Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:40 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,773,911 times

Advertisements

*-=l8-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 05:27 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,272,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky2190 View Post
Go to the east side of oak park by austin av drive around then come back to me
I drive by, walk through, and have lived very near the area of "the island" and four corners area of Cicero, Chicago, and Oak Park and although it is certainly not the crown jewel of Chicagoland suburbs and it may have some problems every now and again, it is not by definition, a "bad area" of Oak Park. I actually think it has improved over the years and will only get better.

The Island, a gem on Chicago's West Side

Austin neighborhood guide - Chicago neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky2190 View Post
Because its a nice safe town, nice homes, great schools (k-8), wonderful people, etc. he's OPRF is a nice school but. I don't agree with you about it being river forests best feature
OPRF is a great school with many amenities AND all of the problems that one may experience and expect in our day and time. What sets it apart from schools which are not quite so successful is the level of involvement not only from the parents and families of its student population but the from the community as well.

Children face a multitude of circumstances and experiences during their lives and more times than not they will be influenced by the collective efforts of their community and their environment.

Having said that, what do you think is the "best feature" of River Forest?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,386,985 times
Anyway, yea, I think River Forest is overall a very good town. I'd personally say the best features are the housing stock and school systems. You're also very close to public transit to get into the City, hopefully not to get heroin!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:18 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,882,320 times
It's also conveniently located close to Berwyn!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Always a plus!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,029,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The policies in most schools reflect the desires of the community to have an orderly atmosphere in the school.

The overly intellectual types that worry too much about the "damage" that comes from not tolerating aggressive behavior seem to be uniquely represented in Evanston and Oak Park.
What suburb do you live in again Chet??

Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,622,124 times
It seems like every area I've considered raising my kids has been in the news over the past decade as a hotbed of teen heroin use, from Oak Park to DuPage County to Madison and Milwaukee. Clearly this problem has spread throughout the U.S. due to the more potent "snort-able" form of heroin that is now being imported cheaply. I don't think it does anyone any good to point fingers at another community to say "This is YOUR problem". It's everywhere.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:38 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
Not Berwyn, but I do "pull for it".

And I do like parts of Evanston as well as Oak Park but too often, especially on these boards, those towns are incorrectly promoted as some kind of "delightful midpoint with the best of city living and none of the downside, while still having more vibrancy than boring suburbs but better schools".

Too often the folks that try to promote those areas are woefully uninformed about BOTH the advances that some parts of Chicago have made since the darkest days of race relations in Chicago AND utterly clueless about what other suburbs offer. . Beyond those problems the realities of transportation in the region, especially for families with dual incomes, make it really hard to recommend living in an area with poor employment options nearby. The spread of offices as far out as Wisconsin / Dekalb / Kankakee is a reality that dual income households have to deal with and being adjacent to Chicago really does not help in that matter.

I live in the west suburbs, enjoy train service via the BNSF, great access to a wide range of employers in the I-88 corridor, good access to 355, superior schools in D181/D86, and the small town appeal of Clarendon Hills.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,386,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Yes but I have a feeling this would NOT be a selling point to the person who resurrected the thread.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,773,911 times
I think it's always helpful when posters like Homeiswhere provide an accurate description of where they live, and it's this kind of specificity about towns like Oak Park, Evanston etc... that make the difference, because more often than not, the cons that are perceived, are often projected to be way worse than reality, from uninformed posters. It's telling that when you have an informed opinion like when Homeiswhere talks about the south eastern corner of Oak Park, it defies the label of "bad area" people tend to put on certain parts of Oak Park. Even the Border on Austin Blvd, which has a few more issues compared to moving west, cannot be lumped in as a whole, as there are parts of it, specifically across from Columbus Park and around the Arts District, that are considered "desirable" by some.

Point is, it's all too easy to make generalized and uninformed judgements on a place when one doesn't live, has never lived, in that certain town, and is overwhelmingly reliant on data without the necessary analysis to make the data meaningful. It's also highly ironic that some would accuse other board members of under playing the negatives of Oak Park and Evanston, considering that they continually brush off ANY negatives that exist in affluent towns like Hinsdale etc... as non-issues. Fact is there are issues on Oak Park, River Forest, Hinsdale, Lake Forest etc... You name it. While there are obviously pros to living in an affluent suburb like Hinsdale for some people, it would be foolish to believe that it doesn't have to contend with problems of it's own, nor that it's proximity of the city means it doesn't have to deal with some of the issues of the city. The problem arises when such individuals try to pass themselves off as the expert on virtually every town in the region, despite the lack of actual real living experience in some of the specific towns they address. They read a little of this, a little of that, and think they know every corner of the town... And on top of that, pepper their opinions with the subjectivity of what they find desirable and undesirable, and pass it off as the objective norm. They are sadly blinded by their own ignorance, arrogance and ideology.

I think it is important that families consider location, transport etc... and obviously if someone is going to work in Aurora, a far west suburb will be better, but last I've seen, downtown Chicago is still a large area where many are employed, and certain inner ring suburbs are hard to beat in terms of the transport options to it etc... But there is more to a town than just transport.

I whole heartedly agree with HomeIsWhere's statement; "Children face a multitude of circumstances and experiences during their lives and more times than not they will be influenced by the collective efforts of their community and their environment." - beyond things like good schools, amenities, location etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs