/diversey, walked on the block of 75th avenue and dickens at 10 p.m. on 05/24/09. The Spanish and Black subjects, approached a household of Puerto Ricans on the block. They began yelling and pushing and the one of the Cobras, a black male named Mario, pulled out a small knife and pointed it at the father of the home. The cops came and the gangmember threw the knife in the bushes. The police found a pipe next to the gangmembers when they arrived, but no one was charged with this weapon. although the residents stated that they saw these thugs carrying the pipe. 2 of these thugs were arrested, after refusing to leave the scene- and one thug Cobra- named Mario- ran his disrespectful mouth- calling the cops p***ies, and telling the cops that they cant touch him. The 2 thugs that were arrested were charged with disorderly conduct- as the police did not find the knife. This incident was not reported in the Elm Leaves, as many of the gang related incidents are hidden from being reported. The town is in denial that we do not have a gang problem. We need a gang tactical unit. The town is playing with the crime stats, and that is why they can still boast about the low crime rate in Elmwood Park. It is a huge lie- and many residents see the reality every day. And to respond to the above post, The thugs are Hispanic and Black- not white- so you can be a politically correct liberal- but the reality is these thugs and gangbangers are almost all Hispanic and Black- many from the inner city that have ruined our areas- as they have migrated west. Sorry, but this is reality!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:25 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,173 times
I've seen plenty of creepy-ass freaky white thug teenagers in my day, but I rarely if ever see them anymore in the Chicago proper and near-in suburbs. I recall even in Hyde Park in the early 80s there was some big Irish families that you tried to avoid, but pretty much all of the thugs I see near the city these days are black and latino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post

Old 06-08-2009, 01:34 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
pretty much all of the thugs I see near the city these days are black and latino.
I'm not saying they're not. My point is that wearing "urban" clothing does not mean a person is a gangbanger. Neither does skin color. As I mentioned, I see lots of white teenagers (thugs?) dressed like that but I don't think they are gangbangers. In the town I just moved from, there were blacks, Latinos, and whites dressed like that. Some of them were bangers, some were not.

An increase of teens in urban clothing doesn't necessarily denote a gang problem. However, an increase in crime does.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:10 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,173 times
No, it definitely doesn't mean it, nor even make it likely, but it does increase the probability. By the same token someone with a backpack, glasses, and a school uniform could easily be a drug dealer, but it's much less likely to be the case. In shaky areas where the specter of crime is an everyday problem the symbolism is unfortunately very powerful. I wish I had time to get to know everyone individually. Since I don't I'm often guilty of this type of stereotyping myself.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB74 View Post
I've lived in EP for the past 3 years and when I first moved in, I barely noticed any thug looking characters around town but in the past year I've started to see a sharp increase of blacks and Latinos who wear shirts that are 3 sizes too big and baggy pants around town. I understand that males from those cultures who are in their 20's and younger tend to dress more urban but some of the males that I've seen were also wearing hats cocked to the side. So to anyone else who lives there, do you think there is a gang problem in EP? I heard about an attempted driveby shooting on Fullerton Ave not too far from where I live a year ago but I just viewed that as an isolated incident at the time.
Yes, Elmwood Park has a growing gang problem- and that worthless Police Chief needs to be fired! He is a do nothing cop who worries more about fireworks and smoking in bars. Time to prioritize!

Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
Yes, Elmwood Park has a growing gang problem- and that worthless Police Chief needs to be fired! He is a do nothing cop who worries more about fireworks and smoking in bars. Time to prioritize!
EXACTLY!! That type of trash( thugs, gangstas) needs to go and nothing is being done about it. Forget the fireworks- there are more serious issues. Blue collar Joes cannot afford to flee to a newer car oriented suburb or exurb espescailly in today's economy. Let their voices be heard !

Old 06-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
EXACTLY!! That type of trash( thugs, gangstas) needs to go and nothing is being done about it. Forget the fireworks- there are more serious issues. Blue collar Joes cannot afford to flee to a newer car oriented suburb or exurb espescailly in today's economy. Let their voices be heard !
Thats right- let the concerned, blue collar citizens voices be heard!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:14 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,390,609 times
If you think blacks are ruining Elmwood Park you must be out of your damn mind. Elmwood Park's black population is less than .5%, so why on earth would some "black thugs" just choose EP to start trouble? Black gangs are responsible for ruining a lot of neighborhoods, but EP isn't one of them. Point your fingers get someone else maybe even yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs