Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:57 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Harvey is not 100% black, it have a noticeable Hispanic community on the Eastside(1st ward). But don't move to Harvey anyway.
Chicago Heights is not really great. Chicago Heights best area is the Northside of town close to Glenwood. Try South Holland or Blue Island(closer to the city) which are safer and better.
Diverse South Suburbs:
South Holland
Blue Island(close to the city)
Flossmoor
Bolingbrook
Lynwood
Homewood have some diversity
Throw Olympia Fields and Dyer, IN onto this list too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:29 AM

274 posts, read 708,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Oh, come on.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM

274 posts, read 708,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Throw Olympia Fields and Dyer, IN onto this list too.
Dyer doesn't have that many blacks as he wanted. I think the black pop. in Dyer is a little over 1%. If he had to live that far east, he should look into Lynwood, Sauk Village, and maybe even Lansing.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:27 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpuff View Post
That's a good start. Nowadays, to be general, I would say that everywhere between Cicero Ave. and the state line, 127th St. and south all the way to Crete and University Park has a substantial amount of blacks in almost every town. Some more than others of course, and some that are pretty close to 100% black. Some of those very black areas are absolutely miserable places to live and some are alright. Maybe let us know more what you're looking for, how much money to spend, how much crime you're willing to tolerate, how much diversity you'll put up with, if schools are an issue and we can tell you more.

Umm I'm not the one that is looking for a 100% black suburb, the OP is. You not going to find a 100% black suburb. The closest to that are Ford Heights, Robbins, and Riverdale. All three of them are crappy with Riverdale being the best of the three.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
Smile Okay

Quote:
Umm I'm not the one that is looking for a 100% black suburb, the OP is. You not going to find a 100% black suburb. The closest to that are Ford Heights, Robbins, and Riverdale. All three of them are crappy with Riverdale being the best of the three.

I must agree. If I could stomach the area crime, had a really low budget, but I really wanted to be able to live in the suburbs, I'd go for Riverdale before the others. There are pockets of it that aren't bad to live in compared to the rest of the city.

I do wonder what the zip code for Riverdale is? I thought it was 60827?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:08 PM

863 posts, read 2,784,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
Dyer doesn't have that many blacks as he wanted. I think the black pop. in Dyer is a little over 1%. If he had to live that far east, he should look into Lynwood, Sauk Village, and maybe even Lansing.
No, Dyer is not diverse AT. ALL. I have gone DAYS without seeing another black person when I don't travel out of the area.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post

I must agree. If I could stomach the area crime, had a really low budget, but I really wanted to be able to live in the suburbs, I'd go for Riverdale before the others. There are pockets of it that aren't bad to live in compared to the rest of the city.

I do wonder what the zip code for Riverdale is? I thought it was 60827?
The worst part of Riverdale is where the projects/public housing on W. 138th St. are at. Yep the zip code is 60827

Just curious, I think you said you use to live in Beverly. What made you move out?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
I have been wondering the same thing. East Beverly is the model of stable integration -- 30 years of blacks and whites living together, with both groups continuing to move in at a pretty equal rate. Seems like it would be a good fit.

Quote:
The worst part of Riverdale is where the projects/public housing on W. 138th St. are at. Yep the zip code is 60827

Just curious, I think you said you use to live in Beverly. What made you move out?

Old 06-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I have been wondering the same thing. East Beverly is the model of stable integration -- 30 years of blacks and whites living together, with both groups continuing to move in at a pretty equal rate. Seems like it would be a good fit.
Yeah If I live on the far southside, Beverly would be my first choice. I heard Beverly is the safest neighborhood in Chicago. Morgan Park(south of Beverly) is somewhat diverse too and nice from what I seen cruising there. Both are a good alternative if you don't won't to live in the suburbs, but want some space living in the city.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:34 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Morgan Park has a good half and a bad half. The two have nothing to do with each other (other than the name). If you are south of 111th, stay longwood or west and you're good.

Beverly is peaceful and very safe. Problem is the same as with Hyde Park or Oak Park -- it is really close to some areas that are pretty sucky and seem to be getting worse. Just yesterday some goon shot three people at 95th and Loomis. that's not beverly but it's awfully close. Somehow it doesn't spill over, but I could see it making people uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs