Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
*Sigh* Guess I better start the search for a new home. I wonder where I'd be welcome?
If you like CCH, then stay. The majority of the people in the Chicagoland forums live on the Northside, North suburbs, or West suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 PM

274 posts, read 708,889 times
Quote:
*Sigh* Guess I better start the search for a new home. I wonder where I'd be welcome?
Didn't you just move out their?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,918,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
Didn't you just move out their?

Yeah, recently. I just got through planting my garden. I meant my statement more in sarcasm than anything. I like my house too much right now, lol.

I live in the westernmost part of CCH, so the crime hasn't made its way here. I hope it never does

I am planning on staying right here until I decide I want something else. Which is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 PM

274 posts, read 708,889 times
Quote:
Yeah, recently. I just got through planting my garden. I meant my statement more in sarcasm than anything. I like my house too much right now, lol.

I live in the westernmost part of CCH, so the crime hasn't made its way here. I hope it never does

I am planning on staying right here until I decide I want something else. Which is not likely to happen anytime soon.
Thats good. I like west CCH. I wonder if they will build new homes in that section of CCH that is west of I-57 where that forest is?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
Thats good. I like west CCH. I wonder if they will build new homes in that section of CCH that is west of I-57 where that forest is?
I don't think so. That is also a walking trail. I don't think that will go anywhere anytime soon

LOL at least I hope not

Old 07-01-2009, 12:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
No.

You want to better a community, raise property values, make it a desirable area to live in & raise a family in?

Improve the schools.
Chicken v. egg: which came first? Does improving the schools improve the character and culture of the city, or does improving the character and culture of the city improve the schools? You can have the best facilities and the brightest, most enthusiastic teachers and the finest curriculum, but none of that will matter if the kids are little sociopaths. That said, I don't know if that's the case in CCH or what the condition of the schools are there.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Chicken v. egg: which came first? Does improving the schools improve the character and culture of the city, or does improving the character and culture of the city improve the schools? You can have the best facilities and the brightest, most enthusiastic teachers and the finest curriculum, but none of that will matter if the kids are little sociopaths. That said, I don't know if that's the case in CCH or what the condition of the schools are there.

Ah that's the spirit! Finally someone gets it. People always blame things on teachers when sometimes the fault lies entirely with the "student."

Ahh I cannot wait until I am a certified teacher. I wonder what awaits me

Old 07-01-2009, 01:31 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Oh, don't worry, the failures of many school systems are so systemic that teachers get some of the blame too. It's a silly proposition that the social and political dysfunctions that elect politically motivated school boards who in turn oversee lumbering, unresponsive education bureaucracies, who in turn oversee schools packed with apathetic kids raised by apathetic parents (the ones who elected the school board in the first place) can still manage to produce and select only earnest, talented, hard-working teachers. The earnest, talented, hard-working teachers don't want anything to do with train-wreck school districts so they go elsewhere the first chance they get, as evidenced for instance by CPS's ridiculous teacher turnover rate.

I'm sure that by the time you got to high school, you could tell which teachers were actually interested in their profession and which ones were phoning it in and biding their time until they got to collect their pension. I suspect there are more of the latter than the teaching profession would care to admit.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 PM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
deechee,

Have you ever read "The Death and Life of Great American Cities"? It is an old book (ca 1960) by Jane Jacobs about what causes certain neighborhoods/ towns to deteriorate, improve, etc. It mostly focuses on cities rather than suburbs but I believe many of the principles apply. According to this book, when areas experience a turn around, it starts with a few people making something of their lives and not moving out of the neighborhood, rather, they chose to stay and invest in the area. This process takes some time as the reputation of the area needs to gradually recover, but as more good people stay, they create a better place by taking care of their kids properly, not tolerating corruption, etc.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh, don't worry, the failures of many school systems are so systemic that teachers get some of the blame too. It's a silly proposition that the social and political dysfunctions that elect politically motivated school boards who in turn oversee lumbering, unresponsive education bureaucracies, who in turn oversee schools packed with apathetic kids raised by apathetic parents (the ones who elected the school board in the first place) can still manage to produce and select only earnest, talented, hard-working teachers. The earnest, talented, hard-working teachers don't want anything to do with train-wreck school districts so they go elsewhere the first chance they get, as evidenced for instance by CPS's ridiculous teacher turnover rate.

I'm sure that by the time you got to high school, you could tell which teachers were actually interested in their profession and which ones were phoning it in and biding their time until they got to collect their pension. I suspect there are more of the latter than the teaching profession would care to admit.
I am not sure if I am able to work for CPS because I don't live in the city, but I think I'm a bit worried for the future, the kids in the schools, and my job's reputation if this is really what is going on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
deechee,

Have you ever read "The Death and Life of Great American Cities"? It is an old book (ca 1960) by Jane Jacobs about what causes certain neighborhoods/ towns to deteriorate, improve, etc. It mostly focuses on cities rather than suburbs but I believe many of the principles apply. According to this book, when areas experience a turn around, it starts with a few people making something of their lives and not moving out of the neighborhood, rather, they chose to stay and invest in the area. This process takes some time as the reputation of the area needs to gradually recover, but as more good people stay, they create a better place by taking care of their kids properly, not tolerating corruption, etc.

I have read it. Everyone should read that book. I do believe that if people stick together, things like that can happen. I just don't think I understand how to apply that to the suburbs...
People in the suburbs sometimes move out here to get away, not to join together, and that can create a problem, when they are indifferent or uncooperative. Some people take offense when people say things about their town (Yes, sometimes that applies to me too )

Last edited by deechee; 07-01-2009 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs