U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:13 PM

40 posts, read 89,508 times

Advertisements

I have been living in the chicago suburbs my whole life, and have visited both ny and la's suburbs. I noticed that ny and la suburbs have at least one really well known suburb that everyone in the world would know about...In new york they have the hamptons, in los angeles they have the beverly hills, newport beach,etc...I was just thinking, what do you guys think is the beverly hills or the hamptons of chicago? I was also looking at the cost of housing in ny and la suburbs and found out it would be alot more expensive to live there rather than in chicago..I always knew ny and la were expensive because of the coasts, but to me chicago is the same as them if not way better, so if you guys could fill me in on that also it would be great...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:32 AM

374 posts, read 978,451 times
The Hamptons is not considered a NY suburb; it's considered a vacation spot. The Hamptons are not really commutable for the average person on a daily basis. One major difference between NY and Chicago, and it was quite surprising to me when I moved to Chicago from NY - In NY, you do anything you can to get out of the City, including paying a ridiculous sum for a bed at a Hamptoms home for a few weekends a month. The City is so empty in the summer. In Chicago, people are excited to stay in the City because there is so much going on.

I think some of the quintessential NY suburbs would be in Westchester County (Larchmont, Scarsdale), Summit, New Jersey and various Bergen County suburbs (Alpine, Franklin Lakes) and LI suburbs including Great Neck, Port Washington and stuff on the North Shore.

In Chicago, people around the country seem to know Evanston, Oak Park, River Forest, Lake Forest, Naperville and Winnetka. Or at least that is what my family knows.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,587,719 times
dont you think the average person is probably stuck in ny city through the summer? the upper middle class thinks of taking expensive weekends at the hamptons, then there are those that just go to orchard beach for a brief cool off from the city heat. which number is greater...

when i think of fancy ny burbs, i think of long island and westchester county. beverly hills, is of course the most well known snobby spot. unless pple have lived in the area of chicago they probably will not be familiar with most of the suburban cities. when i think of chicago, i think of the lake shore drive area, and where i used to live many yrs ago. pple may have heard of the areas the above poster mentioned, after all most everyone has wgn tv on the dish. i lived in deer field for a few yrs when i was a kid, but doubt that burb is synonymous when thinking of the windy city.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:28 AM

89 posts, read 250,353 times
Very few on the east and west coast or anywhere know little to nothing about the Chicago burbs. Why would they? New York is the media capital of the world, yet I know very little about the burbs. As others have stated, The Hamptons are not burbs, but vacation spots for the wealthy. L.A. is a little more well known with Hollywood(i.e. Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc.)

Chicago the city is still light years behind the media giants of NYC and L.A. in this country. I look at that as a good thing! Kind of off track, but most people overseeas go to three places in the U.S. when traveling(New York, L.A., Florida).
It is always fun when one comes to Chicago and is blown away!
I think the Olympics will really blow away people

Okay, back on subject, no chicago burbs are known as well as the Big Two, but does it really matter?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 PM

4,537 posts, read 8,590,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisDD View Post
Very few on the east and west coast or anywhere know little to nothing about the Chicago burbs. Why would they? New York is the media capital of the world, yet I know very little about the burbs. As others have stated, The Hamptons are not burbs, but vacation spots for the wealthy. L.A. is a little more well known with Hollywood(i.e. Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc.)

Chicago the city is still light years behind the media giants of NYC and L.A. in this country. I look at that as a good thing! Kind of off track, but most people overseeas go to three places in the U.S. when traveling(New York, L.A., Florida).
It is always fun when one comes to Chicago and is blown away!
I think the Olympics will really blow away people

Okay, back on subject, no chicago burbs are known as well as the Big Two, but does it really matter?
Kind of see that as a downfall of Chicago that it deserve to be known across the world. Why do you think NYC is gaining population when its already expensive? The problem with some Chicago residents is sometimes it act like it don't won't to be known across the world. Well it least the Mayor feel like Chicago should get more international status by wanting the Olympics here.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:16 PM

273 posts, read 667,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Kind of see that as a downfall of Chicago that it deserve to be known across the world. Why do you think NYC is gaining population when its already expensive? The problem with some Chicago residents is sometimes it act like it don't won't to be known across the world. Well it least the Mayor feel like Chicago should get more international status by wanting the Olympics here.
Speaking of the Olympics, what are they going to use the buildings for when the event is over? After I think about it, Daley might just be using this to kick out more section 8 to the burbs.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:06 PM

4,537 posts, read 8,590,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
Speaking of the Olympics, what are they going to use the buildings for when the event is over? After I think about it, Daley might just be using this to kick out more section 8 to the burbs.
That is a good question. Where is they going to fit the stadium at? I know its suppose to be on the southside, but I'm wondering is there going to be enough space. And what did Atlanta do with its Olympic stadium?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:56 PM

273 posts, read 667,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
That is a good question. Where is they going to fit the stadium at? I know its suppose to be on the southside, but I'm wondering is there going to be enough space. And what did Atlanta do with its Olympic stadium?
I think around Washington Park. But im not sure.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:54 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,235,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawksfan102 View Post
I have been living in the chicago suburbs my whole life, and have visited both ny and la's suburbs. I noticed that ny and la suburbs have at least one really well known suburb that everyone in the world would know about...In new york they have the hamptons, in los angeles they have the beverly hills, newport beach,etc...I was just thinking, what do you guys think is the beverly hills or the hamptons of chicago? I was also looking at the cost of housing in ny and la suburbs and found out it would be alot more expensive to live there rather than in chicago..I always knew ny and la were expensive because of the coasts, but to me chicago is the same as them if not way better, so if you guys could fill me in on that also it would be great...
The most elite suburbs of Chicago and most reknowned are the North Shore communities that line the shore of Lake Michigan to the north of the city (Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Highwood, Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and several inland adjacent communities). These communities are known for their affluence, top-rated public schools, stunning natural beauty, architecture, and research centers. These communities differ from the Hamptons and Beverly Hills in that they are mostly Republican in nature with a few exceptions.

Oak Park is actually probably the most well known suburb of Chicago. It was the home of Frank Lloyd Wright, Ernest Hemingway, and other historic figures. Today Oak Park is home to a good mix of people and notable current residents include Barack Obama's campaign manager David Axelrod. Oak Park is known as one of the more liberal, if not the most liberal, suburbs of Chicago.

Naperville wasn't well known until it started to grow and began receiving many accolades. Naperville today is known as one of the more affluent communities, but in actuallity it is home to a very diverse population. Naperville is mostly Republican in nature and is situated in DuPage County, the typical center of Republican politics in Illinois.

Hinsdale is very well known for being the center of the "teardown phenominon. Hinsdale is very similar to the North Shore communities and is a strong competitor. Hinsdale is more Republican in nature.

There are many differences about Chicago suburbs as to New York suburbs. Land is significantly more expensive in Chicago suburbs, but less expensive than in Los Angeles. Chicago has more inner-ring communities than New York, but no wealthy inner-ring suburbs that are surrounded by the city like Beverly Hills. Chicago while a Democratic city, is mostly surrounded by Republican suburbs and a Republican downstate, whereas New York is almost solidly Democratic with the exception of part of Long Island, Staten Island, and Northern Jersey.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:45 AM

2,459 posts, read 3,277,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
The most elite suburbs of Chicago and most reknowned are the North Shore communities that line the shore of Lake Michigan to the north of the city (Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Highwood, Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and several inland adjacent communities). These communities are known for their affluence, top-rated public schools, stunning natural beauty, architecture, and research centers. These communities differ from the Hamptons and Beverly Hills in that they are mostly Republican in nature with a few exceptions.

Oak Park is actually probably the most well known suburb of Chicago. It was the home of Frank Lloyd Wright, Ernest Hemingway, and other historic figures. Today Oak Park is home to a good mix of people and notable current residents include Barack Obama's campaign manager David Axelrod. Oak Park is known as one of the more liberal, if not the most liberal, suburbs of Chicago.

Naperville wasn't well known until it started to grow and began receiving many accolades. Naperville today is known as one of the more affluent communities, but in actuallity it is home to a very diverse population. Naperville is mostly Republican in nature and is situated in DuPage County, the typical center of Republican politics in Illinois.

Hinsdale is very well known for being the center of the "teardown phenominon. Hinsdale is very similar to the North Shore communities and is a strong competitor. Hinsdale is more Republican in nature.

There are many differences about Chicago suburbs as to New York suburbs. Land is significantly more expensive in Chicago suburbs, but less expensive than in Los Angeles. Chicago has more inner-ring communities than New York, but no wealthy inner-ring suburbs that are surrounded by the city like Beverly Hills. Chicago while a Democratic city, is mostly surrounded by Republican suburbs and a Republican downstate, whereas New York is almost solidly Democratic with the exception of part of Long Island, Staten Island, and Northern Jersey.
This post gives an accurate depiction. A couple of notes... Evanston is fairly diverse and likely leans democratic, or at least a bit to the left. I wouldn't say OP is the most well-known Chicago suburb. I think that distinction goes to Evanston-- though the comment about Wright is noted (I don't think many people know Hemingway was from OP).

BTW-- to other posters-- can we try to steer away from this becoming a flame war about Chicago being a media backwater, being unknown vs. NYC and LA, and that moronic type of talk? It only took three posts in this thread to wade into those waters. Save that crap for City versus city. On second thought, not even then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs