Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:35 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh7 View Post
I bet one of the neightbors bought an american made car - oh the horror!
omg! you grab the legs, I'll grab the arms and we'll haul them to Acura or Lexus in Highland Park so that they can make the right decision.

I was reading 'North Shore Magazine' a few weeks ago, apparently there are a number of foreclosures in Glencoe, Lake Forest, etc because people bought in that couldn't afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 12:31 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skontoller View Post
Question for any people familiar with the NS. Has Glencoe changed recently. I met someone who recently said that Glencoe had taken a turn for the worst but she wouldn't specified what she meant. Anyone have any insight?

SK
OMG there have been a rash of "new money" people that have moved to Glencoe in the last decade or two! Oh the humanity!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
H33

1 posts, read 2,224 times
I think what your friend meant was the rude, pretentious, flashy people (yes, they probably are new money) that have moved into the community: Plastic, anorexic middle aged women, their investment banker husbands (supposedly that's how they make all their money); and their spoiled, undisciplined children who are cared for 24/7 by a non-English speaking nanny while the parents party, shop, travel, or just choose to ignore their children. I grew up in Glencoe and it has definitely changed in the past 10-15 years. When I lived there, I made some really great friends and met some really nice people. However, most of these people moved out of Glencoe a long time ago! To be fair, Glencoe has a very quaint downtown area, great schools, and beautiful parks. Unfortunately, I think the attitude of Glencoe residents completely ruins any appeal it has. You will find snotty people no matter where you live, but Glencoe really takes the cake. If you're interested in sending your children to New Trier, check out some other communities in New Trier Township. I would recommend Wilmette and the parts of Glenview and Northfield that are within NT Township.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
I hear the folks in Winnetka won't even drive on the Sheridan Road ravines into Glencoe at night! Not only that, word is out that the Botanic Garden has gone to pot; did you know that prairie grasses are now growing there naturally and they can't afford to hire gardeners to weed them out. New Trier High School has declared Glencoe to be "inter-city" and have redistricted, sending all Glencoe kids to HPHS.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H33 View Post

I think what your friend meant was the rude, pretentious, flashy people (yes, they probably are new money)
You mean the kind of money that is earned through employment ( new money) as opposed to a trust fund/inheritance ( old money) , ala Paris Hilton?

I have no horse in this race......just saying.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:12 PM

114 posts, read 387,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You mean the kind of money that is earned through employment ( new money) as opposed to a trust fund/inheritance ( old money) , ala Paris Hilton?

I have no horse in this race......just saying.
Very good question/point. Too often people generalize.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,319 times
I think what that person is referring to is the state of the market in Glencoe. Glencoe has seen the sharpest declines in property values on the North Shore. Glencoe lead the North Shore in number of teardowns. Glencoe really is a bargain right now.

As to schools, services, etc. Glencoe is perfectly fine (probably 2nd to Kenilworth in quality of services).

Old 01-28-2010, 01:48 PM

178 posts, read 601,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H33 View Post
I think what your friend meant was the rude, pretentious, flashy people (yes, they probably are new money) that have moved into the community: Plastic, anorexic middle aged women, their investment banker husbands (supposedly that's how they make all their money); and their spoiled, undisciplined children who are cared for 24/7 by a non-English speaking nanny while the parents party, shop, travel, or just choose to ignore their children. I grew up in Glencoe and it has definitely changed in the past 10-15 years. When I lived there, I made some really great friends and met some really nice people. However, most of these people moved out of Glencoe a long time ago! To be fair, Glencoe has a very quaint downtown area, great schools, and beautiful parks. Unfortunately, I think the attitude of Glencoe residents completely ruins any appeal it has. You will find snotty people no matter where you live, but Glencoe really takes the cake. If you're interested in sending your children to New Trier, check out some other communities in New Trier Township. I would recommend Wilmette and the parts of Glenview and Northfield that are within NT Township.
I'm glad to have this honest, straightforward depiction. We're considering a move to the Chicago area and when we lived in Chicago (20 years ago) we loved Glencoe. It doesn't sound like place where I would want to raise my kids now.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:06 PM

9 posts, read 24,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztoga View Post
I'm glad to have this honest, straightforward depiction. We're considering a move to the Chicago area and when we lived in Chicago (20 years ago) we loved Glencoe. It doesn't sound like place where I would want to raise my kids now.
I'd like to know if H33 still lives in Glencoe, or if he/she is just following the mainstream stereotype of the village. I moved here a few months ago and must say you'd be hard-pressed to find a more welcoming, warm community. I was terrified about the snobs and the wealth, but really people are nice, the schools are amazing, and the beauty, proximity to the lake, and safety make it a gem of a town to live in, let alone raise kids. We are constantly wondering if we should have moved to Wilmette instead, only because of gross generalizations and stereotypes that make us (unnecessarily) sensitive about where we live...when in reality, we have yet to experience any negativity whatsoever.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 PM

69 posts, read 231,672 times
Do you think Glencoe has taken a harder hit than Highland Park? I've been surprised by how relatively resilient the Wilmette market has been.

SK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs