Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,050 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm trying to determine where the best place to move my family would be.
I will be commuting to Milwaukee starting this fall but can't move across the state line. My husband will either be commuting to Des Plaines or Skokie and would prefer to take the train. I'm currently living in Evanston and rent here has been killing us. We're trying to go cheaper... the cheaper the better. Diversity doesn't bother us so long as we don't bother them, but I want to feel safe when walking with my little girls down the street. I have been looking at relocating either to Zion or Antioch, as they seem to offer the best proximity for our commuting needs. However, Zion seems like it has some really bad spots and I know nothing of Antioch. Can anyone offer me any information regarding which areas in Zion to stay away from, if Antioch is much better or if here may be a better town which I have missed?
I prefer to stay more rural if possible, but the best price and neighborhood are the deciding factors. I've seen alot of 2 bedrooms in Zion for between 650 -750/mo, and have an appointment to go look at a 2br advertised at 485/mo. It's on Hebron ave and 22nd st. I'm afraid this is in one of those bad spots. I've asked afew of the people with properties there and they're responses are really vague when I ask about the neighborhood.
Thanks so much for any help that anyone may be able to provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savethewhales View Post
Hello,
I'm trying to determine where the best place to move my family would be.
I will be commuting to Milwaukee starting this fall but can't move across the state line. My husband will either be commuting to Des Plaines or Skokie and would prefer to take the train. I'm currently living in Evanston and rent here has been killing us. We're trying to go cheaper... the cheaper the better. Diversity doesn't bother us so long as we don't bother them, but I want to feel safe when walking with my little girls down the street. I have been looking at relocating either to Zion or Antioch, as they seem to offer the best proximity for our commuting needs. However, Zion seems like it has some really bad spots and I know nothing of Antioch. Can anyone offer me any information regarding which areas in Zion to stay away from, if Antioch is much better or if here may be a better town which I have missed?
I prefer to stay more rural if possible, but the best price and neighborhood are the deciding factors. I've seen alot of 2 bedrooms in Zion for between 650 -750/mo, and have an appointment to go look at a 2br advertised at 485/mo. It's on Hebron ave and 22nd st. I'm afraid this is in one of those bad spots. I've asked afew of the people with properties there and they're responses are really vague when I ask about the neighborhood.
Thanks so much for any help that anyone may be able to provide.

2BR for $485? You know what they say. If its sounds to be too good to be true...... (fill in the blanks).

I would pick Antioch over Zion in a heartbeat though. Western Waukegan would be better than Zion. Check out county sex offenders list before renting something on the cheap.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 11,050 times
Yes, I thought the price was suspicious too. What do you think I should expect to pay for something decent in these areas? Yes I noticed the sex offender ratio in Zion is alittle high. Thanks for that info.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Wow, long commutes for both of you are going to be bad bad bad.
Have you check the routes via Metra? The best path to DesPlaines might be via UP NW, but frankly that would be rough to get schedules to anyplace that makes for decent drive to Milwaukee.

If you did use UP-N from Zion that won't really put you in good shape to get to DesPlaines at all, and even Skokie is probably going to involve a couple of buses.

NCS service from Antioch is no help either

Metra - Metra System Map

System really was not set-up for suburb to suburb commute -- spokes all lead to Chicago as hub!

Maybe the Amtrak service to Milwaukee would allow better access for you? Though that makes you dependent on just ONCE a day service from Glenview in the north burbs unless you have a flexible start time: http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/oct04/W23.pdf Drive from someplace like Morton Grove or Skokie would give hubby easy commute, but you'd have to scramble for that one train...

Really tough choices.

Zion is affordable for a reason,

Old 06-12-2009, 05:30 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Chet's right, you'll want to be on the UP-NW line to take the Metra train to Des Plaines or Park Ridge (then take the Touhy bus to Skokie). By that logic, you'll want to find towns at points where the UP-NW line intersects a highway that makes the Milwaukee travel possible. Since this takes you Northwest, you could look into the Arlington Heights area (though this is not rural), or go further out to Woodstock (you could take Hwy 47 north to I-43 to get to MKE) or Harvard (end of the line).

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to take the train to Des Plaines between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savethewhales View Post
Yes, I thought the price was suspicious too. What do you think I should expect to pay for something decent in these areas? Yes I noticed the sex offender ratio in Zion is alittle high. Thanks for that info.

Probably at least $850.

The ride in from Zion or Antioch to Milwaukee is easy. Under an hour in good traffic. To Des Plaines though you'll have to fight traffic----The morning traffic on 94 bottles up from Gurnee/132 to Lincolnshire/22. In the PM, traffic can bottle up from Deerfield Rd. To 137/Abbott Park. Allow for some serious commuting times.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 PM

258 posts, read 443,234 times
Village of Mundelein Great City Very Easy Going Right inbetween Chicago and Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs