Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,772,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The only reference I could find to anything related to was this quote from 2011 citing a seven fold increase in arrests throughout DuPage Co from 2009 to 2010. There are many parts of DuPage Co suffering from the negative effects heroin...

Heroin Arrests In DuPage County Up 700% In 2010 « CBS Chicago
This wasn't hard to find. Here's a story talking about the 800% rise in Heroin related arrests in Dupage county.

It can’t happen here | Politics In DuPage County

Below was another link to the 800% rise in heroin use in Dupage, but the story has been taken down for some reason.

http://elmhurst.patch.com/articles/h...-dupage-county

2010 was not that long ago, and by the looks of things, the heroin epidemic is still a huge problem. If one wants more up to date stories about the heroin epidemic that's sweeping across the many western suburbs, both rich and middle class, a quick search will bring up plenty of info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 11:13 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,858,652 times
Default Nope sorry not gonna cut it pal!!!!!

The first "link" you posted is to a some kind "personal blog" post from 2010 and it links to the DEAD link which is was undoubtedly in error as the ONLY real data with any kind of number like that is from the seven fold increase of arrests from 2009 to 2010.

Your slanderously stated that there was some meteoric rise in use specifically in among school age addicts in the most affluent area yet can now cite no such source.

BLUFF CALLED! Very much what I expect of such a shameless denier of facts...

Read these FACTS to see they are quite different from the sensationalist headlines.

The rise is arrests is real but the kinds of folks getting arrested are hardly a surprise:

Heroin Support Group Advocate Arrested for Dealing | NBC Chicago

St. Charles Man Arrested in North Elmhurst - Police & Fire - Elmhurst, IL Patch

I fully support the vigorous efforts on my neighbor, DuPage Co States Attorney Robert Berlin, to bust up these trafficking rings but look at where the VAST majority of these criminal live --
DuPage County IL Official Website - More Than a Dozen Arrested in Heroin Conspiracy Bust

Oak Park and River Forest PD are busy with this too:

River Forest Police Help Crack Maywood Heroin Ring

Heroin Arrest, 3D TV Stolen: Police Blotter - Police & Fire - Oak Park-River Forest, IL Patch

Oak Park police: 4 arrested after 7-month investigation of heroin sales - Chicago Tribune[

Drug arrest is made near Oak Park police station - Chicago Tribune

Sadly the worst aspects of these problems remain inside Chicago:
Drug arrests drop in Chicago but still snare thousands in black neighborhoods | Bleader | Chicago Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
This wasn't hard to find. Here's a story talking about the 800% rise in Heroin related arrests in Dupage county.

It can’t happen here | Politics In DuPage County

Below was another link to the 800% rise in heroin use in Dupage, but the story has been taken down for some reason.

http://elmhurst.patch.com/articles/h...-dupage-county

2010 was not that long ago, and by the looks of things, the heroin epidemic is still a huge problem. If one wants more up to date stories about the heroin epidemic that's sweeping across the many western suburbs, both rich and middle class, a quick search will bring up plenty of info.

Last edited by chet everett; 11-16-2013 at 11:23 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
The first "link" you posted is to a some kind "personal blog" post from 2010 and it links to the DEAD link which is was undoubtedly in error as the ONLY real data with any kind of number like that is from the seven fold increase of arrests from 2009 to 2010.

Your slanderously stated that there was some meteoric rise in use specifically in among school age addicts in the most affluent area yet can now cite no such source.

BLUFF CALLED! Very much what I expect of such a shameless denier of facts...

Read these FACTS to see they are quite different from the sensationalist headlines.

The rise is arrests is real but the kinds of folks getting arrested are hardly a surprise:

Heroin Support Group Advocate Arrested for Dealing | NBC Chicago

St. Charles Man Arrested in North Elmhurst - Police & Fire - Elmhurst, IL Patch

I fully support the vigorous efforts on my neighbor, DuPage Co States Attorney Robert Berlin, to bust up these trafficking rings but look at where the VAST majority of these criminal live --
DuPage County IL Official Website - More Than a Dozen Arrested in Heroin Conspiracy Bust

Oak Park and River Forest PD are busy with this too:

River Forest Police Help Crack Maywood Heroin Ring

Heroin Arrest, 3D TV Stolen: Police Blotter - Police & Fire - Oak Park-River Forest, IL Patch

Oak Park police: 4 arrested after 7-month investigation of heroin sales - Chicago Tribune[

Drug arrest is made near Oak Park police station - Chicago Tribune

Sadly the worst aspects of these problems remain inside Chicago:
Drug arrests drop in Chicago but still snare thousands in black neighborhoods | Bleader | Chicago Reader
You haven't called anyones "bluff". There could be plenty of reasons for the link being dead, and it wasn't dead a few months ago when I posted it... So being that it's an article that was written almost 3 years ago, and still worked up until recently, it's far more likely that the bad link is due to technical or server issues. If it were due to issues in the data, it would have been corrected far earlier, when the attention was on the stories of that time.

Seems like I hit a nerve, considering the attempts to down play the epidemic in your own back yard, and try to claim that you called my "bluff". There is nothing "slanderous" about stating that Heroin use in places like Hinsdale and other wealthy Dupage suburbs are predominately a problem of young people there, many of which are school age teens. Research shows that teens start using Heroin between the ages of 15 - 18 in these places.

Study Sheds Light on Young Suburban Heroin Users -- HINSDALE, Ill., Oct. 18, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

Heroin Use in DuPage County an 'Epidemic,' State's Attorney Says - Around Town - Burr Ridge, IL Patch

Suntimes.com

Here's a little video the Hinsdale Police Department put together to educate people about the issue due to it's wide spread destruction in the area... You'd do well to educate yourself on it, as oppose to burying your head in the sand. It's interesting to note that the interviewee is NOT some hardened criminal, but just another kid from the suburbs.

[vimeo]77244764[/vimeo]
Village of Hinsdale Police Department - Heroin on Vimeo

You should reserve being a "shameless denier of facts" for yourself. How "SHAMELESS" to take the light off of the many young people suffering from this problem, to try to re-characterize it as mostly a problem of the people with criminal pasts.

Here's an interesting article noting the there's been a 16% decrease in Heroin related deaths among Chicago middle aged blacks (the highest demographic of user in the city) since 2000, while the deaths from McHenry and Will county have doubled.

They quote that "It used to be that most heroin users were African-American males from the Vietnam era," Bigg said. "In the last 20 years, we've seen a shift to a much greater group, starting with the 18 to 24, suburban, Caucasian population"

Chicago's Heroin Problem Worst In The Nation, Says New Study

Another article noting the rise in Heroin usage among Caucasian suburban young people that are regular kids, and a 67% decrease in usage among city folk between the ages of 20 - 24.

Study On Suburban Heroin Use Dispels Myths About Protective And Risk Factors

One can only imagine that the misrepresentation of "FACTS" is merely an ideological effort to retain a thin veneer of the illusion of perfection these "desirable" and affluent towns have built up.

While I support the efforts of different police departments, drug task forces, W.E.D.G.E., educational efforts, parent groups etc... It's also the responsibility of residents to make transparent the epidemic that's happening in these places.

I expected no less from "shameless denier of facts" who would go as far as to down play the severity of the problem, "slanderously" calling articles addressing this issue "sensationalist headlines" that are somehow different to the "facts", and the shifting demographic it is increasingly affecting... Especially when "Dupage is on pace for record number of Heroin deaths."

Suntimes.com

My Suburban Life | Heroin use a 'public health crisis'

Heroin in DuPage County - City of Wood Dale, Illinois*

It is sad that any area, regardless of whether is a predominantly, Black, White, Hispanic, mixed etc... Rich or poor, has to deal with these issues. It is foolish to ignore trends that suggest a continuing rise in a certain demographic of user in a place where Heroin abuse was not a problem once upon a time. There is an obvious need for more education on the issue, and down playing it one makes one part of the problem.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:42 AM

Total distortions.

Read the links you posted! (most of which are merely relinks to one study...)

The study (one of the author of which works for a health education organization located in Hinsdale) confirms everything about the MAJORITY of heroin users having ESCALATED from other kinds of perscription drug abuse as well as being being habituable abusers --

" The research team from Roosevelt University's Illinois Consortium on Drug Policy conducted in-depth, confidential interviews with 15 current and former young heroin users, ages 22 to 31 years old, from Chicago's western suburbs. Respondents from western Cook, DuPage and Will counties discussed how they began using heroin and what they knew about heroin when they first tried the drug. Results indicate young, suburban heroin users believed when they "snorted or sniffed" heroin they were less likely to become addicted. Nearly two-thirds of the study respondents said they turned to heroin after first using prescription pain medications, or as a way to "come down" from cocaine use. Co-authors Kathie Kane-Willis and Stephanie Schmitz screened more than 50 candidates and developed a sample of 15 heroin users for more extensive questioning. They also conducted focus groups with 28 young suburban participants who had been involved with drugs in high school, and surveyed more than 100 suburban parents, in an effort to paint a picture of Chicago-area suburban heroin users.
According to the report, the heroin-involved interviewees reported they initiated to the drug in one of three ways.
  • They had first taken and often became dependent on pain pills (Oxycontin or Vicodin) before they transitioned to heroin.
  • They were cocaine users and tried heroin to help them "come down" or sleep after a cocaine binge.
  • They tried heroin after experimenting with many other drugs.

The only "nerve" you've hit is to the show your NERVE in continuing to distort facts. The facts show that heroin is a real problem and the threats that is has among traditional underclass drug users is orders of magnitude greater than among school aged kids. Certainly no one is suggesting that any drug abuse should be overlooked but the INSANE sensationalism that liars and charlatans demonstrate in trying to distort the real nexus of problems that coddles drug abusers is rampant in the minds of delusional do-gooders ...

The sad case of Billy Roberts, whose father retired from CPD, moved to Homer Glen in SW Cook Co and then took a job running the Cook Co Forest Preserve Police also highlights the fact that folks overly concerned about their career often overlook the warning signs of teens alienated from their peers by relocation, another point that I continually make folks to consider when they choose job transfers.

Last edited by chet everett; 11-17-2013 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Nice try, but I leave the distorting of rhetoric up to you.

If you bothered to read through everything I posted without some form of mediating goggles, you'd also see that there are research showing users starting as early as 15. What you've posted says nothing of the contrary to what I've said, but merely points out the way in which young people in the burbs are more likely to start Heroin. This does not disprove that more suburban users are being created. I see you've taken it upon yourself to interperate that study as suggesting drug users as being mostly an underclass problem, and not your everyday teen... Well, a number of the articles I've posted suggest a trend that contradicts your belief, as they clearly state a continuing rise in the use of Caucasian suburban young people at an alarming rate.

It's interesting that the ideological would go as far as to suggest that being aware of an alarming trend is equivalent to "coddling drug abusers", and it would suggest that such people are either completely out of touch with contemporary youth, or that they care more about the projected image of a town than the children in them. It is not surprising is some are out of touch with the problems of the youth of today, but to try and distort reality is deplorable.

Th sad thing about the sad case of Billy Roberts is that his situation, being a regular teen falling into Heroin abuse, is not an isolated incident. There are 2 trends teens get into drugs. One is that they isolate them selves from the group,and two, they introduce drugs into the group, so suggesting that one is at greater risk compared to teens preexisting in at town, merely through relocation is beyond delusional.

Go educate yourself.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:14 PM

Default Pretty sad...

Quote:

Go educateyourself.

Take your own advice.

The bizarre ways that some people twist threads to suit their own narrow view of what sorts of places have what sorts of problems is exhibited pretty clearly by the sequence of falsehoods that are illustrated here.

Rather than sticking to the topic of why folks might or might not consider River Forest along with Oak Park the thread was pretty innocuous until the clearly FALSE assertion was interjected about "school age" heroin abuse soaring in "the most affluent" areas.

Once I showed just how such a falsehood was misinterpreted a bizarre barrage of nonsense based on this falsehood was attempted.

Fact is good law enforcement agencies in the whole region are working to reign in the scourge of heroin addiction and folks that ignore the fact of who is being snared in these arrests are likely part of the problem not the solution.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:

The bizarre ways that some people twist threads to suit their own narrow view of what sorts of places have what sorts of problems is exhibited pretty clearly by the sequence of falsehoods that are illustrated here.
Funny, I could have typed the exact same sentence in relation to some posts.

As I look back on the tread, I wasn't the one who jumped off topic, but I clearly made the assertion that other "desirable" high schools and town have to contend with some of the same types of issues as OPRF. My responses regarding drug abuse wre merely towards the distortions of the current trends. Talking about twisting the truth, I never limited my comments to merely the rise in Heroin use amoung school age kids in affluent areas, but said that they have to contend with the same types of issues found in the city they were trying to get away from. Oe can read the articles on Heroin abuse in the western suburbs and make their own minds up as to whether "soaring" would be a good representation of the issue, but police departments seem to think the term "epidemic" is applicable... I suppose there will always be some that will choose to believe what they wish regardless of what the people dealing with these issues have to say.

Please show me where I ignore the good work of these agencies fighting drugs? That's right, I didn't, and I actually linked to some videos of their efforts in fighting the ignorance behind these problems. Their efforts were never in question, but what WAS in question was the attempts of some to shift focus away from the "epidemic" coined by the very same agencies they proport to support. Lol, talk about being part of the problem.

If there's one thing I do agree with, it would be that the River Forest thread was relatively informative until some started their ideological barrage of nonsense that I have been addressing. Te article are their, and people can make up their own minds about the issue.

"Sad" indeed.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 PM

Default Nm

Quote:

"Sad" indeed.
Mt

Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 PM

Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs